Road Cycling · Public discussion

Getting back to my old pace after "injury"

Started by chris c · · Last activity · 4 posts · 392 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 February 2007
Last activity
2 February 2007
Original author
chris c
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
392
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was doing 40+ miles 5 days a week before my "injury". I stopped riding for
    about 3 months. Now, I have lost a lot of strength and ability. I know it
    all comes back , but I worked really hard to get to where I was. I was very
    commited to riding ,but I also lived 20 + miles from work. That is why I
    could do that many miles. It was hard to find time. I would make myself do
    it and use the bike as transportation at the same time.Now I moved (after
    getting seperated) and live only 5 miles from work and my schedule has
    changed . I want to get back to where I was physically. I started back on
    the trainer a few weeeks ago and felt like I was starting all over again.
    The past few days though, I feel it coming back. I started doing 10 miles/
    0-35 minutes on the trainer 5 days a week. I will soon raise it to 15 miles
    , then back to 20 which took me just over an hour. I am going at about 90
    rpm cadence. I wanted to get into racing last year , but my injury sent me
    backwards. I was told to do 85-90 rpms and 75-80 for climbing. I have never
    rode in a pack before. I ride a trek madone that I got for a SCREAMING deal
    off Ebay. and use a Giant OCR on the trainer. My injury is near the groin
    area. It is half way between my belly button and testicles on my left side.
    It feels like a bruise if you touch it and put slight pressure on it. It
    hurt me so bad a couple months ago, that I couldn't work and had to stay in
    bed. I was on vicodin. I had MRIs , Xrays, etc., saw 5 different doctors and
    not one knows for sure what it is. I thought it was a seat adjustment
    problem. At first , my primary told me it was tissue damage, then later he
    told me it is stress related because of everything going on in my life. It
    is still there today , but not to where I cant do cycling. Sometimes it gets
    to where I'll pop 4 or 5 ibuprofen and it goes away. Anyone had anything
    like this before? How should I go about getting back into a rythm? thanks

  2. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:46:38 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, "chris

    c said:

    I started back on
    the trainer a few weeeks ago and felt like I was starting all over again.

    and i can tell you, the older it gets, the harder it is to work
    your way back from thighs of lead.

    the best advice i had when i was recovering from my knee surgery
    was to ride every other day when i'm not in good shape, because
    recovery takes almost 2 days when i'm not fit.

    as you build your way back, the rides can get longer and more
    frequent.

  3. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:46:38 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, "chris

    c said:

    Anyone had anything
    like this before?

    Yes. It was a hernia.

    Just because my brother had a hernia that felt like that,
    however, doesn't meant that's what you have. It could be a tumor
    or something. Have you had any prostate cancer symptoms
    (dribbling, having to go all the time, trouble going, etc)?

    TIME TO CHANGE DOCS if your current one can't figure it out, or
    get a referral to a specialist. A cat scan or MRI should be able
    to see what's going on there.

  4. On Feb 1, 12:22 am, [email hidden] (Dennis P. Harris)

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:46:38 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, "chris

    c said:

    Anyone had anything
    like this before?

    Yes. It was a hernia.

    Just because my brother had a hernia that felt like that,
    however, doesn't meant that's what you have. It could be a tumor
    or something. Have you had any prostate cancer symptoms
    (dribbling, having to go all the time, trouble going, etc)?

    TIME TO CHANGE DOCS if your current one can't figure it out, or
    get a referral to a specialist. A cat scan or MRI should be able
    to see what's going on there.

    That's the problem. Like I said I did see several doctors. One was a
    specialist in sports medicine. He didn't help either. I'm thinking
    maybe IT IS stress.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.