Went window shopping today at a few LBS. Saw 4 bikes that I would consider, and felt much better about my knowledge of bikes after leaving the shops. (Although I'm still at step one)
I also have a few questions (I will post at the end) that if I could get some answers to, would be really helpful.
To The Point:
My main concern is that I do not want to make a mistake (in purchasing) that I will regret. All 4 bikes are within $100 price-point. Forgive me, as I did not get the exact model names of each bike.
I was sized and fitted by a friendly salesperson at the first shop. 61cm
Giant - $799
Raleigh - $729
Trek - $879
Specialized - $879
I have done a bike ride across Iowa, so I have a few hundred miles of seat time, but no other experience on a road bike. My plans are to start off for enjoyment, and training....but with my competitive nature, I can definately see myself POSSIBLY getting into races at a later date.
I have come to grips with the fact that this is the base price that I'm looking at for a new bike. I do not feel comfortable (with my knowledge at this time) to buy a used bike, because I don't know exactly the things to look for.
**
If I do get serious about riding in the future, I don't want to end up with a bike that I'm not pleased with, and can't see myself cranking money into a bike that wouldnt really be worth upgrading.
My BIG roadblock right now, is seeing these bikes for a little more than half the price that would PROBABLY suit my purpose just fine.
Has anyone had prior experience with purchasing a bike and later regretting it, or possibly settling for the lower priced bike, and realizing that it was all you needed.
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:
Do the additional gears make a huge difference in the performance of the bike?
Any particular brands that is not a great deal at the prices I have listed?
Are prices at bike shops negotiable (on new bikes)?
Thanks in advance!