How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Joe West

Sep 17, 2004
Just wondering how many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment? Here in Arizona we can legally carry open and concealed (concealed with permit).

For long distance touring and bicycle camping... I think I'd feel safer carrying my .45 semi-auto pistol (concealed so it doesn't freak people out).

Anyone else carry while biking?

JW

Are you sick? What attitude is that? You also wear a gun while going to the theatre with your girl?
Well I guess it's just typical american behaviour. I saw that movie once "Bowling for Columbine". You should watch that, it gives you a whole other look on the carrying of weapons.
Answer to you question: No I don't carry a weapon on training!

Wow, I wish I could conceal my .45 (Para-Ord P14, steel) but at full size, its impossible for all but Hoss Cartwright. I have needed one twice on a ride, or would have felt better having one. One instance was a meth-making skinhead who didn't like me riding past his property on the public road. He ran me and my partner off the road and thankfully my CCW training enabled me to de-escalate the situation. The other time was off-road riding encounter with a pack of dogs belonging to a vagrant squatter.

My current choice is a Kel-Tec P3-AT. 10 ounces loaded, locked breech, recoil operated semi-auto with a 6 round magazine. Its good enough in my hands for "velo-dog" use (small revolvers traditionally carried by cyclinsts in the early 1900's) but being .380, adequate for self-defense when loaded with +P Cor Bons. A spare magazine is only an additional 3 ounces. For the weight of a small water bottle, I have adequate defense. I have yet to use it and my cycling partners don't know I carry.

Joe West said:
Just wondering how many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment? Here in Arizona we can legally carry open and concealed (concealed with permit).

For long distance touring and bicycle camping... I think I'd feel safer carrying my .45 semi-auto pistol (concealed so it doesn't freak people out).

JW
The temptation to use one on morons woud be too great. By the time I find a club or big rock thay gave usually escaped.If you are camping alone, something better than a pocket knife or mace probably is a good idea. Jeff Cooper likes .45s.

Joe West said:

JW
Gee Joe, you have really shook ol Routier's tree. LMAO. I have a concealed carry permit, but have never carried one on a bike. We yanks are such savages!! :D

I guess its just a cultural difference. Here... a gun is nothing more than a tool. It can be used for fun (target shooting), sport (shooting competitions, hunting), or for protection (against two or four legged animals).

The movie "Bowling for Columbine" is pure fiction... snippets of reality strung together between fictional script to tell a fictional story. I assume you are from another country, so I suspect you would not be able to detect American truth from American fiction.

And to answer your question; yes, I carry a gun into a theater with my wife (former girlfriend)... and my wife also carries a gun. In fact; she is out on a hiking trail right now packing a .40S&W Glock. Pitty the two or four legged animal which threatens her or the friends she is hiking with.

If you have more questions or comments... please, rather than be openly irritated on this forum... feel free to contact me at:

[email protected]

Kind Regards,

Joe

I have a NAA Guardian .380... chosen cartridge is a Fedral Hydra-Shock. It's a good "eyeball" (stick it in the bad guys eyball and pull the trigger) pistol, but more than about 25 feet and it isn't very accurate.

Glad to see others with the same second-amendment mindset.

Joe

Weisse Luft said:
Wow, I wish I could conceal my .45 (Para-Ord P14, steel) but at full size, its impossible for all but Hoss Cartwright. I have needed one twice on a ride, or would have felt better having one. One instance was a meth-making skinhead who didn't like me riding past his property on the public road. He ran me and my partner off the road and thankfully my CCW training enabled me to de-escalate the situation. The other time was off-road riding encounter with a pack of dogs belonging to a vagrant squatter.

My current choice is a Kel-Tec P3-AT. 10 ounces loaded, locked breech, recoil operated semi-auto with a 6 round magazine. Its good enough in my hands for "velo-dog" use (small revolvers traditionally carried by cyclinsts in the early 1900's) but being .380, adequate for self-defense when loaded with +P Cor Bons. A spare magazine is only an additional 3 ounces. For the weight of a small water bottle, I have adequate defense. I have yet to use it and my cycling partners don't know I carry.

This has been talked about recently. For me it depends on where I am riding, I'll carry my S&W ti .38. Since I sometimes ride in or on the border of the worst precient in the city, to me having it just like wearing my helmet, common sense.
When I ride further out in the suburbs I leave it at home.

I did a forum search on "guns" and came up short... perhaps I should have tried "weapons" or something else. I'll give it another search...

Detroit... ya... I think I'd be carrying also :)

sbouge said:
This has been talked about recently. For me it depends on where I am riding, I'll carry my S&W ti .38. Since I sometimes ride in or on the border of the worst precient in the city, to me having it just like wearing my helmet, common sense.
When I ride further out in the suburbs I leave it at home.

I spring-loaded the butt of mine, and concaved the end of the barrel, which has allowed me to attach it to my bike just like a frame pump.

O my god, your right. It's prolly a cultural difference. Here in Belgium almost no one carries a gun. But if you mention animals and stuff I can understand more. Here in Belgium you wouldn't run into a bear or something like that (luckely). I guess that if there would be a chance I'd have to cross roads with a bear or a wild cat I'd like to have a gun on my side. But here the most savage animal I've ever encountered was a cow that was eating gras from the side of the road, so you can't compare it I guess. Sorry for my rather assertive answer.

Routier said:
O my god, your right. It's prolly a cultural difference. Here in Belgium almost no one carries a gun. But if you mention animals and stuff I can understand more. Here in Belgium you wouldn't run into a bear or something like that (luckely). I guess that if there would be a chance I'd have to cross roads with a bear or a wild cat I'd like to have a gun on my side. But here the most savage animal I've ever encountered was a cow that was eating gras from the side of the road, so you can't compare it I guess. Sorry for my rather assertive answer.
Bad 2 legged polecats have always been more an issue than bears or wildcats.I bet in most european countries you couldn't carry a gun if you wanted to.Also true of a number of more liberal states and cities in the U.S.

I'm a police officer in Los Angeles County and when I first started riding recreationally (5 years ago) I used to carry my back-up duty weapon (Ti S&W 5-shot revolver). When I became more familiar with my routes and became more competative, I stopped carrying a weapon. It seemed stupid to me to spend 6K on a sub 16lbs bike, only to weigh it down with a weapon (even a hyperlight). I do enjoy weapons. I have 3 handguns and 3 rifles and shoot competitively, but, at the end of the day, I feel that I am fit and aware of my surroundings enough that I can get away from most knuckleheads with my bike. If they can run fast enough to catch me, or if they surprize me, then I deserve to get mugged. It's just motivation to train harder and a reminder not to get complacent.

I personally do not carry any weapon of any kind, nor do I own any permit for such. In Israel you would expect it to be required, but I believe it is not of much use in case of real danger and on the other hand it is a source of many potential troubles. The solution is to avoid regions of conflict: There are plenty of areas - road and off road - to cycle safely without the need to carry extra weight. I have enough trouble with my heavy lock... which is a must anywhere:(

Could you post a picture of you with your cannon in tow? Is the cannon a 155 Howie?

:D

Joe West said:
Could you post a picture of you with your cannon in tow? Is the cannon a 155 Howie?

:D

Yeah, give us the goods, did you go with the FH-70, or the more versatile FH-77? :)

Road riding, no. Mtb, LLama 380 auto with hollowpoints. Guess I saw the movie "Deliverance" too many times as a kid.