Roger said:The secret is what they actually mean by Grid Reference. A secret you
apparently weren't in on and now suggest doesn't matter.
If I'm not in on it, then the fact that I can use maps and grids anyway
is yet another demonstration it's a non-issue.
Quoted message said:There are 2 issues at stake. The first is the commonsense one that you
don't expect to be deliberately misinformed by purveyors of facts. The
second is that when you are aiming at something approximate you are
better off if your target is at the middle of the expected range, not
the extreme end.
But if you're at a suitable degree of accuracy then it's more or less on
it anyway.
If you want to convince me (or anyone else) this is a genuine problem it
would help if you could highlight, preferably with real map example(s),
how a feature will easily get lost or the wrong one picked up because of
using one assumption rather than the other. I don't think it's a
problem because I've never come across such a thing happening, and that
you've never yet highlighted problems beyond abstract theoretical ones
suggests to me that you haven't either. Otherwise you can go through
life worrying about it and I'll just do my navigation without Big
Secrets, but knowing where I am and finding where I'm going anyway...
Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/