Fighting the flab Newbee to cycling

Gearoid

Feb 11, 2005
Hi all, im 33 and started cycling a short time back. It was a bit hit and miss. But now im cycling 150k week, break down is 15k in2 work downhill most of the way and of course 15k uphill going home. Now over the last number ov weeks i have been getting better and better. But what i would like to know is, do i need to be doing more to lose weight.Now I have changed what i eat how much i eat and when. seems to be working. But is there more i could be doing. I would cycle all day if i could but i work 12 hour days so thats not an option.I dont eat **** at all these days and only drink water and not cola and the like. Im sure this has been asked so many times in the past. But you oldtimers need to infor us F.N.G
(Fecken New Guys) lol. cycle a mtn bike not a road bike.

Thanks

You can lose a significant amount of weight by cycling, but I think you may need to increase the amount of time you spend on the bike each week if possible. If you can't increase your time on the bike, you will probably need to look more carefully at your diet. I used to race bikes and rode about 350-400 miles/wk from April to October and 200 miles/wk in the off-season. My weight was 165 when I was racing and my body fat % was probably close to 10%. After a long time off the bike (due to life), I recently resumed training for racing. When I resumed training, I weighed 212 and my body fat % was about 25%. I have now ridden 14 hours a week for 3 months and my weight is 180 and body fat % is 19%. For the first 2 months, I rode at a steady 75% of max HR. After 2 months, I began doing intervals 2x/wk. I've recently increased my time on the bike to about 20 hrs/wk and I expect my weight will level off at about 170-175 and 12%-15% body fat. I have made no change in my diet, so I know my weight loss is due to cycling. I think my body is just settling into its natural state and adapting to the greater intensity of my exercise program.

My recommendations: get a HR monitor (it doesn't even need to be bike mounted; you can wear it as a wristwatch) and ride at about 75% of your max HR (estimate at 220 - age). You may find it easier to get your HR up by increasing your cadence rather than pushing harder on the pedals. Spin the entire time, even on the downhill parts of your ride. Try to find 14 hrs/wk that you can ride, even if some of the time is on a stationery bike or trainer. It doesn't make much difference -- 75% of max HR is 75% of max HR. If you can't ride for 14 hrs/wk, watch your diet -- lots of threads on what to eat.

Your current riding will give you some modest weight loss over time if your diet is sensible as you say. Don't expect more than about a pound or so per week, but it should be good, healthy fat loss and increased fitness if you can keep it up. If you have time to ride more, then go for it!

My best weight loss rides this year averaged 79% MHR. You can still lose weight if you ride up to 87% MHR. 83% Max Heart Rate is good.

I am about one year into similar program, have dropped from 215 lbs to 198, shooting for 175 or so. I have dropped my resting heart rate from about 75 to low 60s. Cholesterol is way down, and my pre-hypertensive blood pressure is now well into the healthy zone. More dramatic than the weight loss has been the change in my body composition. I still have a bit of a gut and chub on the legs, but I have built a lot of muscle mass, and I am told I look completely different, way more than the 17 lost pounds can account for.

I have watched what I eat, but not like I could. I still go to taco bell, but I only eat the low-fat items. I try to control my carbohydrate intake, but more importantly I keep my big carb intake to soon before or after a big ride, to keep the carbs working for glycogen recovery and not for cellulite development.

The single best thing I started to do is to keep sliced carrots in a tupperware container at home and at work. When I want to snack, I grab the carrots, they are actually pretty satisfying, and WAY better than even low-fat salty snacks.

At time I am frustrated that I am not taking weight off more quickly, but I know I will get there, and if I keep my activity level up, I should be able to maintain my new fitness/weight without too much trouble.

Good luck, man. It is hard but ooooh, so worth it.:)

I'm 45 and 180 cm tall and I started cycling to work regulary (40 km) round trip about 3 years ago. From riding to work 1-2 days per week to now riding to work continually, I noted the following.

During the first 6 months I didn't loose much weight (only 1-2 kg) but my waistline diminished significantly whick was perfectly OK. I was just enjoying the riding and not hung up about my size and weight.

For the last eighteen months, I have been riding to work every day, and I have lost about 8 kg in total and my weight is 67 kg. I am now probably too thin as all my veins on my arm stick out like ropes. I am vegetarian which helps the weight loss, but I don't really monitor how much I eat, but my appetite is how big compared to what it used to be. I will have to be rigourous in what I eat when/if I stop riding, but that is not in my short term plans. I wish I could be good and snack on carrots like one of the other replies to this thread does.

My advice is enjoy the riding, let your body enjoy doing the work. Your cardio system is getting a workout and weight loss is a bonus.

It's a really good question...and it is a complicated thing.

The bottom line is you need to take in less calories than you burn, obviously.

I've heard several dieticians say that loosing weight is 70/30. 70% food choice and 30% exercise. If you can cut out one thing in your diet to start, like a can of pop or juice, and make higer fibre/lower calorie choices througout the day, you can make a big difference over the long term.

The other factor is the burn cycle your body is in when you are working out. You want to burn off the fat, so you need to be sure you are exercising in your fat burning zone (based on HR) on your way to work. For me, thats a turtle slow 122 BPM. This is going to seem very slow to what you are used to, but thats the science.

The trick is to shift your breakfast to after your morning ride so there are few glycogen stores in you body. It will help you burn more fat.

But, like I said at the begiunning, it comes down to calories in, calories out, however, you don't want to be burning off muscle and glycogen during your workouts. It depends whether you want fast or slow weight loss.

Yo,

Keep up the great work.

If you are wanting to loose more weight, eat more Raw veggies and fruits. I go for 99% raw in my diet and the weight is shredding off. I ride about 13 miles each way to work 4-5 days/week and do my Bowflex 3-4 x/week for basic upper body toning. My wife and some of my friends freaked when they heard I'd went to an all raw diet, but my strength is great and they can't match my endurance, for the most part. I'm still about 280lbs. (6ft 3, large bones, "I'm not fat I'm big boned", -Cartman) so I'm not really a streamline rider, I'm working on my speed and uphills. Being large, I suck a lot of wind.

There are plenty of websites on raw foodism. I don't believe in any of the new-age mystic shall I say "crud" floating out there. God designed our bodies to function best on His foods. Not our processed/packaged garbage. I know this thread will receive some flames, but I just got a fire-retardant set of bike shorts, so flame on.

Grace and Peace,
Frank

fmbike said:
God designed our bodies to function best on His foods. Not our processed/packaged garbage.
Ummm, I think you'll find that evolution/natural selection designed our bodies. Other than that, I won't really disagree.....

L

Hi,

One thing to bare in mind - when you exercise you will initially loose weight but it may rise again. This frequently happened to me when I got back on the bike - the fat fell off but the muscle also started to build so don't get disheartened if things are not dramatic. And it is safer to loose weight slowly. Best of luck with it.

12sprocket,
Ireland.

Thanks every one for the great info, and taking the time to post a reply. Have got my self a polar vantage nv (second hand for 40 euro) and worked out that 75% mhr is 140 bpm. max is 187 bpm or there abouts lol hope i got that right.Change the tyres on the mtn bike to semie slick tyres. as the ones that came with it where only good for mountain climbing lol . I enjoy the cycling and look forward to going to work and coming home. will try to build up to about 50k a day but will need to find the time. I do eat after my ride. 2 banana's and lots of water. then lunch i have a salad in the afternoon i would have an apple. So i think i eat pretty ok. My legs have started to tone up big time, lol Not in any hurry to lose weight. just looking to enjoy myself. at something I like. and thats cycling. Well thanks again all.

For myself I found the best thing to do is to keep track of what you eat and how much you exercise. I got back into riding earlier this year after about a 10 year layoff and so far my weight has dropped from 240 to 205 & I trying to get down to about 175 or so, It hasn't been easy all the time, but I think I'm having success with it. The thing for me has been following the weight watchers plan and my weight loss has varied anywhere from 1 to 3.5 pounds per week. Cycling is exercise of choice for me and I try to get out 3 to 5 times a week for 30 to 60 minutes. But hey, if you don't want to do the weight watchers thing, at least keep a record of what you eat for 1 week, you'll be surprised by all the junk you eat or are tempted to eat.

Gearoid said:
Hi all, im 33 and started cycling a short time back. It was a bit hit and miss. But now im cycling 150k week, break down is 15k in2 work downhill most of the way and of course 15k uphill going home. Now over the last number ov weeks i have been getting better and better. But what i would like to know is, do i need to be doing more to lose weight.Now I have changed what i eat how much i eat and when. seems to be working. But is there more i could be doing. I would cycle all day if i could but i work 12 hour days so thats not an option.I dont eat **** at all these days and only drink water and not cola and the like. Im sure this has been asked so many times in the past. But you oldtimers need to infor us F.N.G
(Fecken New Guys) lol. cycle a mtn bike not a road bike.

Thanks

I'll add my .02 as a weight loss guy. I think most people view weight loss as very difficult. It's really not if you look at one thing. Simply losing 1 ounce per day will result in nearly a 23 pound weight loss in a year. It's a fragile line, which is why people balloon up or down so easily when they make an effort to eat or not eat. It's not hard to lose weight, but you need to concentrate on it. 1 ounce a day, -23 pounds a year. You can spit an ounce in 2-3 trys...

To put that in perspective, lets say the average guy going to his 10 year high school reunion has put on 30 pounds. Has he gone on an eating binge? Nah, just managed to gain a pound every 4 months. That's actually less than an ounce a week, but look at the result. You'd look at the scale once a week, or once a month and not even notice it. It creeps up on you. :eek:

In other words don't get "Crazy" with your diet. If its to much distant from what you were doing, you may not stick to it. You only need to lose an ounce a day to lose 23 pounds a year. If you didn't eat sprouts before you started dieting, now would be a lousy time to start eating them.

Oops, forgot my cardinal rule. NEVER call it dieting, DIETING SUCKS AND IS UNCOOL! Call it, "Eating Healthy". Eating Healthy is something we should all do, and is very cool. "Hey Bill, you look great, go on a diet"? "Nah just started eating healthy". See how much cooler that sounds! I started out dieting, realized that sucked, and started to "eat healthy", found out that was cool, and I stuck to it. I cheat like a homeless junkie with bad foods now and then, but I know what to do and eat. Knowing is half the battle.

Become familiar with the Glycemic index and eat off it accordingly. Look for foods that you like on both ends, and understand what they are doing to make you feel full, hungry, gain or lose weight.

Go to your grocery store and look around for the healthy foods you forgot that you liked. Become a SERIOUS label reader. I can make a trip to the store for bananas drag out for a hour as I'll get sidetracked reading labels looking at foods I forgot about (and I've been doing it for almost 3 years now and still find hundreds of new lables to read every week). "look, raisins, I kind of forgot about those, cool they have starfruit and Mangos in this store". I live on Weight Watchers TV dinners (those and Healthy choice and about 3-4 other brands). Why???? Because they are low fat, I can pick carbs or proteins and I know I'm only taking in a set number of calories, etc. You can totaly plan your diet if you know all the parameters of the food you eat.

Do you need to be doing more? that's up to you. You didn't mention how much weight you'd lost, if at all, over how long, and how much more you might be interested in losing.

People trapped in collapsed buildings can lose 30 pounds a month eating an occaisional bug and drinking their own urine.... I don't want to hear about your thyroid... LOL (that's actually a poke at my own binge eating brother that has taken to blaming his thyroid for his HUGE "beer belly", not the box of poptarts he sneaks at 3am...)

Best of luck, :)

I rediscovered the bike 3 years and 40 lb, actually only 30 lb ago now.

Did nothing to my diet. Ride only 4 miles each way to and from work, consistently.

Did need to get treated for asthma. Thought I was just jakking because I was out of shape and actually got worse as I tried to improve. Read an article in bicycling magazine, put two and two togehter and saw the doctor. An antihistimine and bronchial dialator later my riding immproved. I only have exercise induced asthma so it took a bit to recognize.

I'm only mentioning it as you do not see it mentioned often. I have to wonder how many riders bail when they are not improving from something that is very treatable. I later looked on line and found that a large number of US olympic atheletes are treated for this so it isn't surprising that it works for a hacker like me.

Started out at 225 lb got down to 185 lb, now at 195 but will try to eat healthy to eventually get to 175. pant size might actually be smaller than it was at 185.