UK and Europe · Public discussion

EverLED in Cateye HL-500 Impressions

Started by Gippledocks · · Last activity · 1 post · 497 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 December 2005
Last activity
5 December 2005
Original author
Gippledocks
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
497
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For some time I've had a hankering to try a LED front lamp. I recall
    previous posts on this NG and elsewhere on the virtues of electrical
    regulation to maximise battery life and optimise brightness. I lack
    the skills for home-brew and had read that most of the ready-mades have
    no regulation. So I bit the bullet and got myself an EverLED which, as
    many here already know, is the well regarded 1W Luxeon Star LED and a
    cunning regulator built into a standard PR bulb package.

    Here's my impressions of it in my trusty Cateye HL-500 (no quantitative
    measurements, so apologies in advance to number junkies).

    Having read that it was more suitable for fixed focus lamps, I chose the
    EverLED with the Lambertian emitter (i.e. the domed one, not the egg
    timer one). They say it's rated at 1W, so I had no worries about
    melting the lamp by replacing the Cateye's 1.25W halogen bulb.
    Mechanically it really is a direct swap.

    Despite using batteries that I would have replaced if still using the
    halogen, there was a light sabre moment when I first flipped the switch.
    But enough boyish glee.

    Using it on my regular evening commute, the illumination on lit and
    unlit roads was head and shoulders beyond what the original 1.25W
    halogen bulb could do with fresh batteries. Later I compared the
    illumination on unlit roads with that of my other bike's Dymotec 6 with
    3W halogen B&M Lumotec Oval and things were less clear cut.

    The EverLED was probably putting out a little more light that the B&M
    but either its blue tint or the Cateye's optics didn't seem to make
    things visible in quite the same way (or perhaps simply not quite as
    visible). Beam spread from the Cateye was very good, making the verge
    plain and still reaching far enough ahead for my usual moderate speeds,
    though perhaps with a bit of a gap in the middle distance.

    Back on lit streets I parked the bike at the kerb and walked away to
    judge the lamp's 'being seen' quality. From any angle where I could see
    the lens, the lamp showed up well and at all practical distances.
    Interestingly it didn't look much bluer than those HID lamps that many
    modern cars have. Maybe drivers will see it and think 'self' rather
    than 'other'? Well, I can dream...

    It's only been a few days but the lamp continues bright (on batteries
    that were initially fading) suggesting that battery life will indeed be
    very good.

    So on balance I'm very pleased with the EverLED and relieved that it
    works with the Cateye's reflector and lens. The EverLED isn't a cheap
    bulb, but it's a good deal cheaper than the dynamo set on my other bike
    and almost equals its abilities. It's easy to understand why some drool
    over those 3W LED set-ups for dynamos from Solidlights. Now that would
    be something!

    Richard

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.