The wife and I are planning a once-in-a-lifetime trip. We can't do both - so if you had the choice would you go to Europe for a week to see the TdF, or would you go to see the Giro?
The pure spectacle of the Tour is very very appealing. But the Giro has always been a favorite of mine.
I will make this trip myself someday. If you can only go to one and that will be your only trip, you gotta go to the TdF. It is the grandaddy for a reason.
I've never been to the Giro... but would really like to. I did the TdF in 2003 and it was great.
My words of advice....
To me it is/was a waste of time to wait all day to watch the riders go by in too fast to take photos, and if you are looking through a camera you miss them actually going by. Either plan to be at the beginning or the end of a stage. The villages and cities will have little "carnival-like" festivities and in some cases you can watch the stage in a bar on TV... then walk out as to see the end when the time comes. This was much more enjoyable then spending hours waiting for 10 seconds. If you want to go to a climb, get there the day before hand to get a good spot and camp out.
Wow, hard choice. I would have to choose the Tdf. It's the biggest for a reason. You could always go the Tdf and then decide it was so great that you will find a way to go the Giro. Good luck.
Giro - better scenery, better food, race scene is more laid back has less security and more access, and most years is a better race too. It is a vacation after all.