Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Help in buying a new road bike please

Started by indep · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,117 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
23 June 2010
Last activity
24 June 2010
Original author
indep
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,117
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    I've been commuting to work for the last couple of months and I am using a department store road bike, which was ok to begin with but like all department store bikes, it has started to fall apart and every week I have to tweak different parts, so I was looking for a reliable road bike that I can use to commute to work and back (20kms each way) mostly paved.
    I saw this site and heard good reviews, I saw this one model in particular, and the price fits my budget and I wanted to know if you guys could help me out and let me know if this is worth it for my needs and if it will last. That's really my main concern, that the bike lasts at least a few years...
    Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Motobecane Grand Record

    Thanks

  2. Nothing wrong with that bike...but you can't ride it to see if you like it, which may or may not be an issue for you. Try going to your local bike shops in the area and ride several bikes in that price range to see if anything they have might interest you.

    For a $100 more you can get what appears to be an excellent deal with way better component package at the same site you mentioned: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/aerott.htm

    But there are good bikes at the LBS's like Jamis Ventura Comp, Giant OCR 3, Trek 1000, Schwinn Fastback Sport, Felt Z100 and more that fall into your price range.

    Also if you wait till September the LBS's and maybe that web site will have their end of the season sales.

  3. indep said:

    Hello,
    I've been commuting to work for the last couple of months and I am using a department store road bike, which was ok to begin with but like all department store bikes, it has started to fall apart and every week I have to tweak different parts, so I was looking for a reliable road bike that I can use to commute to work and back (20kms each way) mostly paved.
    I saw this site and heard good reviews, I saw this one model in particular, and the price fits my budget and I wanted to know if you guys could help me out and let me know if this is worth it for my needs and if it will last. That's really my main concern, that the bike lasts at least a few years...
    Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Motobecane Grand Record

    Thanks

    A good, used hybrid with added fenders, rack and panniers, and light set might serve as a nice commuter. As far as bikes direct, the $459 Dawes Lightning Cross and $499 Motobecane Fantom CX caught my eye. A cyclocross bike set-up as a commuter might give you a good deal of flexibility and versatility in your riding. Anybody else agree?

  4. cycleheimer said:

    A good, used hybrid with added fenders, rack and panniers, and light set might serve as a nice commuter. As far as bikes direct, the $459 Dawes Lightning Cross and $499 Motobecane Fantom CX caught my eye. A cyclocross bike set-up as a commuter might give you a good deal of flexibility and versatility in your riding. Anybody else agree?

    Agree as well, if he wants the option of fenders etc.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.