Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

front derailleur for a 46/36 or 48/36 double?

Started by Dan Daniel · · Last activity · 5 posts · 451 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
Dan Daniel
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
451
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When you set up a double with small chainrings, is it better to use a
    typical road double front derailleur, or an MTB triple? I'm looking at
    combos like 48/36, 48/38, or 46/36. These all are 'in spec' for an XT
    751 front derailleur (48 teeth max). But maybe a bit small for a road
    double, like the older 105 I have on now with a 48/39 and working
    fine?

    This is with bar end shifters, so indexing is not an issue.

    Thanks.

  2. Dan Daniel said:

    When you set up a double with small chainrings, is it better to use a
    typical road double front derailleur, or an MTB triple? I'm looking at
    combos like 48/36, 48/38, or 46/36. These all are 'in spec' for an XT
    751 front derailleur (48 teeth max). But maybe a bit small for a road
    double, like the older 105 I have on now with a 48/39 and working
    fine?

    I have no trouble with a 46/30 and a road derailleur.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | ...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or
    _`\(,_ | property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person
    (_)/ (_) | within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. --
    Fourteenth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution.

  3. One of my bikes is set up with 48/38 (Salsa rings on Ultegra crank, 105 front
    double derailleur). Works perfectly.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
    To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  4. "Dan Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When you set up a double with small chainrings, is it better to use a
    typical road double front derailleur, or an MTB triple? I'm looking at
    combos like 48/36, 48/38, or 46/36. These all are 'in spec' for an XT
    751 front derailleur (48 teeth max). But maybe a bit small for a road
    double, like the older 105 I have on now with a 48/39 and working
    fine?

    This is with bar end shifters, so indexing is not an issue.

    Thanks.

    I have a 50/36 with the chain derailed by an old 105 front mech operated by
    even older 105 friction downtube shifter, moved by an even older rider !
    This setup was in place before STi came along and IMHO the operational
    parameters are most significant when STi shifting is used. With friction
    shifters one has plenty of fine trimming available and one can usually
    overshift to force the jump - less so with STi so matching of components is
    more important.

  5. I think most road doubles are designed with a curvature for a big ring
    at least 50T. That said, if you can get the derailer low enough without
    it hitting the chainstay, it will work with smaller rings. I use a road
    double to shift a 44x29 combo on my touring bike.

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.