How exact does the size of the BB need to be?

TheDL

Jul 1, 2004
The crank I'm getting says it uses a 118mm bottom bracket. But when it comes to choices of makes and models that come in the 118mm size it's very limited. I see some mfgs make bottom brackets in 117 and 119 sizes....do I really need to stick w/ 118mm or can I go one millimeter in either direction to open up some different options for me?

Originally posted by TheDL
The crank I'm getting says it uses a 118mm bottom bracket. But when it comes to choices of makes and models that come in the 118mm size it's very limited. I see some mfgs make bottom brackets in 117 and 119 sizes....do I really need to stick w/ 118mm or can I go one millimeter in either direction to open up some different options for me?
It won't matter as long as the taper is the same as the crank,ISO or JIS, or compatible spline pattern if that is the case.

Originally posted by boudreaux
It won't matter as long as the taper is the same as the crank,ISO or JIS, or compatible spline pattern if that is the case.

Really? Cool. But I probably wouldn't want to go too much shorter or too much longer right? Not like 115mm or 122mm.

It's the normal Square Taper....not sure if there's a more technical abbreviation for it.