How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

The big reason I never carried it was that I could never find the right holster that didn't make my pants fall down.

What pistol did you carry?

Either your pants were too large or your rig was too heavy or both. I'm skinny. I carry a very small, very light weight pistol. I would rather have a pair of 1911's or Beretta 92's on me, but practical wear dictates having a smaller handgun on me and that still beats the Hell out of having a larger, more powerful caliber, larger capacity one I left at home.

Finding the combination of a holster, gun belt, clothing and handgun that works takes as much effort as getting a bike that fits properly, a seat that works perfectly with your backside, pedals that work with you riding style and clothing that keep you comfortable on the bike.

No more. No less.

Where are you going to put it where you can get to it? If you put it in the back pocket of your jersey, it's going to weigh down your jersey and might even fall out.

Nope. Ruger LCP in an Uncle Mike's. Stays put in my center jersey pocket. I may not be able to deploy it as fast as a Quick-Draw revolver in a steel-lined competition holster, but it still beats an empty hand every time. It's an inexpensive pistol in an inexpensive holster and the combination works for me. YMMV, of course.

Wear your jerseys cut tighter. There's no sag. No bouncing. No firearm on the pavement.

Other alternatives include a small front bag with a draw pocket, baggy cargo type shorts, shoulder carry, man purse/***** pack, etc.

Also, with the sweating I do, the gun would be rusty in no time.

When Ohio gets hot & humid I sweat like a stuck hog during hard training. Everyone does.

Buy yourself a cheap polymer frame pistol, an aluminum frame pistol and maybe look for one with a stainless steel slide...such as the SIG 938 referenced above. Then, keep the guts clean and lubricated like any responsible firearm owner would that expects his handgun to be available in perfect functioning order to perhaps save his life. No lint. No rust. Ready for action if life suddenly spirals out of control and there's criminals intent upon doing great harm.

I was on a double century and one of my fellow riders wore a ***** pack that he never accessed for food or money or anything during the ride. He also seemed like a Police Officer to me. I did not ask. None of my business and I already knew. Mine either goes in the rear pocket as CampyBob describes or it goes into the a special, hidden vertical slot crafted into my handlebar bag. I can only carry concealed in certain states and for the most part do not consider it necessary and it stays home in the safe but there are times and places where it is like life insurance, airbags in your car, or a fire extinguisher in your house. I've never needed any of those yet either and hope not to.

You will never need life insurance. Someone else may need your life insurance but you won't. :)

If I fake my own death and it eventually pays off to that P.O. Box on St. Kitts...you could say I needed it.

The insurance companies have the fix in Bob, if you can't produce a body , by the time they pay off , you can. Of course you can always...... hmmm, never mind.

OK...so which countries don't have an extradition treaty for insurance fraud?! LOL! When the U.S. Marshals showed up to haul us away the next venue wouldn't be as warm as the Caribbean!

FTA:

The local ski report: http://www.bmbw.com/snow_report.html

Huh? We have black diamonds??? Who knew?

Slopes are graded on the difficulty of the area , not on a comparison to other resorts. One mans black is another mans bunny hill.

This calls for a standardized UCI style of rating system similar to that used to rate climbs from Cat.5 to *****'s Category!

I demand a commission be appointed soon to study this matter. I mean, I could make it down our Black diamonds without going all Sonny Bono, but Colorado?

To each his own I guess but I have never felt threatened in my daily life to where I felt I needed a gun. I have never walked down the streets where I grew up feeling like I couldn't protect myself. Never on the bike and never in a dark alley. So carrying a gun on the bike for me would mean I went soft and scared. There are sections of the trail where we ride where some cyclist have been knocked off their bikes and robbed. I've been alone approaching a couple of gang bangers and my weapon is "the look." The look saying if you f with me, I will rip your throat out. Always works for me. Of course I am big enough to do it. :D

This calls for a standardized UCI style of rating system similar to that used to rate climbs from Cat.5 to *****'s Category!

I demand a commission be appointed soon to study this matter. I mean, I could make it down our Black diamonds without going all Sonny Bono, but Colorado?

My advise is for you to stay away from the blacks since they tend to be dangerous. Of course if you are looking for the quality powder look to the blacks.

Ja mon. I be a Pastafarian. Some dreads and I'll blend in with the locals.

I have never walked down the streets where I grew up feeling like I couldn't protect myself. Never on the bike and never in a dark alley. So carrying a gun on the bike for me would mean I went soft and scared.

Most triggers break with under 7 pound pull weight and many are in the 4 pound range. That 145-pound scrawny, drugaholic meth head gangster wannbee over there? He's got more than enough strength to kill a couple MMA champions tucked in his waistband.

It's not about who has the bigger biceps anymore and most of the bad guys aren't interested in fist fights. The Jets and the Sharks ain't the MS13 or the Bloods. Sadly, the country has changed. Radically.

Most triggers break with under 7 pound pull weight and many are in the 4 pound range. That 145-pound scrawny, drugaholic meth head gangster wannbee over there?

Exactly, and having a gun in my waist band ain't going to help me when he shoots me in the back 10 times by surprise. Bad guys don't walk up to you and say, "I'm about to rob you, get your gun out". They whack you in the back of your head when you aren't expecting it then take your gun and shoot you with it. At least that is what I would do if I was a meth head so really having a gun in your waist band won't help either. Element of surprise!

At least that is what I would do if I was a meth head so really having a gun in your waist band won't help either.

Most meth heads are not rational in their thoughts or actions. I'll take being armed every time over being empty handed when confronted by people with no functioning brain cells Hell bent on wrecking havoc.

Gun for mtn biking only, 44 spl bulldog, noise for bears, bullet for cougars.

Nice!

Most meth heads are not rational in their thoughts or actions. I'll take being armed every time over being empty handed when confronted by people with no functioning brain cells Hell bent on wrecking havoc.

Well in California the methheads are very organized. There were maybe 3 or 4 robberies on the trail within a 2 month span. A meth head would shove an old bike in front of an oncoming cyclist. As soon as he went down, 2 other meth heads would jump on his back to pin him down with a knife while the other meth head searched his pockets and seat packs etc.

Maybe we just have better meth out here I dunno. But in this case, unless you are Quick Draw McGraw, you would have been El Kabonged on the head, robbed of your gun. If not robbed of it, shot with it.

It was all over the forums around that time. Luckily after 3 or 4 robberies all in the same style, the guys were arrested.
0quick.JPG

What pistol did you carry?

Either your pants were too large or your rig was too heavy or both. I'm skinny. I carry a very small, very light weight pistol. I would rather have a pair of 1911's or Beretta 92's on me, but practical wear dictates having a smaller handgun on me and that still beats the Hell out of having a larger, more powerful caliber, larger capacity one I left at home.

Finding the combination of a holster, gun belt, clothing and handgun that works takes as much effort as getting a bike that fits properly, a seat that works perfectly with your backside, pedals that work with you riding style and clothing that keep you comfortable on the bike.

No more. No less.

Ruger P89, .45 1911, both heavy guns. To be honest, I have never seen the need to carry a gun on the bike. Even the dogs that chase me, don't deserve to be shot, and God help me if I did shoot somebody's dog. That happened in my neighborhood. A guy walking his dog had his dog attacked by a Bull Masitff. He shot the dog and was convicted of reckless handling of a firearm on a city street. He finally won his case on appeal because it was self defense, but what a hassle to go through. We have some strange laws. It's okay in Va. to open carry or even carry concealed if you get the permit, but God help you if you use it in defense of your life or your dog's life.

Ruger P89, .45 1911, both heavy guns. To be honest, I have never seen the need to carry a gun on the bike. Even the dogs that chase me, don't deserve to be shot, and God help me if I did shoot somebody's dog. That happened in my neighborhood. A guy walking his dog had his dog attacked by a Bull Masitff. He shot the dog and was convicted of reckless handling of a firearm on a city street. He finally won his case on appeal because it was self defense, but what a hassle to go through. We have some strange laws. It's okay in Va. to open carry or even carry concealed if you get the permit, but God help you if you use it in defense of your life or your dog's life.

Heck, I've been riding bikes since I was a kid. I grew up in the hood and even then I never needed a gun to protect myself. The problem with guns is that most that think they know how to handle a guy are the most dangerous. Couple of articles the other day. Mother shot 27 year old daughter visiting from out of state. Heard footsteps, woke up bang, dead daughter.

Another was a kid that decided to ditch school. Crawled in through the basement, father shot hitting teen in neck, bang another dead person.

The only way to beat somebody on the bike with a gun is to draw first and ask questions later like the people in these stories. But then the dude approaching you might have only been wanting to ask you for a cigarette. Shoot him, ask questions later! But the dude who gets you is going to surprise you, not announce his attack.

r father, Donald Meyer, 57, shut the door, police told the station. Then, according to police, he opened it again and aimed a .223-caliber rifle at the constable.

“Constable Steele, who was in uniform, quickly removed his .40 caliber duty weapon from its holster and fired a single round striking the suspect in his upper left arm,” police said, according to CNN."

Happened today.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-just-hope-she-didnt-suffer’-constable-accidentally-kills-12-year-old-girl-during-eviction/ar-CCutMs?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=spartandhp

Situational awareness and training go a long way.
The only way to beat somebody on the bike with a gun is to draw first and ask questions later like the people in these stories.

The older gentleman on the Pennsylvania bike path that was jumped and thumped by 3 ghetto rats managed to kill one and shoot one in the neck after the crash on the bike when he was ambushed. The third thug ran away while shitting himself.

Read all about it: http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361731

No sir! No way will I go out among the savages unarmed. There is nothing anyone can say that will erase what I know.

You may not get the chance to defend yourself. Then again, you might. I'll go with the latter option.

Last edited: