Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Finally! First ride of the year.

Started by jpr95 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 781 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
21 March 2011
Last activity
27 March 2011
Original author
jpr95
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
781
Views / 30 days
9
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was finally able to get out and ride for the first time this year. Other than 2 sessions on the trainer in January, I've done zippo since a 2-day, 120-mile ride the first weekend in October (Bucket Ride, a benefit for Habitat for Humanity--we rode from IU to Purdue).

    I only rode about 17.5 miles, but after about 10 miles it started to feel pretty good, though the hills didn't ever feel good. 😉 There is definitely some more rust and cobwebs to get out of the lungs and legs, but I'm also much better off today than I was at this time last year.

    My new bike is also supposed to ship today...fingers crossed... The new ride (Habanero Ti Touring) should be sub-20 lbs, contrasted with my 35+ lb lugged steel Schwinn from 1988. I'm guessing it should make the hills a little easier due to the drop in weight, and the better groupset (triple Ultegra vs. early Shimano SIS) might improve power transfer efficiency all around. Going from 27" x 1-1/4 tires to 700Cx25 should help, too, plus a few more gears (30 vs. 12) should help fill in a few cadence holes. Heck, it's probably like going from a Yugo to a Corvette.

    Jason

  2. I bet that was fun!

    It'll be nice to be able to get out and ride again, but it's going to be a few more weeks here till the weather cooperates. Supposed to get more snow Wednesday.....

    I hope your new bike gets there soon. Are you going to keep your old bike for bad weather riding?

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by jpr95 [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    I was finally able to get out and ride for the first time this year. Other than 2 sessions on the trainer in January, I've done zippo since a 2-day, 120-mile ride the first weekend in October (Bucket Ride, a benefit for Habitat for Humanity--we rode from IU to Purdue).

    I only rode about 17.5 miles, but after about 10 miles it started to feel pretty good, though the hills didn't ever feel good. 😉 There is definitely some more rust and cobwebs to get out of the lungs and legs, but I'm also much better off today than I was at this time last year.

    My new bike is also supposed to ship today...fingers crossed... The new ride (Habanero Ti Touring) should be sub-20 lbs, contrasted with my 35+ lb lugged steel Schwinn from 1988. I'm guessing it should make the hills a little easier due to the drop in weight, and the better groupset (triple Ultegra vs. early Shimano SIS) might improve power transfer efficiency all around. Going from 27" x 1-1/4 tires to 700Cx25 should help, too, plus a few more gears (30 vs. 12) should help fill in a few cadence holes. Heck, it's probably like going from a Yugo to a Corvette.

    Jason

    The new bike sounds like it'll be a sweet ride but it'll probably be more like going from a Yugo to an Audi A6 with leather and all the bells a whistles 😉 You'd need something like a Cannondale Hi-Mod or a Cervelo S3 and a set of HED Stinger 6's for the corvette :P

  4. I went from an '85 lugged trek to a '03 lemond. The difference was unbelievable. Hills became easier and my average speed greatly increased.

  5. Congrats on the first ride. I did my first ride of the season last week, but since then it has dropped from 70 back down to 30 so I am off for another couple of weeks.... 🙁

    Late last year I switched from my 1986 Bridgestone 450 (also with SIS) to a 2007 Scott CR-1 (also with Ultegra - 6600 I think). Very nice and the shifters and breaks were the biggest improvement. Due to different gearing, hills were a little easier, but not as much as I though they would be... (Bridgestone was 39x28, Scott is 39x25). I expected a bit jump in average speed also, but really there was not much change. (although I do get up to that average speed quicker now).

    Brifters are awesome... You will love shifting now.

    Anyway, enjoy the new ride...

    Michael

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.