General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Fish you swear by

Started by Drongo · · Last activity · 106 posts · 1,557 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 March 2006
Last activity
9 April 2006
Original author
Drongo
Posts
106
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 106
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sorry to piggyback Wayne.

    The family was invited to a private fishing island in Canada when I was
    nine.

    We took canoes to an island. Other canoes with food and other canoes with
    shotgun ammo.

    Picture a donut floating in water. The lakes were inside the island. We
    fished for grey trout. After lunch we'd skeet shoot 12 guage shotguns at
    clay pigeons (?) PULL!

    The whole place ran on generator. When ten pm rolled around, the lights
    dimmed out and we went to bed.

    One dinner we were served from the women cooking the meal asked us to
    follow them in prayer which we did.

    It was then explained to us that my Pop and his fishing buddy had both
    caught pregnant trout. A bad omen. It was a somber quiet meal.

    I rememver it like yesterday. almost 40 years ago.

    I was forever afraid of eathing fish until some time passed.

    Sorry for the sorry story.

    Andy

  2. On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:55:07a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry to piggyback Wayne.

    The family was invited to a private fishing island in Canada when I was
    nine.

    We took canoes to an island. Other canoes with food and other canoes with
    shotgun ammo.

    Picture a donut floating in water. The lakes were inside the island. We
    fished for grey trout. After lunch we'd skeet shoot 12 guage shotguns at
    clay pigeons (?) PULL!

    The whole place ran on generator. When ten pm rolled around, the lights
    dimmed out and we went to bed.

    One dinner we were served from the women cooking the meal asked us to
    follow them in prayer which we did.

    It was then explained to us that my Pop and his fishing buddy had both
    caught pregnant trout. A bad omen. It was a somber quiet meal.

    I rememver it like yesterday. almost 40 years ago.

    I was forever afraid of eathing fish until some time passed.

    Sorry for the sorry story.

    Aw, that's sad. :-( But a nice story.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com said:

    I tried tilapia at a restaurant and didn't like it. I prefer catfish,
    perch, and pickerel.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Perch... <sigh>

    NOW you are talking! :-)

    A day at the lake spent catching bluegill/fresh lake perch.

    Bring home, scale and gut.

    Fry with herbs and spices in butter and olive oil.......

    <sigh>

    Damn that brings back memories!!!
    Thanks! ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. Andy said:

    It was then explained to us that my Pop and his fishing buddy had both
    caught pregnant trout. A bad omen. It was a somber quiet meal.

    That reminds me: Isn't it getting to be that shad roe time of year?

    Bob

  5. SD wrote about catfish:

    Quoted message said:

    It's a bland non-descript fish not worth cooking - right up there with
    tilapia for taste.

    The fact that it's a bland nondescript fish is what makes cooking MANDATORY.
    You need to ADD flavor to the fish because it doesn't have much flavor of
    its own. Think of it as a blank canvas. Here are some ideas for adding
    flavor:

    * Cover it with a spice rub of some kind and then grill it. Masala/curry
    powder works here, but it's certainly not the ONLY option.

    * Stir-fry it with onions, and black pepper, then add a slurry of cornstarch
    and tangerine juice.

    * Make fish tacos with any of a hundred fish-friendly salsas.

    * Simply pan-fry it in butter or bacon grease and serve it alongside fried
    potatoes and eggs for breakfast.

    Bob

  6. Andy said:


    It was then explained to us that my Pop and his fishing buddy had both
    caught pregnant trout. A bad omen. It was a somber quiet meal.

    I rememver it like yesterday. almost 40 years ago.

    I was forever afraid of eathing fish until some time passed.


    This has made me remember the first time I caught a salmon full of
    eggs. I was about 11, I think. Some adult on the boat explained to
    me how they were treated to become a delicacy called red caviar. Later
    in the day when we went in to shore another adult showed me how to use
    the salmon eggs to catch Dolly Varden (a char, like a trout). The
    topic was treated quite matter of factly, no prayer or feeling sorry
    involved. We planned to eat what we caught anyway, it wasn't a catch
    and release day.

    The more I think about it, the less I understand why your group thought
    there was something unusual or sad about catching those trout. -aem

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:

    SD wrote about catfish:

    Quoted message said:

    It's a bland non-descript fish not worth cooking - right up there with
    tilapia for taste.

    The fact that it's a bland nondescript fish is what makes cooking MANDATORY.
    You need to ADD flavor to the fish because it doesn't have much flavor of
    its own. Think of it as a blank canvas. Here are some ideas for adding
    flavor:

    * Cover it with a spice rub of some kind and then grill it. Masala/curry
    powder works here, but it's certainly not the ONLY option.

    * Stir-fry it with onions, and black pepper, then add a slurry of cornstarch
    and tangerine juice.

    * Make fish tacos with any of a hundred fish-friendly salsas.

    * Simply pan-fry it in butter or bacon grease and serve it alongside fried
    potatoes and eggs for breakfast.

    Bob

    Damn you...
    Now I'm going to have to try making fish cakes with catfish and eggs. ;-)

    It's not something I've ever tried.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    aem said:
    Andy said:


    It was then explained to us that my Pop and his fishing buddy had both
    caught pregnant trout. A bad omen. It was a somber quiet meal.

    Quoted message said:

    This has made me remember the first time I caught a salmon full of
    eggs. I was about 11, I think. Some adult on the boat explained to
    me how they were treated to become a delicacy called red caviar. Later
    in the day when we went in to shore another adult showed me how to use
    the salmon eggs to catch Dolly Varden (a char, like a trout). The
    topic was treated quite matter of factly, no prayer or feeling sorry
    involved. We planned to eat what we caught anyway, it wasn't a catch
    and release day.

    The more I think about it, the less I understand why your group thought
    there was something unusual or sad about catching those trout. -aem

    A lot of people think that fish eggs are quite the delicacy.

    The herring industry is big around here. They don't actually eat them,
    they just sell the roe to Japan for big bucks.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  9. Bob Terwilliger said:

    SD wrote about catfish:

    Quoted message said:

    It's a bland non-descript fish not worth cooking - right up there with
    tilapia for taste.

    The fact that it's a bland nondescript fish is what makes cooking MANDATORY.
    You need to ADD flavor to the fish because it doesn't have much flavor of
    its own. Think of it as a blank canvas. Here are some ideas for adding
    flavor:

    I like fish that has it's own unique flavor - not a fish that is a
    conveyance for a slew of other sauces, spices, or breading. That is the
    reason I DON'T LIKE tilapia. When tilapia is literally the ONLY fish
    one can buy in the area, it becomes very boring very fast. There is
    nothing that would ever get me to eat it again. I won't make a four
    hour roundtrip bustrip into San Pedro Sula to buy Chilean farm raised
    salmon - the only other fish that may be available. Transporation costs
    to buy the fish would be $25 - add that to the $20 for the fish. Nope,
    not going to happen. I haven't found farm raised salmon yet that us
    worth spending $45 for a piece of fish. I forgo eating fish except when
    I go to the north coast or the islands (about once a year). I can get
    fish there, not a conveyance for sauces.

    SD

  10. Om replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    * Simply pan-fry it in butter or bacon grease and serve it alongside
    fried
    potatoes and eggs for breakfast.

    Damn you...
    Now I'm going to have to try making fish cakes with catfish and eggs. ;-)

    It's not something I've ever tried.

    Bacon can be added without diminishing the appeal. (That's *so* often
    true!)

    Bob

  11. SD said:

    I like fish that has it's own unique flavor - not a fish that is a
    conveyance for a slew of other sauces, spices, or breading. That is the
    reason I DON'T LIKE tilapia.

    How do you feel about tofu or boneless and skinless chicken breasts? They're
    also merely conveyances for "real" flavor.

    Bob

  12. Bob Terwilliger said:
    SD said:

    I like fish that has it's own unique flavor - not a fish that is a
    conveyance for a slew of other sauces, spices, or breading. That is the
    reason I DON'T LIKE tilapia.

    How do you feel about tofu or boneless and skinless chicken breasts? They're
    also merely conveyances for "real" flavor.

    Bob

    I don't eat either one of those for the same reason. Tofu has the
    additional drawback of being extremely expensive since it is a luxury
    import food where I live. The most flavorful meat here is grass fed
    beef. We eat a lot of beans, rice, plantains, and beef where I am
    -which is not in the US.

    SD

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    SD said:

    I like fish that has it's own unique flavor - not a fish that is a
    conveyance for a slew of other sauces, spices, or breading. That is the
    reason I DON'T LIKE tilapia.

    How do you feel about tofu or boneless and skinless chicken breasts? They're
    also merely conveyances for "real" flavor.

    Since I like them for that reason, I guess I should try tilapia. My
    favorite fish right now is filet of sole, partly because it doesn't have
    a strong flavor.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  14. Dan Abel said:

    Since I like them for that reason, I guess I should try tilapia. My
    favorite fish right now is filet of sole, partly because it doesn't have
    a strong flavor.

    I've had tilapia a few times. It's good. Nothing wrong with it at all.

  15. SD said:

    I don't eat either one of those for the same reason. Tofu has the
    additional drawback of being extremely expensive since it is a luxury
    import food where I live.

    Are you serious? I suppose that anything can be labelled as a luxury import if you
    charge a lot for it. Around here tofu is cheap.

  16. Dave Smith said:
    SD said:

    I don't eat either one of those for the same reason. Tofu has the
    additional drawback of being extremely expensive since it is a luxury
    import food where I live.

    Are you serious? I suppose that anything can be labelled as a luxury import if you
    charge a lot for it. Around here tofu is cheap.

    I live in Honduras remember? Not the US. All the tofu is imported.

    SD

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:

    Om replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    * Simply pan-fry it in butter or bacon grease and serve it alongside
    fried
    potatoes and eggs for breakfast.

    Damn you...
    Now I'm going to have to try making fish cakes with catfish and eggs. ;-)

    It's not something I've ever tried.

    Bacon can be added without diminishing the appeal. (That's *so* often
    true!)

    Bob

    I've got bacon thawing in the 'frige.....
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    SD said:

    I like fish that has it's own unique flavor - not a fish that is a
    conveyance for a slew of other sauces, spices, or breading. That is the
    reason I DON'T LIKE tilapia.

    How do you feel about tofu or boneless and skinless chicken breasts? They're
    also merely conveyances for "real" flavor.

    Since I like them for that reason, I guess I should try tilapia. My
    favorite fish right now is filet of sole, partly because it doesn't have
    a strong flavor.

    Whiting is cheaper, and has about as much flavor as tofu. ;-)
    On the upside, it has a good texture and it's very inexpensive.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson


  19. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got bacon thawing in the 'frige.....
    --
    Peace, Om.

    The last time I bought bacon, I tried what Cooks Illustrated suggested. I
    like this idea.

    I separated each slice and rolled about 2 or 3 slices in a loose roll and
    put them in smaller baggies, and then ultimately in one large ziplock. Now
    when I want a couple of slices, I take out of freezer and I have a slice or
    two "GOOD TO GO" in no time.
    Dee Dee

  20. The problem with talking about fish is that it can be so local. I live on a
    northern lake where Walleye is plentiful, and even then it is $10/pound in a
    store here, and who knows how much in other places or even if in fact they
    ever heard of it. I wouldn't know a Tilapia if I met one in a bar and it
    offered to buy me a drink. (At closing time I probably even approached a
    Tilapia or two.)

    Down South everything is a trout: Speckled Trout are Weakfish, Green Trout
    are Bass, White Trout are some other thing --we used to make up names like
    Flat Trout for Flounders.

    Best thing to do is go where fisherman dock, flirt a little, and they will
    give you at least part of the daily catch (flirting depends on how hungry
    you are ;-) It's OK to get fresh -- and the fish is good that way too.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:

    SD wrote:

    > I like fish that has it's own unique flavor - not a fish that is a
    > conveyance for a slew of other sauces, spices, or breading. That is


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > reason I DON'T LIKE tilapia.

    How do you feel about tofu or boneless and skinless chicken breasts?


    They're

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    also merely conveyances for "real" flavor.

    Since I like them for that reason, I guess I should try tilapia. My
    favorite fish right now is filet of sole, partly because it doesn't have
    a strong flavor.

    Whiting is cheaper, and has about as much flavor as tofu. ;-)
    On the upside, it has a good texture and it's very inexpensive.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack


    Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.