rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Downieville Downhill, July 17 2005

Started by johnfoss · · Last activity · 5 posts · 379 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
18 July 2005
Last activity
21 July 2005
Original author
johnfoss
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
379
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Six riders took on Downieville on the Sunday before their annual big
    race. There were lots of (fast) bikers there! We were:

    Corbin Dunn
    Louise Woolen
    Bevan Gerber-Siff
    Matt Chapman
    Steve ---
    John Foss

    Matt and Steve were new to us. One is from Tahoe City and the other from
    Reno. Lloyd Johnson was going to join us but came down with a stomach
    flu.

    So we had to pay for the shuttle, and rode up in an absolutely full van
    (15 passengers + driver) and bikes and unicycles stuck all over it!
    Front rack, rear rack and big top rack!

    It was too hot yesterday to ride Downieville. We were really, really
    beat at about the halfway point (green bridge). Drinking water &
    Gatorade didn't seem to change this. Definitely choose a cooler day. We
    figure it got up to around 95 while we were out on the trail. This is
    way above normal. The high for Sacramento was 105 yesterday!

    Downieville, which was part of the 2003 MUni Weekend, is an awesome ride
    with 4000' of descent in either 14 o 17 miles. And there's plenty of
    technical riding along the way, to the point of being relentless in some
    areas. It just keeps going down, with bump after bump after bump!

    Equipment notes:
    - You want a brake. You can do the ride, of course, without one, but
    you'll be sore for days unless you're a highly trained downhill
    monster.
    - You want a beefy, burly wheel. Read on to see what happened to me on
    my spindly 29er.
    - If it's as hot as yesterday, ride elsewhere. Otherwise, bring plenty
    of water, plus food. We were on the trail for six hours!
    - Use a KH seat. I was barely starting to be sore in the crotch at the
    end of the ride. That was far better than any ride I've ever done of
    similar distance!
    - It's always good to bring a spare tube. Based on my experience, a
    significant proportion of trail flats cannot be patched. Tire failures
    on trails tend to be catastrophic!
    - Along with your tube, make sure you have all the necessary tools to do
    the actual repair.

    I rode my 29er, which has a skinny rim and a tire I've hardly ridden.
    The previous tire was destroyed in a massive blowout when I was riding
    it last winter. I had to walk out of that one. I thought the 29er would
    be great for the long miles of this trail, though I knew it wouldn't be
    as fun on the technical parts, because I'd have to ride lightly.

    WRONG! Every time I do this ride (now 4), I realize it's more technical
    than the last time. This trail is fairly technical for at least 2/3 of
    its distance! Though the 29er was very nice on the smoother parts, it
    was no fun on the millions of rocks and little drops. My tire was always
    trying to fold over and pop off the rim.

    Until it finally did. WHOP! Uh oh. Remember that scene in Universe 2
    where Jacinto's Trials tire pops out of the rim to huge proportions?
    Mine did that. I scrambled to let some air out of the presta valve. It
    didn't pop! After I'd let a bunch of air out, I stopped to take a
    picture of this amazing phenomenon. There was this super-fat zig-zag of
    tube popping out the side of my tire.

    Big mistake. I should have kept letting air out. Before the camera could
    turn on, POP! A 6" rent in my tube. Lucky for me, Steve had a whole 26"
    tube in his pack. My savior! We weren't sure if it was going to fit, but
    I'm sure it went on easier than a 29" tube on a Coker. Without that
    lifesaving new tube, I would have been facing a walk of up to 10 miles.
    It would have been the worst walk ever!

    So I was able to continue riding, but now even more paranoid about
    popping my tire off the rim again. At one point I did a little "flat"
    drop off a root, and somehow landed wrong, felt the tire pop way out to
    the side, and toss me to the ground. I rolled over on my Camelbak,
    ending up covered in the moondust dirt the trail is coated in. My
    Camelbak probably saved my camera, which was in my butt-bag below it.
    Fortunately the tire had popped back into place.

    I had a leak, and had to stop and pump up the tire four times on the
    remainder of the ride. I was so tired the last time that I was almost
    willing to just walk instead. But there was another 2 miles or so to the
    car, so I'm glad I pumped.

    Steve and Matt are hardcore mountain bikers, so they have conditioning
    and skills from that sport. Credit Lloyd Johnson with helping them get
    into unicycling. This was probably their first epic ride, and they did
    great.

    Except for the part where Matt had to deal with a very dangerous
    cliffside retrieval. Right after dismounting on a cliff area above some
    rapids, where his uni surely would have gone into the drink, we were
    back on safe ground and I was thinking how lucky he was. Then he fell on
    some tiny little bump, and the unicycle slid over the edge! It was
    super-steep leafy, junky dirt, going about 120' or so down to the
    swift-moving Downie River. The first tree didn't stop the uni, but the
    second one did, about halfway down. We really could have used rope for
    that one, but Matt managed to figure out how to get down there, and
    worked out a route back up!

    At the midpoint of the ride we stopped to dip ourselves into the river,
    and wash off. Ice cold water! I put my feet in for a few minutes and
    then they were numb. It felt great! Matt, Corbin and Louise went
    swimming. Brrr! I thought about it, but that water was way too cold. I
    know how good it would have felt to get out though, and to lower that
    core body temp.

    All in all it was another great ride, with great people, on one of the
    greatest hard trails anywhere.

    Postscript:
    The first time I rode Downieville, I was sore for a whole week. I
    couldn't walk down stairs. I had trouble sitting down in a chair! I
    wanted to get some rides to work in this week, before leaving for NAUCC.
    Normally my legs would be too messed up for this. So I decided to ride
    to work this morning, before I got too sore. Now I'm here, and my legs
    are much more sore and stiff than they were this morning. I think they
    would have felt about the same with or without the ride.

    The question is, should I ride home or bum a ride? It's supposed to be
    106 this afternoon...

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41979

  2. I love the Downieville downhill! I will never forget it from CMW03. I
    would love to go back there some day.
    Riding it on a 29er with no brakes had to be a challenge, even without
    the blowouts. And I can imagine the heat would take some of the fun out
    of it. It's been that way here and it really takes it out of me.
    I'm glad everyone made it out safely, along with thier munis. I
    remember what the cliffside retrievals are like there.

    Thanks for the report, John. It brought back memories.

    So, did you ride home from work, or wimp out?

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni-motivated, Distance-curious

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41979

  3. Damn!! I'm tired of missing the cool rides. (I was in Eugene this
    weekend).

    I think I'd like to organize a Downieville ride before CMW.

    --
    mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41979

  4. Mmmm, that was a fun ride, right up until I felt my camelbak go
    empty---over 6 miles from the end! Scott, the heat most definitely took
    something out of it, namely our water! Without water eating wasn't very
    tempting, since it'd dry out the mouth. I also was too stupid to bring
    food on the trail, instead I brought cliff bars. I only ate 5 of them.

    Some of the later stuff in the trail is pretty awesome, but with a
    headache and dehydration it wasn't very tempting or interesting. I'd
    like to go back there sometime with a clear mind and fresh muscles, and
    see what's possible. I know I wouldn't've been pedalgrabbing that big
    log were it at mile 12.

    I'm happy to do it again, but maybe we should time it for a cooler
    weekend. How about December😎 ?

    I was decently sore yesterday, but I can sprint up and down my stairs
    once again. I noticed today that my muni is awfully dusty.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41979

  5. S_Wallis said:

    *So, did you ride home from work, or wimp out?*


    Okay here's the update. After riding to work on Monday I felt gradually
    more stiff and sore throughout the day. In the afternoon I found out the
    high was only supposed to be about 97, so no personal heat record for
    the ride home. Jacquie had offered me a ride, so I took it!

    Meanwhile, I discovered some poison oak on my forearm. Damn that stuff!
    It seemed to manifest itself in the form of a large patch, about 2 x 4".
    Usually it starts in little spots, so I think whatever oil got on me got
    rubbed (or washed) around during Sunday. Maybe my arm rubbing against my
    body while I held my seat? It's right in that area.

    Tuesday:
    Very sore, trouble walking. Poison oak starting to bubble up.

    Wednesday:
    Less sore! Able to pretend to walk normaly! Maybe the ride to work on
    Monday paid off! But the poison oak started bubbling up largely. By the
    end of the day it was officially very gross and leaky. Based on the
    really bad case I had two years ago, and the fact that we're leaving for
    NAUCC this weekend, it was time to call the doctor.

    Thursday:
    The doctor's assistant didn't take my blood pressure, as she was
    concerned about spreading some poison oak to her daughter. It's always
    great when the medical professionals are afraid of you! The doc gave me
    a perscription for Prednisone, which I'll be taking in reducing amounts
    for the next 20 days. My arm looks disgusting and I have to keep dabbin
    at the discharge. Yum. So far it's still confined to a 3 x 5" area on my
    arm, but a couple of tiny spots are trying to form elsewhere. I hate
    when that happens.

    BTW, my legs are still sore but I can function normally!

    I will be bringing my cooties to NAUCC. Hopefully by then the liquid
    part will be over.... Poison oak sucks!

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41979

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.