General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Fillings Race? Cavity Verification? Or Sudden Cause? Replies.

Started by - · · Last activity · 1 post · 274 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 November 2003
Last activity
5 November 2003
Original author
-
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
274
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For whatever reason newsgroups are erratically unreliable for me, so I can't
    maintain threading and I've pasted your replies:

    Anth ([email hidden]):

    Quoted message said:

    a friend of mine (who has never had a
    filling in his life and regularly sees a dentist every 6th months)
    recently was told by his dentist that he has a cavity that needed filled.
    This struck me as being odd as friend had always looked after his teeth -
    he's one of those 30 year old 'regimental types.'
    So assuming that his dentist was correct, it took 6th months for his


    cavity

    Quoted message said:

    to manifest itself.
    The dentist said that he would treat it now before it started causing
    problems.

    This sounds reasonable if the cavity is still small after 6 months. And
    reasonable to fill it while small. My cavities obviously are being "caught"
    while small. I wonder how a patient is supposed to see these.

    Joel M. Eichen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How likely is it to form 3 (small) cavities during about 2 or 2.5 years


    at

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    middle age, when I have never had any since preteen? (and that preteen
    cavity was only one small cavity).

    New dentist or old dentist?

    About 3 years
    Total of 3 cavities found since early 2001. (Or maybe late 2000.)

    Stephen Mancuso, D.D.S.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How likely is it to form 3


    Not as likelly as with a steady history of problems, but indeed probable.
    Especially if there has been a change in health status, habits, or
    life-style.

    Not much change in habits other than much better at removing tartar
    (preventing much calculus). Normally my teeth rapidly cover with tartar,
    calculus. Over decades. my gums have become very receded near salivary
    glands (lower front). I think the gum in other areas aren't much receded.

    My diet hasn't changed too much during the last 15 plus years. Far lower
    quantity of starchy things, because I'm far less physically active. And due
    to laziness or whatever, most recently I'm eating less veggies. I've always
    eaten some sweet things, often fruit. But even with processed sweet stuff, I
    think I eat less than the average American does. I drink only a few soft
    drinks per year so my teeth aren't soaking in sugar solution all day (the
    apple juice in the baby bottle problem). Otoh, milk naturally contains
    sugar. 🙂

    I've never drunk alcohol, coffee. Never smoked. I've never had good regular
    sleep. So not good, but not a change.

    The biggest and most abrupt difference in last 4 or 5 years is that I've
    gradually become better at keeping calculus down. I've reduced much of the
    calculus buildup between cleanings. Better brushing, ribbon floss that
    doesn't break and snag, better floss holder, and more frequent cleaning at
    dental offices.

    I also have a "dull" retail version of the metal "picks" that the hygienists
    use. Sliding it between the teeth easily knocks off flakes. But the flakes
    aren't very big these days. And I can't do this until a few months after a
    cleaning. Previously, the calculus built up within weeks.

    I can't prevent a thin line of calculus at the base of each tooth. Lightly
    dragging the pick along the edge of the gum is the best way to get at that
    narrow deposit. I've noticed this thin region still feels rough after the
    hygienists have performed final polishing of the teeth. So I wonder if all
    of this is reducing gum recession.

    Does calculus cause receding gums?

    Does the calculus protect the enamel from cavities?

    Does toothpaste and polishing destroy enamel?

    Do visits to dental offices encourage cavity finding? 🙁 🙁
    I can't see my own teeth. And I really can't see anything in x-rays, but I
    don't get a chance to really look at them.

    The first of the recent 3 cavities was on the inner surface of a tooth, but
    perhaps the opening was just a tiny pinhole, too small for my tongue to
    feel??

    I'm going to try for an "advisory" appointment at the dental dept of a
    University. But I don't think they'll be able to detect what's happened in
    the recently filled cavities.

    --------
    Is it possible to "train" the average patient to verify the existence of
    cavities among relatives, friends, etc.?

    Thanks for the responses.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.