Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Dura-ace cassette on Mavic body, float?

Started by curby · · Last activity · 4 posts · 864 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 May 2006
Last activity
19 May 2006
Original author
curby
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
864
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just put a 9sp Dura-ace cassette (two different ones actually) on my new wheels (Mavic Ksyrium Elite) and there is play between the cogs and the body...

    I used the spacer and there is no play from outside to inside (the cassette lock ring holds the cogs on firmly) but the cogs can move top to bottom and front to back on the freehub body, whats the deal? am I doing something wrong?

    the lockring threads in ok, is it possible this is the wrong body? these wheels are supposed to be Shimano 8, 9 & 10sp compatible...

    please don't tell me I have run into one of cycling's compatiblity conundrums...

    curby

  2. curby said:

    I just put a 9sp Dura-ace cassette (two different ones actually) on my new wheels (Mavic Ksyrium Elite) and there is play between the cogs and the body...

    I used the spacer and there is no play from outside to inside (the cassette lock ring holds the cogs on firmly) but the cogs can move top to bottom and front to back on the freehub body, whats the deal? am I doing something wrong?

    the lockring threads in ok, is it possible this is the wrong body? these wheels are supposed to be Shimano 8, 9 & 10sp compatible...

    please don't tell me I have run into one of cycling's compatiblity conundrums...

    curby

    I had the same problem, even with the 10spd spacer it wasn't enough for the lockring to clamp down completely. I ran 2 spacers and havn't had a problem since. Seems like the Mavic free hubs are a bit longer?

  3. Old thread:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t292924.html

    As mentioned in that thread, I used a 0.5mm spacer plus the Shimano spacer. I got a PowerTap soon after, so I can't comment on how it works long-term.

    The solution is to use 2 spacers (1 Mavic, 1 Shimano) or a spacer that replaces both. IIRC, the Mavic manual that comes with the wheels has a spacer pictured on the Shimano diagram, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

  4. myabe i don't understand or didnt post a clear description...

    i slide the cassette cogs on the freehub body and I could slide a strip of copper shim down between any 2 of the splines, between the cassette cogs and the freehub body... a strip of a coke can or a 1mm shim material slides right in... that seems like a lot to me... there is no play perpendicular to the wheel the lockring does its job but i assume that under load those cogs, esp. the individual smaller ones, can move on the body... maybe i'm worrying about nothing...

    all's'miles

    curby

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.