Dogs Hurt!

Tyler1407

New Member
Jun 27, 2004
I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of questions! Last week while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2) those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

"Tyler1407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of
> questions! Last week
while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice
enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my
bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced
cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of
cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2)
those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a
cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is
whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar
occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is
effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

Pepper spray. A small cannister fits neatly in the jersey
pocket and works well on dogs (but, be aware of the wind
direction if you have to use it!). Get the "cop strength"
stuff, instead of the dog-specific Halt product (it's too
weak for two-legged varmints).

~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats -
Software for Cyclists

more cruel to get killed because some dog ran you off the
road or under a truck.

my life is more important than any dog's discomfort.

I carry the LARGE size (size of a med small can of shave
cream) and when I go mountain biking in the boonies I carry
the super size bear spray - 20+ foot range, puts out a
cloud of it.

As another poster said, keep your head and check the wind
before you use it.

"keydates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some people may find that to be cruelty to animals,
> especially if it does
long-term damage to the dog. Other suggestions here:
> http://chainreaction.com/dogs.htm
>

> --

I suppose. Although that's an entirely different issue.

On a completely different subject, what's with all these spammers offering links to Simpson's ****? I mean, for one it's cartoon ****. And another, this is a bike newsgroup, not a **** newsgroup.

Auto Spammers know no usenet boundaries...

Anybody ever beaten a dog to death with a shackle lock???

just askin...

"Tyler1407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of
> questions! Last week
while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice
enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my
bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced
cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of
cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2)
those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a
cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is
whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar
occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is
effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

If it is in an area where where you frequently ride and you
see the owner let them know they are responsible if you get
hurt. There is a person with a 125 lb dog about 1 mile from
my house. The dog would run out and at you every time. I
stopped and politely informed the owner that dogs must be
under control and no matter how friendly he decided the dog
was it could easily upset a bike and he would be
responsible.

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Auto Spammers know no usenet boundaries...
>
> Anybody ever beaten a dog to death with a shackle lock???
>
> just askin...

I've had to shoot a few ferrel dogs and cats. It's not a
very pleasant thing to do and I am a firm believer that
people should leave their PETS at home where they belong.

Around here, a dog leaving the yard and coming onto the road
(not just running along side of me but at me) gets a face
full of Halt from me and the owner gets a visit from the
dogwarden the next day. I didn't use to report them, but the
warden is a friend of my wife who told her about one dog
owner who chased me down in his truck. She asked me "what if
it was a little kid riding by next time?" Strangely enough,
I have never seen that dog again after her little talk with
the owner. Dogs coming on to the road after a bicyclist is
agressive behavior, report it right away.

Michael Lester wrote:

> Around here, a dog leaving the yard and coming onto the
> road (not just running along side of me but at me) gets a
> face full of Halt from me and the owner gets a visit from
> the dogwarden the next day. I didn't use to report them,
> but the warden is a friend of my wife who told her about
> one dog owner who chased me down in his truck. She asked
> me "what if it was a little kid riding by next time?"

I once lived in a town where the dogs were a major problem
that way. Then the town got an animal control officer who
started actually controlling the problem. Boy, that led to a
lot of protest politics in town meetings, right down to bits
of parliamentary procedure which dog owners didn't
understand... heh heh.

> Strangely enough, I have never seen that dog again after
> her little talk with the owner.

I once saw a dog go out on the street to chase me - *and* it
ran in front of a car to do it. I yelled at the owner inside
his house, "I don't know if you care, but your dog almost
died!" The owner yelled back, I forget what, but I never saw
that dog again.

> Dogs coming on to the road after a bicyclist is agressive
> behavior, report it right away.

Amen.

--
-------- Scott Eiler B{D> --------
http://www.eilertech.com/ --------

"It seemed an unlikely spot for a sensitive songwriter from
Greenwich Village... She ordered the 20-ounce steak." -- Lin
Brehmer, Chicago DJ, describing his meeting in a steakhouse
with Suzanne Vega.

Check out http://www.udap.com/ They make this stuff to repel Grizzly Bear attackes and it reportedly works. There are several "tesitmonials" and few related to dogs (including one where the guy actualy turned around to spray the beast after getting away!)

Anyway, I've been chased more than a few times and have had a couple close calls so I want something to ward off attacks. I was thinking of the handgun idea as advocated by a few respondents. However, dogs have come at me from either side - does anyone really think they can aim and fire from either hand while piloting a bike? Maybe Dirty Harry in the movies...

Odd, I first came across a recommendation for the above spray in a gun magizine (Handguns, Aug./Sept. 2004 - "Outdoor Tactics")The author actually recommends this spray over a handgun for bear attacks! I consider this a "strong" recommedation as generally such sources advocate carring a big "magnum" and spending all your spare time practicing. I like riding more than shooting.

The biggest problem I can imagine with spray is the wind caused by the velocity of the bike. However, if you're on flat ground or going down hill, most dogs can be outrun. The problem is having a dog attack on a uphill grind. You really can' outrun them then (I can't at least). In this case the wind effect from bike speed would be minimal.