UK and Europe · Public discussion

Halfords High Mount Cycle Carrier - for Ford Mondeo hatch (post 2002 model)

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 4 posts · 599 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 September 2006
Last activity
4 September 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
599
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I wonder if anybody can help ... I've purchased one of these for my
    Mondeo (and my wife's Peugeot 307) as my little lad is getting quite
    into cycling (especially whilst he sits in the baby seat doing very
    little but pushing me in the back giggling 'FASTER! FASTER!'😉.

    I went to install this on Sunday and everything was going fine until I
    came to install the side straps. These have a metallic 'hook' that
    goes around the side of the tailgate. Now, on the Mondeo the tailgate
    is glass from left to right (albeit supported with some metal on the
    underside) but I got a little nervous at that point and held off going
    any further.

    Question - has anybody used one of these carriers with a similar design
    of tailgate, was it OK to install and did you put any foam protection
    around the area to be clamped to protect the glass?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Paul

  2. Quoted message said:


    Question - has anybody used one of these carriers with a similar design
    of tailgate, was it OK to install and did you put any foam protection
    around the area to be clamped to protect the glass?

    I don't know about the particular model of carrier but when I bought
    mine I had to get a special pair of straps to replace the metal hooks
    to allow it to be used with an edge-to-edge glass tailgate. The new
    straps have a plastic dumbells on the end which go inside the boot with
    the straps being fed out around the edge of the tailgate. When you
    pull the straps tight they pull through the gap between tailgate and
    frame until the dumbells but up against the frame.

  3. POHB said:
    Quoted message said:


    Question - has anybody used one of these carriers with a similar design
    of tailgate, was it OK to install and did you put any foam protection
    around the area to be clamped to protect the glass?

    I don't know about the particular model of carrier but when I bought
    mine I had to get a special pair of straps to replace the metal hooks
    to allow it to be used with an edge-to-edge glass tailgate. The new
    straps have a plastic dumbells on the end which go inside the boot with
    the straps being fed out around the edge of the tailgate. When you
    pull the straps tight they pull through the gap between tailgate and
    frame until the dumbells but up against the frame.

    Interestingly enough these dumbells are supplied for the straps that go
    into the TOP of the tailgate, but not the side ones ... I'll see if
    Halfords can supply additional dumbells. Thanks for that.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I wonder if anybody can help ... I've purchased one of these for my
    Mondeo (and my wife's Peugeot 307) as my little lad is getting quite
    into cycling (especially whilst he sits in the baby seat doing very
    little but pushing me in the back giggling 'FASTER! FASTER!'😉.

    I went to install this on Sunday and everything was going fine until I
    came to install the side straps. These have a metallic 'hook' that
    goes around the side of the tailgate. Now, on the Mondeo the tailgate
    is glass from left to right (albeit supported with some metal on the
    underside) but I got a little nervous at that point and held off going
    any further.

    Question - has anybody used one of these carriers with a similar
    design of tailgate, was it OK to install and did you put any foam
    protection around the area to be clamped to protect the glass?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Paul

    ISTR having the aforementioned dumbells supplied with the carrier (~6 yrs
    ago). My latest vehicle has the same problem as yours, but I've just
    re-routed the side straps to the metal bottom of the tailgate, and had no
    problems with lateral movements, even carrying 2 adult bikes. Obviously this
    is not how it's supposed to be used, so don't do it, but I'm just reporting
    my experience. I've had more trouble finding somewhere to attach the straps
    that go underneath. I have to screw in a towing hook & clip to that on one
    side. My car (Octavia Estate) seems to be almost completely boxed in under
    the back end.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.