General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Exercise Training and Insulin

Started by Jim Dumas · · Last activity · 95 posts · 2,809 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Jim Dumas
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,809
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. how many people actually want to decipher your overly
    complex, wordy posts, professor?

    dave

    Jim Dumas said:
    Tonya said:

    In short, you're trying to solve a problem with too many
    variables which change due to factors you cann never
    control with the accuracy you're striving for. The math
    and equatations are interesting but ultimately probably a
    waste of time, given the inherent uncontrollable
    variables.

    Hi Tonya,

    I agree that there are many unknown variables in SC
    dosing. But with short-acting insulins like Humalog and
    Novolog, the injection site issues or delays are almost
    nonexistant. Next, in my case, I've estimated the insulin
    action profiles for Humalog, Novolog and R for my
    metabolism, i.e., with antibody binding delays via the
    Glucose Transform. So I have eliminated much uncertainty,
    (in my case, antibody binding delays govern insulin action
    [this is the case with most long-term T1s, BTW, since
    antibody concentrations continue to rise for T1s on pumps
    or MDI]), by jumping directly to the glucose uptake stage
    in the cascade of insulin transport to target cells. What
    is interesting about my antibody binding to R, for
    example, is the peak insulin action of 5.7 hours post dose
    is extremely predictable, thanks to the antibodies in the
    bloodstream. This tends to eliminate other less important
    influences like injection site location or temperature of
    the injection site, for example.

    In any case, I beg to differ. My argument is: _Any_ math
    model is better than tossing darts for dosing post-
    exercise, as we T1s seem to do now.

    So let's refine the math to improve this "back-of-the-
    envelope" dosing approach many T1s are currently using.
    Moreover, by discussing this on MHD, we exchange ideas and
    move toward the best model for this effect.

    Finally, this is a good time to discuss exercise effects
    on insulin sensitivity with summer activities on the
    horizon. (There are certainly gender specific hormonal
    influences that I will not address. But the framework of
    the male model will still apply to the female as a
    starting point.)

    And thanks for input, of course.

  2. "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    In any case, I beg to differ. My argument is: _Any_ math
    model is better than tossing darts for dosing post-
    exercise, as we T1s seem to do now.

    Quoted message said:

    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

    I do a lot of exercise. My working day is often
    unpredictably strenuous. I run and cycle Insulin dosing has
    to take this into account.

    My mental calculations are all 'back of the envelope' and
    pretty good. I find that 'darts dosing' is very effective
    and sums up the whole 'dafne' approach. We learn to
    adjust insulin levels through trial and error improving
    with practice.

    Citizen_DM

  3. "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Beav wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    No thank you, Beav. My wife an I are quite happy. But
    ask BAD.

    You got married then Jim? I'm sure you mentioned it before,
    but I forget things. Anyway, congrats.

    And I don't think I'll bother asking BAD for a quickie, you
    were ALWAYS my first choice :-))

    Beav

  4. oldal4865 said:

    I'm a retired engineer. I use my wife's cast-off
    computers; I don't even use a digital watch.

    That ain't gonna work, Dude. The PeaBrain bicycle computer
    fits into my Levi's jean watch pocket. So your cast-off
    computers are too big to mount on the handlebars.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't "handle" the variable workout issue. Instead, I
    strive for constant workout at constant time-of-day
    with constant food in my belly and constant H + U in my
    fat layer.

    I want total flexibility to be spontaneous. I also want an
    empty stomach during my exercise to keep side-stitches (side
    pains that force you to stop your workout) to a minimum.

    And nothing is really constant no matter how hard you try.
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  5. you are an idiot! Of COURSE I exercise.

    dave

    steinar_m said:

    Simple, he does not excercise.

  6. steinar_m said:

    I myself find this really hard. Every morning, I bike 24
    km to the train, the train uses 35 mins into town, then I
    walk for about 25 mins to work. Same rutine on the way
    home. Often I have a low, which in turn brings a high when
    I am on my way to work.

    Share your finding and I will be happy!

    Hi Steinar,

    I currently ride 14 miles (22.5 km) every other day. I'm
    just starting to collect the necessary heart rate versus
    insulin dosage data to undestand the effect. I plan to post
    the results/model in the September time frame.

    This model must work for no exercise as well as exercise
    effects. This will provide a broad range of use to cover or
    predict excessive workout stress for weekend warriors, as an
    example. (What if I ride 100 miles [161 km] on a Saturday at
    an average heart rate of 135 BPM? How strong of an insulin
    sensitivity effect will I experience before I try this?)

    I also have a dosing computer model (HP-48 calculator) that
    uses the date-time of the end of the exercise period to
    estimate the decline in insulin sensitivity over a two day
    post exercise period. I wrote this about 6-7 years ago and
    am now finally testing it with the heart rate data of the
    bicycle computer. (Life gets in the way.)

    In any case, I'll post again when I find the correct model,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  7. Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been thinking about using two exponential decays
    summed to simulate glycogen store rebuild (one for muscle
    and the other for liver) after a training session, as the
    basic insulin sensitivity modifier for exercise effects.
    One could have 5 tau (time constants) set for 12 hours and
    the other for 36 hours, as an example. Then adjust the
    ratio for the mass of glycogen in each type of tissue.
    Lastly, normalize the function using AUC to duplicate the
    "observed time averaged insulin sensitivity" we see in our
    dosing adjustments. But I haven't put pencil to paper on
    this yet.

    AUC? Many physical processes are essentially exponential,
    but as I said, for me, on an experiential level things seem
    to act as threshold, step function, and beating wave events
    rather than simple linear or even exponential sums. I am
    sensitive to the multiple time scale lags because my
    exercise varies on multiple time scales as well. As in all
    of diabetes consistency increases control and decreases
    control effort.

    Quoted message said:

    So what is your method to compensate for exercise effects?

    I use a combination of pre exercise basal reduction and bg
    adjustment.

    Quoted message said:

    Glycogen stores increase with training. But I don't think
    this will have much impact on the double exp model
    mentioned above.

    In any case, I still think the total distance * average
    BPM is a minimum measurement to capture the required
    stress level data. How do you quantify the stress level
    for your current exercise method? You must have some
    numerical approach if you're adjusting your dose for
    exercise.

    Seems like a reasonable metric to me, although I would be
    inclined to use estimated calories expended, hard to do on a
    bike ride with elevation changes. As fitness increases I
    would expect ave BPM to fall for constant work.

    I don't use a numerical approach, or at least not a rigorous
    one. I cut back on insulin more or less heavily based on
    recent experience and vary the balance between insulin
    changes and bg increases based on how long in advance I know
    I will make the gym on a given day. My metric for stress
    level is perceived effort which is a very subjective metric.
    Based on perceived equal effort for a constant time, the
    various aerobic exercise machines will calculate caloric
    expenditures that vary by a factor of 2. Early on, I tried
    things along the lines you are pursuing, but simpler. I
    never came up with anything that worked for me. I hope you
    have better luck. Keep us informed of your progress. I will
    confess a bias. I've seen many free parameter models that
    can be tuned to match an existing time series very well, but
    can't predict their way out of a paper bag. And since it is
    not something I am good at, I gave up easily.

    -------
    Charly Coughran [email hidden]

  8. Beav said:

    "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
    message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    thlink.net...

    Quoted message said:
    mike gray said:

    I think yer trying to measure insulin/glucose
    utilization to a level of accuracy that is impossible
    with the human body and the Florida weather.

    Hi Mike,

    You use insulin. So how do you handle this variable
    workout issue now?

    Hi Jim, I'm not Mike, but.. :-)

    I work out the variable workout issue REALLY
    simplistically. I work 'til I feel just a TINY bit "off",
    then I test. I'm ALWAYS going to be low, so I eat
    something which I normally wouldn't DREAM of eating. A
    cream and jello filled doughnut for example. WONDERFUL
    they are and if I work too hard at trying to STOP that
    low, I'm not going to have that wonderful doughnut am I?

    Does it make me fat? Not on your life, because I've
    burned, and will continue to burn all that lovely
    glucose:-)

    So... I enjoy the work that brought about the need for the
    doughnut and I enjoy the doughnut even more and not ONCE
    did I need to do even simple maths LOL. All in all, a MUCH
    more fun way to deal with BG's.

    That's about it.

    My exercise regimens vary considerably from day to day
    (problem one). Things like mowing the lawn I can plan for
    from experience (as Coughran suggested). I still do 80 - 100
    dives a year, and that is highly unpredictable (the two
    biggest variables being water temp and current).

    I have collected a list of beginning dosages for various
    activities, and I usually (always, when diving) carb up
    (mmmmmmm, donuts) and exercise with elevated glucose levels.

    I don't worry about high bg levels for these periods. I
    don't believe the damage, if any, is relevant.

  9. Beav said:

    So... I enjoy the work that brought about the need for the
    doughnut and I enjoy the doughnut even more and not ONCE
    did I need to do even simple maths LOL. All in all, a MUCH
    more fun way to deal with BG's.

    Dear Beav,

    Doughnuts are wonderful accelerators of CHD-CVD.

    DMs have one artery of the heart that gets plugged
    without fail.
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  10. Hey Beav,

    How's the Beavette doing and the cholipops?

    Jim could make his life a whole lot simpler if he eased back
    on injecting INDUSTRIAL strength doses of insulin.
    Carboloading might go handtohand with this mania.

    There's another IDDT 09October2004 in Brum.

    Still looking forward to eating some Mr. Brain's [censored].

    Let's hear it for England against those Frogs on Sunday
    in Portugal!

    Cheers,

    BGN

    Beav said:


    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    tee hee! you wrote "sort of" what I was thinking about
    all the complex scientific jargon he throws around. I
    wonder if he thinks that jazz impresses anyone? All it
    tells me is he is obsessed.

    Jim's comfortable with his maths, but I doubt many others
    are as comfortable. I don't think he's trying to impress
    anyone, but I've been wrong before now :-)

    I think that obsessive behaviour IS something he should
    consider though.

    Beav

  11. I hardly need to listen to your ranting. I'll be out
    exercising shortly, you dumass.

    dave

    Jim Dumas said:
    Bay Area Dave said:

    All it tells me is he is obsessed.

    It tells me you don't have a training schedule for
    exercising. This variability in insulin sensitivity, post
    variable exercise period, is a major problem that you
    haven't a clue about. So take a seat.

    Some people just can't be quiet (i.e., don't know when to
    listen).

  12. Bay Area Dave said:

    how many people actually want to decipher your overly
    complex, wordy posts, professor?

    Dear Dude,

    Please plonk me again. Thanks in advance,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  13. Citizen DM said:

    My mental calculations are all 'back of the envelope' and
    pretty good. I find that 'darts dosing' is very effective
    and sums up the whole 'dafne' approach. We learn to adjust
    insulin levels through trial and error improving with
    practice.

    Hi CDM,

    If you can reliably adjust your dose, then you must have
    some math model to do so. Please tell us how you arrive at
    your dose values.

    Thanks,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  14. Bay Area Dave said:

    you are an idiot! Of COURSE I exercise.

    Dear Dude,

    Please increase your Prozac dose. Best wishes,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  15. "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    oldal4865 said:

    I'm a retired engineer. I use my wife's cast-off
    computers; I don't even use a digital watch.

    That ain't gonna work, Dude. The PeaBrain bicycle computer
    fits into my Levi's jean watch pocket. So your cast-off
    computers are too big to mount on the handlebars.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't "handle" the variable workout issue. Instead, I
    strive for constant workout at constant time-of-day with
    constant food in my belly and constant H + U in my fat
    layer.

    I want total flexibility to be spontaneous. I also want an
    empty stomach during my exercise to keep side-stitches
    (side pains that force you to


    stop

    Quoted message said:

    your workout) to a minimum.

    And nothing is really constant no matter how hard you try.

    Doesn't that sort of make a pigs ear out of your formula
    then Jim? btw, doughnuts are constant🙂

    Beav

  16. Charly Coughran said:

    AUC? Many physical processes are essentially exponential,
    but as I said, for me, on an experiential level things
    seem to act as threshold, step function, and beating wave
    events rather than simple linear or even exponential sums.
    I am sensitive to the multiple time scale lags because my
    exercise varies on multiple time scales as well. As in all
    of diabetes consistency increases control and decreases
    control effort.

    Hi Charly,

    AUC is Area-Under-the-Curve for the health-care
    professionals lurking. This is the integral of the double
    exp insulin sensitivity function that we would see in our
    insulin dose adjustments.

    My HP-48 open-loop feedback dosing model provides for
    dynamic dosing, thereby permitting tight BG control with
    variable diet, exercise and insulin. So I no longer require
    consistency in my DM management. But admittedly, it takes
    years to master this juggling act and I do not recommend it
    to the DM public (but maybe for T1 athletes).

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen many free parameter models that can be tuned to
    match an existing time series very well, but can't predict
    their way out of a paper bag.

    This just means there was no physiological basis in that
    time series model. But the double exp sensitivity model
    mimicks glycogen rebuilding in the two primary tissues:
    muscle and liver. It should therefore be closer to the real
    phenomenon we're attempting to predict. Also note the
    initial step function in the double exp model right when the
    exercise session ends. This likewise mimicks the physiology
    as well as your observations. (One of my problems now is to
    decide how to handle multiple exercise sessions within a 48
    hour window. Do I only use the last double exp or do I sum
    the effects of the closely spaced exercise sessions? So I'm
    planning a series of experiments to sort this out. It's also
    important to note that the model only needs n=1 to set up
    the math framework. [Any physiologist will attest to this.]
    So I don't need to run a clinical trial to say that specific
    model is the best one to use.)

    Thanks for your ideas,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  17. Bay Area Dave said:

    I hardly need to listen to your ranting. I'll be out
    exercising shortly, you dumass.

    Good.

    It's nice to know I'm having an influence on you. Best
    wishes,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
    hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
    exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  18. excellent idea. done!

    dave

    Jim Dumas said:
    Bay Area Dave said:

    how many people actually want to decipher your overly
    complex, wordy posts, professor?

    Dear Dude,

    Please plonk me again. Thanks in advance,

  19. "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> skrev i melding
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    you are an idiot! Of COURSE I exercise.

    dave

    steinar_m said:

    Simple, he does not excercise.

    The fact that you can't take a little joke, does not suggest
    that I am the idiot here.

    You have a pump, I don't. I can't get a pump. It makes me
    extreamly happy that people like Jim Dumas is around, they
    actually help people out by explaining and figuring out how
    to manage this [censored] better. You don't.

    r, Steinar

  20. "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Beav said:

    So... I enjoy the work that brought about the need for
    the doughnut and


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    enjoy the doughnut even more and not ONCE did I need to
    do even simple maths LOL. All in all, a MUCH more fun
    way to deal with BG's.

    Dear Beav,

    Doughnuts are wonderful accelerators of CHD-CVD.

    I'm sure they are Jim, but I don't want to tread carefully
    all my life right up to the end, sometimes it's beneficial
    to charge at life headon and accept that no matter WHICH
    route you choose, the destination is the same, but one way
    is a lot more fun than the other. And of course, I think the
    number of doughnuts eaten has to make a difference. There's
    probably even a formula for it :-))

    One doughnut per week = 10 minutes off the end of your
    days maybe?

    Quoted message said:


    DMs have one artery of the heart that gets plugged
    without fail.

    So why bother with all your work? If it happens to us all
    without fail, then you're as likely to have a clogging as
    anyone else aren't you?

    Anyway, I'll do some research, find out which artery it is,
    then get it checked. I'll do it every year and if it starts
    clogging, I'll get it by-passed, then recuperate with a
    nice cuppa tea and a ..... doughnut:-))). Preventative
    medicine eh? :-))

    Beav

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.