rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Generous Gift of a Unicycle

Started by Tmornstar · · Last activity · 3 posts · 262 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
5 May 2005
Last activity
5 May 2005
Original author
Tmornstar
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
262
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Earlier this week, I received a heartfelt e-note from someone who came
    across the Memphis Unicycle Club's web site. As you will read, this
    person has donated her beloved unicycle to our club to find it a new
    home with a deserving child. One of the main point of our club is to do
    youth development wok. Visit the MUC web site to read our
    Mission/Vision Statement at :

    www.memphisunicycle club.com

    "Greetings, fellow unicycler!"

    "This unicycle is in desperate need of a good owner who will ride it. I
    want to pass it on rather than retire it because was an important part
    of my youth and it has a bit of a story to it. I came from a poor family
    and I wanted to ride when I was about 6 years old. My folks had just
    spent their money on a lovely purple Schwinn bike for me and were not
    about to invest more money on a whim of mine. My dad took out his
    cutting torch and re- arranged my tricycle into a unicycle, discarding
    the back two wheels and putting a 8 inch length of 2x4 on a pipe and
    pipe flange where the handlebars go. He said, ‘If you can ride that
    thing, I'll get you your unicycle.’ After a dare like that, the only
    thing I could do was succeed! Two weeks and one very sore bottom later,
    I was trucking around on the driveway on that hard rubber wheel."

    "My dad lived up to his word and bought me a brand new Schwinn uni (This
    was in 1973 near Detroit). It was stolen within a week. Later that
    summer, while riding that silly purple bike around, I spied a beat up
    old unicycle in some one's garage. It wasn't the same one that had been
    stolen, but similar. There was a grubby little girl playing in the front
    yard, and I happily traded my new two-wheeler for the unicycle. My folks
    weren't too upset, and I was thrilled. This is the unicycle I will send
    to you."

    "Happy riding!"

    As I write this the above generous gift is winging its way to Memphis to
    find a renewed life here creating smiles and expanding our uni- family.
    The magnanimous generosity of Blake is staggering. She, too, paid for
    the shipping!

    There are some wonderful folks out there! One of the main points of our
    MUC is to do youth development work. Visit the MUC web site to read our
    Mission/Vision Statement at :

    www.memphisunicycle club.com

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email hidden] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40128

  2. Your stories are always so cool. It might have something to do with
    you.

    Heard anything about LeFay after his crash? I haven't been able to get
    in touch with him.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "My world view has come crashing down like a drunk clown on a giraffe,
    riding through a cactus patch..." -evil-nick on "Entry of the
    Gladiators"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40128

  3. Tommy,

    That's great! Way to go. It's really something to be recognized for
    your work to help others. Congrats.

    Bruce

    --
    yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

    Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
    from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40128

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.