Fluid trainer Calibration

The Evil Twin

Dec 14, 2006
I was wondering if anyone has ever used a power meter to calibrate their trainer.
Perhaps a graph so that at a given gear ratio and cadence, we would know the wattage output.
I have a Kurt Kinetic -does Kurt give out this info??

The Evil Twin said:
Duh, i should have seen this the first time:

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/powercurve.php

however, that's just speed as the measure.
Speed is the only measure you need. Gear ratio doesn't matter.
FWIW, the KK "power computer" is just a speedo that has an algorithm built in to convert speed on their trainer to watts.

Make sure the trainer is warmed up sufficiently and you should be good to go!
I did a whole winter's worth of training using speed only and had no clue what wattage i was doing until the spring when i bought my first PM.
The repeatability of using speed alone allowed me to see the progress i was making.

Good luck!

I guess I could just get a cheap computer and mount the sensor on the back wheel to measure speed.

Pureshot78 said:
Speed is the only measure you need. Gear ratio doesn't matter.
I agree. And, speed alone is sufficient for riding at the appropriate intensity for whatever adaptation one is targeting.

I would caution not to read too much precision into the speed/power tables (for anybody's trainer). The tire and tire pressure alone can affect this relationship. But, as to targeting specific adaptations, the absolute watts are irrelevant.

The Evil Twin said:
Duh, i should have seen this the first time:

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/powercurve.php

however, that's just speed as the measure.
Kinetic Cyclone:
P = (6.481090) * S + (0.020106) * S3

Kinetic Road Machine:
P = (5.244820) * S + (0.01968) * S3

For example, to calculate how much power is produced at a speed of 16.1mph while riding the Kinetic Road Machine, plug 16.1 in for “S.”

P = (5.244820) * (16.1) + (0.01968) * (16.1)3
P = (5.244820) * (16.1) + (0.01968) * (16.1) * (16.1) * (16.1)
P = 84.4416 + 79.9935
Power = 164 watts

That's how Kinetic maps speed to power.
I use CycleOps Fluid 2. Is there any mapping table or arithmetic to map the speed on CycleOps to power? I'm planing to connect the speed sensor to a laptop and design a software to display and analyze the data. I can share it if I make it.