Hello from NYC!

kizel

Jan 12, 2011
Hello everyone! I love biking and want to start making it a part of my weekly routine. I live not too far away from the bike path along the hudson river and would like to do that ride a few times a week. I want to be regularly biking when spring comes, so I am just doing the planning now.

I need to get myself properly equipped and see if anyone can suggest some folks who ride along the river path who would not mind a beginner to join them. I am just starting out, but would like to take cycling seriously and do some of the bike tours around NY.

First and foremost, I need to get myself a good road bike (<1000k). I don't know where to begin. Advice?

What are some good resources for starting out?

Thanks, and I look forward to joining the community.

- Mark

Welcome to the forums Mark. Your LBS can help you out with most of your questions. Most shops organise rides for all levels of riders. It is a good place to meet people with similar goals in your area. This is a good time to start in on cycling you can usually get the best deals on left over bikes from last year. All of the major manufactures have good offerings in the 1000 range. The most important feature of a bike is fit make sure you buy a bike that fits properly. Good Luck and enjoy your venture into cycling.

Thanks for your advice. I am going to check out a few shops in Brooklyn. I hope to do the bike NYC race (42 miles) in May. Thanks!

Hey man, if you're looking for someone to ride with i'm in battery park city and am always down to ride. Shoot me an e-mail and we can figure something out. [email protected]

I would suggest checking out craigslist for some good deals. I bought my current bike from there and it has served me well. Did you wind up doing the bike tour? I heard it was a nightmare in Brooklyn. Are there any others in NYC here? Chime in!

the best bike shop in the planet R&A cycles in parkslope brooklyn. also, check out Prospect park for training rides.

Welcome to the forum, dear friend. This is one of the best places on the Internet for the cyclists like us. Feel free to post and enjoy the forum. See you in the threads.