Like an idiot, I dropped my bike today, and now the handlebars and the front wheel are totally out of line. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I hope I didn't ruin the thing!
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Handlebars and front wheel aren't in line
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 10 September 2011
- Last activity
- 12 September 2011
- Original author
- austin1
- Posts
- 2
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,821
- Views / 30 days
- 8
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Most likely all you've done is spun the stem relative to the front fork which is very easy to fix and generally only requires an allen wrench to fix depending on the vintage and design of your stem.
If your bike is relatively modern you'll have a threadless stem and you adjust it like this:
if you have an older quill style stem (used with threaded headsets) you just have to loosen the single bolt mounted vertically through the stem, perhaps tap the bolt to loosen the expander, rotate the stem back into position and re-tighten the expander bolt. It looks something like:
Good bike maintenance advice here as well: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/categories/headset-service
-Dave
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.