Road Cycling · Public discussion

Dynadex Parts for Murray

Started by RBR · · Last activity · 4 posts · 991 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 August 2004
Last activity
24 August 2004
Original author
RBR
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
991
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,
    Maybe someone can help me here. I found an old Murray MT Climber 10
    speed I would like to fix up for a neighborhood kid who can't afford one
    of his own. I specifically need some rear wheel derailer parts for it
    since one of the small sprockets is completely gone. It is labeled
    "Dynadex Falcon". I also will need the cable from the handlebar shifter
    as well. There may be a few other parts needed once this project gets
    along.(The brakes are in good shape after a bit of work) Anyone know a
    reputable place where I might be able to get these parts? My knowledge
    on bicycles is pretty limited, and I'm sure most may say that this
    particular bike may not be worth fixing, but I thought I'd give it a
    try. Any help on this would really be appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard

  2. "RBR" wrote: (clip) I'm sure most may say that this particular bike may not
    be worth fixing, (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If the choice is between fixing this bike, or the kid not having one, I'd
    say it is definitely worth doing.

    Where are you located? Many areas have sources of used parts, where you can
    save loads of money. The parts don't necessarily have to be the same brand,
    but, if you are not experienced at this kind of work, you will have to learn
    what is compatible and what isn't.

    Another suggestion: if you have a friendly LBS, and you explain to them
    what you are doing, they may be willing to help you along with used parts
    and advice.

    Finally, lots of bent or broken bikes wind up at the dump. Might be a place
    to look.

  3. Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:04:50 -0500, <[email hidden]>,

    RBR said:

    Hi,
    Maybe someone can help me here. I found an old Murray MT Climber 10
    speed I would like to fix up for a neighborhood kid who can't afford one
    of his own. I specifically need some rear wheel derailer parts for it
    since one of the small sprockets is completely gone. It is labeled
    "Dynadex Falcon". I also will need the cable from the handlebar shifter
    as well. There may be a few other parts needed once this project gets
    along.(The brakes are in good shape after a bit of work) Anyone know a
    reputable place where I might be able to get these parts? My knowledge
    on bicycles is pretty limited, and I'm sure most may say that this
    particular bike may not be worth fixing, but I thought I'd give it a
    try. Any help on this would really be appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard

    The derailleur parts you're missing (idler) are fairly generic across
    the brands of that quality. As suggested previously the dump may be
    the place to look for a donor bike. The cables are easily replaced
    with new ones.

    To keep costs reasonable it's sometimes cheaper to buy a $10 garage
    sale or thrift store bike for fixing up another foundling than buying
    the parts individually.

    You might be able to find charitable or non-profit organisations in
    your area doing on a large scale the wonderful things that you're
    doing as an individual. That would be a resource for locating cheap
    parts. I'm lucky to live in a city with a couple of community based
    bicycle shops that recycle bikes, sell used part and offer assistance.

    For information and instruction, Sheldon Brown's web site is
    frequently cited. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    --
    zk

  4. Hi Zoot and Leo,
    Thank you both for your replies and great ideas of where to look for parts.
    I will do some searching and see what I can find. The sheldonbrown articles
    look like they will provide me with some much-needed technical advice as
    well.
    Richard

    "Zoot Katz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:04:50 -0500, <[email hidden]>,

    RBR said:

    Hi,
    Maybe someone can help me here. I found an old Murray MT Climber 10
    speed I would like to fix up for a neighborhood kid who can't afford one
    of his own. I specifically need some rear wheel derailer parts for it
    since one of the small sprockets is completely gone. It is labeled
    "Dynadex Falcon". I also will need the cable from the handlebar shifter
    as well. There may be a few other parts needed once this project gets
    along.(The brakes are in good shape after a bit of work) Anyone know a
    reputable place where I might be able to get these parts? My knowledge
    on bicycles is pretty limited, and I'm sure most may say that this
    particular bike may not be worth fixing, but I thought I'd give it a
    try. Any help on this would really be appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard

    The derailleur parts you're missing (idler) are fairly generic across
    the brands of that quality. As suggested previously the dump may be
    the place to look for a donor bike. The cables are easily replaced
    with new ones.

    To keep costs reasonable it's sometimes cheaper to buy a $10 garage
    sale or thrift store bike for fixing up another foundling than buying
    the parts individually.

    You might be able to find charitable or non-profit organisations in
    your area doing on a large scale the wonderful things that you're
    doing as an individual. That would be a resource for locating cheap
    parts. I'm lucky to live in a city with a couple of community based
    bicycle shops that recycle bikes, sell used part and offer assistance.

    For information and instruction, Sheldon Brown's web site is
    frequently cited. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    --
    zk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.