Bike buying advice · Public discussion

First road bike Trek 1500 or 5200

Started by wishever · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,505 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
9 October 2006
Last activity
9 October 2006
Original author
wishever
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,505
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi guys,

    I have recently got interested in triathlons but has never taken part in one. I am aiming for the country's biggest triathlon event next year which is 8 months to go. However, i do not have a bike so i decided that i should get one. However, i do not know what bike to buy. I have been recommended by the LBS to buy the Trek 1500
    (S$ 2800) cos of its value for money. But the thing to me is that it is Aluminium and not carbon and I do feel that carbon looks nicer at all angles. I am considering Trek 5200 which has all the same components except for its carbon frame and it cost just 700 dollars more which is about S$3.5k. On top of that, what are the accessories that i should buy, a cycling pants ? Any advice??

    Any advice, being a beginner should i just get a simple one now and buy a better one a few years down the road if i do continue with my interest or just get something that can last me at least 5 years, assuming that I do not crash into any lamppost.

    Please give me your sincere advice. I really would appreciate it.

    Kent

  2. If you can buy an expensive bike, then go crazy, but if you're on a budget, buy the 1500. I bought one a few months ago and love it. No problems with the bike yet.

  3. wishever said:

    Hi guys,

    I have recently got interested in triathlons but has never taken part in one. I am aiming for the country's biggest triathlon event next year which is 8 months to go. However, i do not have a bike so i decided that i should get one. However, i do not know what bike to buy. I have been recommended by the LBS to buy the Trek 1500
    (S$ 2800) cos of its value for money. But the thing to me is that it is Aluminium and not carbon and I do feel that carbon looks nicer at all angles. I am considering Trek 5200 which has all the same components except for its carbon frame and it cost just 700 dollars more which is about S$3.5k. On top of that, what are the accessories that i should buy, a cycling pants ? Any advice??

    Any advice, being a beginner should i just get a simple one now and buy a better one a few years down the road if i do continue with my interest or just get something that can last me at least 5 years, assuming that I do not crash into any lamppost.

    Please give me your sincere advice. I really would appreciate it.

    Kent

    If you're going to be a trialthlete and are aiming for your country's "biggest triathlon" then you need a TT bike, not a road bike.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.