General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Gluten & yeast free vegan recipes?

Started by Fiona · · Last activity · 2 posts · 615 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 May 2004
Last activity
27 May 2004
Original author
Fiona
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
615
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sarah said above (in a different thread): "I change recipes
    from books quite a lot as my husband is gluten intolerant so
    finding vegan gluten-free recipes is very difficult."

    I thought a new thread was more appropriate to reply to
    this. I eat mostly vegan food, but have to follow a yeast-
    free diet. A lot of vegan food, especially cheese
    substitutes etc, contain yeast so it can be quite hard. Also
    a good friend has just been diagnosed as having coeliacs
    disease so has to eat gluten-free, so I'd be interested in
    gluten-free, yeast-free vegan recipes.

    Sarah - I've tried making things with gluten-free flour as a
    direct substitute for wheat flour. You seem to need slightly
    more liquid with gluten free flour. Also with things like
    gluten & yeast free bread - it you reheat it just slightly
    before eating it it tastes *much* better.

    Fiona

  2. Fiona <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I thought a new thread was more appropriate to reply to
    this. I eat


    mostly

    Quoted message said:

    vegan food, but have to follow a yeast-free diet. A lot of
    vegan food, especially cheese substitutes etc, contain
    yeast so it can be quite


    hard.

    Quoted message said:

    Also a good friend has just been diagnosed as having
    coeliacs disease


    so has

    Quoted message said:

    to eat gluten-free, so I'd be interested in gluten-free,
    yeast-free


    vegan

    Quoted message said:

    recipes.

    I'd recommend the book "Vegetarian Cooking Without" by
    Barbara Cousins if you can get it. I've tried quite a few
    recipes from it now and they have all worked perfectly.

    Thw "Without bit refers to the fact that they are
    vegetarian recipes free from Added Gluten, Sugar, Yeast,
    Dairy Products, Meat, Fish, Saturated Fat . And very tasty
    they are too!

    I've just cheked and Amazon has is from 5.75 UKP for a
    second hand one.mazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0722538979/qid=1085422188/sr=1-
    1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-0476684-8874834

    Quoted message said:

    Sarah - I've tried making things with gluten-free flour as
    a direct substitute for wheat flour. You seem to need
    slightly more liquid with gluten free flour.

    I find that a sticky liquid helps too. In sweet dishes,
    pureed apple can be good. I'm thinking of trying a
    pureed courgette (zuchinni) to see if that helps stick
    it all together.

    Quoted message said:

    Also with things like gluten & yeast free bread - it you
    reheat it just slightly before eating it it tastes
    *much* better.

    Definately. My husband doesn't like commercial GF bread,
    so I don't buy it often, but occassionally make bread at
    home. It's usually eaten fresh from the oven the first
    day, toasted the second and then made into breadcrumbs for
    the freezer.

    Sarah
    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.