Hello everyone Im 47 and within the past 1.5 months got back into cycling. I quit using tobaco and had a triple hurnia surgery so put on a few extra pounds augh. So I thought the best way to burn it off would be to start cycling agn. A friend of mine sold me his used Timberlin Trailblazer said it was about 28 years old.rides very nice Anyway where I live in central Wisconsin is farely hilly in the time I started back I've conquered all hills and have no prob riding 30 miles, I ride or jog everyday my average ride is about 12 mi before I go to work and on wknds I do the longer ones.. My goal is to ride 50 comfortably by Aug 13 there is an event in my home town and would love to make the 50 trail. It's beautiful where I live and very nice to see the scenery from a saddle rather than a car seat plus my Dr will b very pleased at the weight I've lost lol. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself tell everyone how and why I got back into it Now why are you all reading this? Shouldnt you be out riding a trail or road somewhere? 🙂
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Hello getting back into the swing of things
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Road Cycling
- Published
- 15 June 2011
- Last activity
- 16 June 2011
- Original author
- Packerbacker
- Posts
- 5
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 769
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
First congrats on getting the tobacco monkey off your chest.
At age 47 and you can ride 30 miles with no problems means going to 50 miles is no issue by Aug 13th. Here is a chart to help get you there: kintera.orghtmlcontent.aspOpen ↗
Your already doing 30 so just start out on the first week and in the 4th week is your 50 mile ride (that's the Saturday with 48 miles, you just stretch it 2 more miles). If your doing several 30 mile rides each week now, you could start at week 2 instead and go into the 5th week at 53 miles on a Saturday which means you would be a bit ahead of the 50 mile run which would be good.
Also if you feel really ambitious you should have seen that that chart will get you to 100 miles in as little as 8 weeks...just 4 more weeks of training after you reach your 50 milestone ride!!
But follow the program exactly, it's designed so you don't hurt yourself or over tire yourself. So don't alter it even though you think you can do more especially during the week.
-
Excellent thank you very much for the chart and encourgement now if the weather holds out this weekend as the weatherman says it's going to I'll go for 40 🙂
-
Quoted post said:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
Excellent thank you very much for the chart and encourgement now if the weather holds out this weekend as the weatherman says it's going to I'll go for 40 🙂
Again, don't push yourself to hard to fast or your going to suffer physical exhaustion and have a difficult ride come the 50 mile event. Follow the schedule I gave you and you will be better off. This means instead of 40 this Saturday your doing 36. I know 40 is only 4 more miles but you want to work up a bit more gradual and take less of a risk of becoming over tired or getting hurt. It also means you take the day off in the middle of the week that's programmed. That's just my advice, you can do whatever you want, but you'll have a better chance of greater accomplishment if you follow the program.
-
Very true looked at the schedule had to modify the days a bit as I work nites m-fri am but other than that the milage looks good and will concentrate on it. I plan on doing some light jogging as well 2 - 5 mi sev times a wk especially on the light days of riding. Again thanks for the advice 🙂
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.