Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

glueless patches

Started by Andrew Morris · · Last activity · 95 posts · 3,399 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
21 December 2003
Last activity
5 January 2004
Original author
Andrew Morris
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,399
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I agree- I carry a tube, a patch kit, and some glueless patches - but - I
    would have to get around six flats on a ride before I had to use the glueless
    patches. But I carry them anyway, becaues they are so ridiculously small. They
    are in the same category as extra spokes, power links, tape, etc- they are
    light and easy to carry but could potentially help me (or other riders) in a
    big way.

    Sheldon Brown said:

    Andrew Morris asked:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    has anyone had any problems with glueless patches unsticking
    themselves when they have some pressure put to them?

    Pete Biggs responded:

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, but I've also had success on other occasions with Giyo gluless
    patches at 130psi. They tend to be more reliable in dry conditions, but
    still best saved for emergencies only, and then replaced promptly with a
    proper patch.

    Why patch tube twice, when you only need to do it once if you do it
    right? That seems like a LOT of extra work for nothing.

    Quoted message said:

    Carry some but only in addition to a normal puncture repair
    kit (and spare tube).

    I'll agree there. I don't do on-the-road patching unless I get _two_
    flats in the same ride.

    For one flat, I'll just replace the tube.

    When I get home, I'll patch the old one. I accumulate these and do them
    in batches. Working at home, I use a jar of rubber cement rather than
    the tubes of glue that come with patch kits. That way, I can leave the
    glue tube in factory sealed condition, so it doesn't dry out on me and
    leave me in the lurch if I ever need it on the road.

    Patching properly, in a warm, dry, well-lighted workshop results in a
    very reliable job. I buff the tubes with my bench grinder...

    Sheldon "Glueless Patches Are Too Much Work" Brown
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | I don't believe in astrology. But then I'm an Aquarius, |
    | and Aquarians don't believe in astrology. |
    | --James R. F. Quirk |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  2. Sheldon Brown said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes, but I've also had success on other occasions with Giyo gluless
    patches at 130psi. They tend to be more reliable in dry conditions,
    but still best saved for emergencies only, and then replaced
    promptly with a proper patch.

    Why patch tube twice, when you only need to do it once if you do it
    right? That seems like a LOT of extra work for nothing.

    I agree it's extra work in total but it's not for nothing. Glueless
    patches are faster to apply (even faster than changing a tube when it's
    obvious where the puncture is) so one could make the difference between
    catching or missing a train, for example.

    As I said, they're best saved for emergencies only. That's two types of
    emergencies. 1: When you're in a great hurry. 2: When you have no
    alternative means of repair left.

    ~PB

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe they've gotten better, but I've had no luck with glueless patches on
    road bikes. Every one that I ever used eventually pulled loose and leaked.
    Some took a few days to fail, others a few weeks. I don't use them anymore,
    but I do keep some in my seat pack in case of emergencies as a backup to a
    backup to a backup. Spare tube for first flat, then patch kit for the next
    few, glueless patches after that.

    The last time this question came up, some mtb'ers said they work just fine,
    possibly because of the lower tire pressures.

    Riding on with glue only,

    my experience has been a bit better. My glueless patches have lasted a
    whole season, but they have eventually failed. I carry a spare tube and
    then use glueless as my back up. I only use regular glue patches at home.
    I always find the small tube of glue dries up shortly after I open it.
    ---------------
    Alex

  4. "Andrew Morris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    has anyone had any problems with glueless patches unsticking themselves


    when

    Quoted message said:

    they have some pressure put to them?

    My sole experience with glueless patches:

    I was riding with my old friend, "Luvs Hills" Lester, and I got a flat. The
    patch kit I had in my bike bag was certifiably ancient, and the glue had
    separated into component parts, and wouldn't have sealed anything.

    In desperation, I rummaged around the bike bag. I found some glueless
    patches I had gotten as a freebie at a century I had participated in a year
    earlier. I had just thrown them in the bike bag, not thinking much about
    them one way or the other. They saved the day.

    Lester was pretty disdainful of them, and I don't remember him offering the
    use of his patch kit, but the glueless patch held. I wouldn't buy them, and
    I wouldn't go out of my way to carry them compared to the regular patches,
    but I thought they were darn fine under the circumstances.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

    Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

  5. Ron Hardin said:
    gaza said:

    Greetings from the Gold Coast, Australia.
    Forecast for today....
    32C.
    Ocean Temp..24C
    Light NE breeze...1m swell
    Merry Xmas

    Are you guys having next summer or last summer?

    Neither, it's this summer.

    Rob

  6. John Tserkezis said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Like the man says, it's not like ordinary patches are
    hard.

    Quoted message said:

    They are slower to apply.

    The same could be said for glueless patches

    That doesn't make sense.

    Quoted message said:

    you still have to look for the puncture.

    A bad puncture can be found in 5 seconds from the hissing noise and lump
    of glass or whatever sticking through the tyre. For slow punctures, I
    agree it can be quicker to change the tube (although you should still
    check for cause of puncture in tyre).

    Quoted message said:

    If you're worried about speed, carry spare tubes and a gas charge
    pump. The trade-off is weight and cost.

    Again, using a glueless patch is FASTER than changing a tube WHEN it is
    obvious where the puncture is (because the whole tyre does not need to be
    removed, let alone the wheel). To be fair, it's not so easy on rear tyres
    with mudguards/fenders.

    This is such simple logic that I'm surprised more people can't appreciate
    that glueless patches do have a use. Ok, limited use, but it is some
    worthwhile use.

    ~PB

  7. In rec.bicycles.tech Rob <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Neither, it's this summer.

    and a damn nice one, too. i cried getting off the plane in the USA. and
    that was san francisco. i really got bummed when i got to minnesota. socal
    has nothing on your locale.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  8. Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:58:12 -0500, Sheldon Brown

    may have said:

    Patching properly, in a warm, dry, well-lighted workshop results in a
    very reliable job. I buff the tubes with my bench grinder...

    Werehatrack said:

    Okay, I'll admit to using the belt sander once or twice, but usually I
    use a strip of emery cloth, and resort to the more aggressive
    abrasives only when the hole is adjacent to a ridge line on the tube.
    (I find that the cheapie tubes from Mall-Wart have fewer ridges than
    the expensive boutique ones; this makes no sense.) The little
    perforated metal buffers (with the razor-sharp finger-dicing edges)
    are just about worthless for their alleged purpose.

    We do not generally patch now, but when we did (and _lots_
    of them every day) we used a normal "patch buffer" solvent
    with a clean cloth. I still clean tubes that way for
    patching the odd irreplaceable tube.

    When I was young I remember the old guys would smear cement
    over the area, wait a moment and scrape it away with a
    pocket knife. That was also effective in removing any dirt
    and extraneous material from the tube's surface.

    I don't see a reason to use an abrasive in a shop when you
    have a much more thorough and effective method of cleaning
    available. The point is _not_ to texture or smooth the
    tube; the point is to clean the surface detritus out of the
    way so the glue and patch might adhere to the tube itself,
    not the crud layer over it.

    Of course an abrasive _can_ do a good job of cleaning. YMMV
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. (Pete Cresswell) said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    has anyone had any problems with glueless patches unsticking themselves when
    they have some pressure put to them?

    Occasionally, but the biggest problem with them IMHO is that the tub is toast
    once one peels off. The goop it leaves behind can't be removed enough to put
    on a "real" patch and subsequent glueless patches don't seem to hold on it.

    Trash the tube and switch to glueable patches.

    I've chucked "goopy" tubes before for this very reason, but now I've
    mended my ways (and my tubes). Now if/when a glueless patch lifts off
    (which seems to be happening more and more now that the weather here is
    warming up), I just peel the patch off, moisten a rag with Brasso*, and
    rub the area until all the goop is gone. Then I stick on a proper patch
    with proper contact cement.

    * for countries that aren't lucky enough to have Brasso, it's a popular
    metal polish that's 65% liquid hydrocarbon. Probably any solvent that
    doesn't harm rubber would work as well.

    HTH,

    &roo

  10. A Muzi said:

    We do not generally patch now, but when we did (and _lots_
    of them every day) we used a normal "patch buffer" solvent
    with a clean cloth. I still clean tubes that way for
    patching the odd irreplaceable tube.

    When I was young I remember the old guys would smear cement
    over the area, wait a moment and scrape it away with a
    pocket knife. That was also effective in removing any dirt
    and extraneous material from the tube's surface.

    I don't see a reason to use an abrasive in a shop when you
    have a much more thorough and effective method of cleaning
    available. The point is _not_ to texture or smooth the
    tube; the point is to clean the surface detritus out of the
    way so the glue and patch might adhere to the tube itself,
    not the crud layer over it.

    Can solvent alone remove the mold release*?

    * http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.1.html

    ~PB

  11. (Pete Cresswell) said:

    but the biggest problem with them IMHO is that the tub
    is toast once one peels off. The goop it leaves behind can't be
    removed enough to put on a "real" patch and subsequent glueless
    patches don't seem to hold on it.

    Solvent and sanding removes the goop.

    ~PB

  12. "Gary Smiley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree- I carry a tube, a patch kit, and some glueless patches - but - I
    would have to get around six flats on a ride before I had to use the


    glueless

    Quoted message said:

    patches. But I carry them anyway, becaues they are so ridiculously small.


    They

    Quoted message said:

    are in the same category as extra spokes, power links, tape, etc- they are
    light and easy to carry but could potentially help me (or other riders) in a
    big way.

    I also agree. Carrying a glueless patch or 2 is like bringing along a couple
    of postage stamps. Saved me from walking home once, when I found my glue was
    dried up, and that was an *unopened* tube in a good (Rema) patch kit.

  13. In article said:

    Greetings from the Gold Coast, Australia.
    Forecast for today....
    32C.
    Ocean Temp..24C
    Light NE breeze...1m swell
    Merry Xmas

    [censored] :-)

    I'm in Melbourne, Australia
    Raining and headwinds in *both* direction today 🙁

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
    | Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
    | Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  14. Cripes, the price of tubes is so cheap these days, I carry a couple o
    spare tubes and don't bother doing the patch work until I get home. Goo
    quality tyres mean less punctures anyway. Most of the punctures I've ha
    have been tube pinches associated with poor rubber protection on th
    wheel/spoke area and low inflation or failure around the valve base

    Even the expensive tubes are only about AUD10. So leave the messy job
    until you get home - and yes I prefer to use glue patches

    -

  15. I was looking at patches on the Nashbar site, and when you click on "more
    info" for Nashbar's house brand it says:

    "Please give the customer the option to purchase PT-GP2 as a
    substitute at the same price. Please tell the customer that the Park
    patches are glueless and are a better value."

    LOL! Chya right. Don't know if they're just trying to move the glueless
    patches or what, but perhaps someone from Nashbar should look at this
    thread.

    C.Q.C.

  16. On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:49:35 -0000, "Pete Biggs"

    may have said:

    Can solvent alone remove the mold release*?

    * http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.1.html

    In my experience, the right solvent can leave the tube perfectly
    prepped. The wrong solvent can leave it perfectly ruined. I hesitate
    to recommend some of the things I do myself, precisely because there
    are too many ways in which certain techniques can be misapplied or
    misremembered. ("Was that toluene or xylene? Or did I use acetone?
    Oh, hell, just douse it with carb cleaner spray and....aaah, [censored]."😉

    BTW, I, too, have seen the trick of using some glue as a cleaner; it
    *often* works, but I have seen it fail as well. The good part is that
    in failing, it does no damage; as such, I consider it at least safe to
    try if the urgency of performing the patch in one attempt is not
    great.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  17. On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:17:19 -0600, A Muzi <[email hidden]> may

    have said:

    I don't see a reason to use an abrasive in a shop when you
    have a much more thorough and effective method of cleaning
    available. The point is _not_ to texture or smooth the
    tube; the point is to clean the surface detritus out of the
    way so the glue and patch might adhere to the tube itself,
    not the crud layer over it.

    I consider that there is one situation in which an abrasive is
    superior, and that is when the hole is adjacent to a mold ridge on the
    tube. In that instance, I use emery cloth (or whatever comes to hand)
    to reduce the ridge so that the patch will lay flat across the hole.
    Over the years, the majority of patch failures I've had were in
    locations where a ridge prevented the patch from laying entirely flat.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  18. Joel Mayes <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:

    Greetings from the Gold Coast, Australia.
    Forecast for today....
    32C.
    Ocean Temp..24C
    Light NE breeze...1m swell
    Merry Xmas

    [censored] :-)

    I'm in Melbourne, Australia
    Raining and headwinds in *both* direction today 🙁

    Dear Joel,

    Rain . . . that's when water mysteriously
    falls from the skies, isn't it? Four inches
    last year, nearly eleven this year. But most
    of it fell out at the airport where the weather
    bureau records it, not where anyone actually
    lives.

    Carl Fogel
    Pueblo, Colorado

  19. Spider1977 said:

    Cripes, the price of tubes is so cheap these days, I carry a
    couple of spare tubes and don't bother doing the patch work
    until I get home. Good quality tyres mean less punctures
    anyway. Most of the punctures I've had have been tube pinches
    associated with poor rubber protection on the wheel/spoke area
    and low inflation or failure around the valve base.

    Most of my rides are from 2 to 5 hours. I don't carry a spare
    tube because it won't fit into my pockets. I do carry a few Park
    glueless patches, a pair of plastic tyre levers, and a mobile
    phone.

    I suppose I could fit a spare tube under the seat. But then I'd
    have to carry tools to remove my back wheel (SRAM/Sachs Spectro-7
    internal gear hub).

    The 4-or-so glueless patches I've used have been a complete
    long-term success. But those tyres were inflated to 65 PSI only.
    I now run Conti Travel Contacts at 85 PSI, and I understand I
    might have problems with glueless at that pressure.

    It don't know if it's important, but I was told to press the
    glueless patches onto the tube as hard as I could for at least a
    minute. So that's what I've done, and perhaps that makes a
    difference.

    The mobile phone is to summon a lift for more serious problems if
    I'm more than a couple of hours' walk from home.

    Quoted message said:

    Even the expensive tubes are only about AUD10. So leave the
    messy jobs until you get home - and yes I prefer to use glue
    patches.

    John

  20. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Drive to work tomorrow.


    That'll mean that my wife won't have a car available during the day
    for errands, shopping etc. Then I'll have to do all that stuff when I
    get home. Not an option at all 🙂

    Cold weather, like 0F/-18C is no big deal. The worst temperature is
    around 32F/0C because then we get lots of slush, wet snow, ice,
    freezing rain and other stuff that makes riding hard. At 0F my only
    problems are a freezing rear brake (going hydraulic on next bike)
    which is no big deal as I still have the front working. The cold
    itself is no problem as long as I have a sufficient supply of
    cold-weather clothes.
    I'd still ride my bike if it was -40F (which is extremely rare here in
    the southeast of Norway, -15F is the coldest I can remember).

    Yes, judging from the ".no" you've got on the end of your email addr,
    I assume that you can handle the cold. The Gods can, too...

    The longer a duration without flats you talk about on r.b.t, the
    higher the chances of that nasty goathead deflowering your wheel's
    butyl undergarments. REPENT! Sacrifice a DBS to Tyr, god of bicycle
    mechanics, and tell your ladyfolk to call in sick.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.