how many accidents

I saw a kid punted by a Caddy when I was a teenager. He flew about 40 yards and was DOI. That image stays with me and so I am really sensitive to putting kids in danger near cars. Anyway, it looked dicey. I could see toting your kid along the boardwalk or going for a Sunday ride on a quiet street, but in heavy traffic on a very fast section of road it seemed overly optimistic.

Originally Posted by rxter .

I saw a kid punted by a Caddy when I was a teenager. He flew about 40 yards and was DOI. That image stays with me and so I am really sensitive to putting kids in danger near cars. Anyway, it looked dicey. I could see toting your kid along the boardwalk or going for a Sunday ride on a quiet street, but in heavy traffic on a very fast section of road it seemed overly optimistic.
Yeah, those things can leave you wondering. There was a recent study that found that riders gave more room to bike's with trailers and the like and to kids, I believe. I'm trying to remember where I read the study. One thing to keep in mind is that humans tend to over estimate the danger or risk of doing a given thing. When I was a skydiving instructor, I saw a few construction workers worried they would "go in" (i.e. "bounce") on their first jump, when the fact was and is that skydiving is less dangerous than construction and not nearly as dangerous as people think.

When I worked as medic, I treated a lot of kids that were hurt, some very badly, some mortally. When I became a dad, the images of those kids and the memory of how they got hurt were with me and it was and still is a bit of a struggle to push those memories to the back and let reason rule. Of course, what defines reason is dependent on each individual making that decision.

Its better to save yourself from a car unless it may hit you because nowadays, as the cars became easy to drive most of the drivers take less care about road safety. Someone may hit your bike while texting in his car or anyone, who is under 18 and not get his license yet. So take care of yourself.

Distracted phoning and texting motorist concern me the most. But.... texting motorist seem to hit other cars that have stopped... and even parked delivery trucks around here. I am not convinced that a lower bicycle configuration would pose a significantly greater risk than an upright bicycle would. I'd guess that keeping up with the flow of traffic [or not] would be the bigger safety factor.

Surviving a crash by wearing a helmet might be the best way to stay alive while cycling (that and cycling sober).

I'm not surprised. Sorry to hear that, hope you are ok. I'm not sure I get the purpose of this odd bike, but that's just me. I saw a lady one time who was very over weight on one of these. It was like she was lying there in a recliner. I was waiting for her to pull out a bag of potato chips and let the crumbs fall on her chest. Lol, I mean are you exercising or sleeping? The neck, you have to put your neck in this awkward position. The best part about a bicycle is how it works your body. You engage your torso, legs, and butt. The typical biker's butt and legs are amazing. I really don't think it will happen on this reclining ride.

I recall nearly driving over a recumbent at an intersection as it was lower than my bonnet and hence out of view. The only thing that saved me from driving over it was the flag that fortunately was visible.

I've never had an accident like that on a recumbent bike, but that is just me personally. Maybe you're just unlucky.

Yeah, a lot of people are just blind. Bikers need to be noticed more - accidents occur in a handful - so, distinguish yourself.

I actually have no major accident to speak of although in my younger days I've had some crashes, hahahaaa. But anyway, it is risky for a rider now than before because of the much traffic on the road. In the olden days, the roads are almost empty so you can ride even in the main roads. But now even the secondary roads experience heavy traffic at times. And with the rude drivers on the road, you are lucky to escape the high probability of accidents.

I have actually been questioning whether to get a recumbent bike due to the accident risk. I'd like to use the bike to commute, but I've heard of a lot, and actually seen one accident here in Wilmington. To make matters worse, Wilmington drivers have a tendency to be a bit reckless. For those of you who haven't had accidents, do you live in smaller towns or larger cities?

I'm glad to hear you're recovering from your accident, Adam. Recumbent bikes do have a lower profile than upright bikes, making them less visible to drivers. However, a study by the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that recumbent bikes accounted for only 0.2% of bicycle accidents, while upright bikes made up 99.8%. So, no, you weren't just unlucky, statistically speaking. You were incredibly unlucky. My sarcastic but helpful tip for you is to invest in a neon orange vest and a blinking light for your bike. It's either that or get used to the idea of being a human hood ornament. Good luck! :) ;)