Do You Use A Light After Dark

I personally don't know the laws here where I am but I would never ride at night without a light, its just not worth the risk of getting hit by a car.

Now the new product Acebeam L17. This is a flashlight. Acebeam L17 has 1,400 lumens, can shoot up to 802 meters long and has a battery. It is a long range tactical rechargeable hunting flashlight. There are three colors: red, white and green. And now we have a discount! https://nitetorch.com/go/t1w0

I have my rear tail light on day or night. On cludy gloomy days having it on makes me a lot more visible. I'll turn the front one during the day if the weather gets a bit gloomy.

I agree Nigel. I leave my Niterider Omega 300 (numbers mean lumens of course) on flash mode during the day. With people driving distracted, the flashing the light will get their attention when they look up from texting for a half a second...at least that's the idea! But it's better than no idea!!

I've read two different studies on flashing lights vs non-flashing lights, Europe said that flashing lights made it difficult for motorists to ascertain how far they were from a cyclist, so they outlawed flashing lights of any sort. Canadian studies showed that flashing lights attracted the attention of motorists better than a steady light, so they allow for both, flashing and steady. I took those two studies and combined them! During the day I run with a 400 lumen Lezyne Hecto Drive 400XL on strobe mode, and the NiteRider Omega 300 on highest flash mode; but during the night I ADD 2 more lights. So at night the Hecto Drive is left strobing but is put on my helmet instead of the bars, I then add a Phillips Saferide 80 to the bars and that one is on steady (it doesn't have a flash mode anyways, but it's far brighter then the Hecto Drive is when it's on steady). Then I leave the Omega 300 on my seat bag and put it on the brightest steady mode, and I add a Niterider Aero 260 to my helmet and put it on alternating flash mode. If I end up on a dark country road or bike path I will usually turn the Hecto drive to steady mode as the strobing is annoying to me in the pitch dark, plus I can aim the helmet light in any direction I want to see something better, also the higher angle of the helmet light helps to highlight road imperfections so you can see a pothole with more detail, handlebar lights tend to make potholes look less deep leaving a rider to think it's not a big deal, but the higher up the light is the more depth those potholes take on. This is why true 4x4 drivers have those driving lights on light bars located above the cab of the vehicle.

The front light on during the day, not sure if I really need to do that, I do it anyway, but my thinking is that I have more control over what happens in front of me then I do behind me, so I really don't think the daylight front light is really all that necessary, but I do it anyway just in case. So if there ever was an accident and the motorist stops, which most do not, but then the cop can't say I wasn't doing everything I could to be seen.

And that's all the lighting I use. At night I do add ankle reflectors, and I add a Home Depot neon green mesh safety vest with wide reflective bands on it. Kind of nerdy that vest is but my safety is more important than how I look to others, I'm not riding to put on a fashion show!!

During the day, I might and might not have the front on. As mentioned, I think I control what is ahead of me.

However, busy rush hour times, I will use the front light as most stop sign intersections I cross are busy so I want them to KNOW I am there.

On a fast downhill, I use the strobe as I am doing 30+ on the fast but wide divided avenue. Cars waiting at stop signs waiting to cross through fast traffic. I want to be seen and though, as mentioned, the strobe may through off their judgement, I do notice that most cars will wait till I pass before attempting to cross. Even though I may be alone or very few cars most times, most seem to wait when I have the strobe.

One guy told me that I should never use the strobe as it confuses drivers thinking it could be an emergency vehicle. That is ok with me because whatever it takes to make them wait for me is always a good thing for my safety. Then also they may learn that next time they see a strobe, it could be a cyclist so if they wait, it's not like a stressful thing if they wait for an emergency vehicle or a cyclist.

I do however turn off the strobe once I finish the descents. I myself don't like strobes in my face so I don't expect the drivers around to deal with it either.

To put it essentially: after dull we ought tododgeshinning blue light which signals our bodies to be 'awake and alert'. Light at night ought to dim and warm to maintain a strategic distance fromexasperating our rest and confounding our bio-rhythms. ... Doctorssuggest minimizing introduction to shinning blue light for two hours some time recently bed.

After dark we should avoid bright blue light which signals our bodies to be awake and alert. In evolutionary terms, candle and fire light is alright at night, while artificial lights that emit bright blue light disrupt our circadian rhythms

I can't wait to see what the spam will be on the above
After dark we should avoid bright blue light which signals our bodies to be awake and alert. In evolutionary terms, candle and fire light is alright at night, while artificial lights that emit bright blue light disrupt our circadian rhythms

I can't wait to see what the spam will be like on this one.

1000 strobe on the front and 300 strobe on the back always on during daylight hours - and I never ride at night if I can help it. If not, I switch to lower lumens because it's darker.

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming from with wanting to be visible on the road, especially during daylight hours. Safety is always a priority. However, I feel that relying solely on high-intensity strobes might not be the most effective solution. Studies have shown that using too many lumens during daylight can actually be distracting to other road users. Instead, consider investing in a combination of reflective gear and strategically placed low-intensity lights. This helps maintain visibility without compromising the focus and attention of fellow cyclists and motorists. Stay safe out there! ;)

Ah, the Sunshine State's shining example of bicycle safety regulations. A lamp between sunset and sunrise, you say? I suppose that's to help cyclists find their way back to the Stone Age. And let's not forget the obligatory reflector, because who doesn't love being the bright beacon of hope on those dark, deserted roads?

As for other states adopting this enlightened law, I couldn't say, but I can imagine the thrill of cyclists everywhere, finally freed from the bondage of proper visibility. And what of your dear daughter's late-night escapade? I suppose it's only a matter of time before she trades her bicycle for a horse and buggy, just to complete the anachronistic motif.

So, fellow road warriors, let this FL law serve as a reminder that we must all do our part to make night riding as perilous as possible. After all, what's the fun in biking if you can actually see where you're going?

Florida's law makes perfect sense, and I'm sure other states have similar regulations. After all, we wouldn't want cyclists turn into ninjas in the dead of night, would we? And your daughter, dear vigilant parent, got schooled by the flashing finger of the law! A gentle reminder to us all: when cycling at night, be the beacon of hope and visibility on the road. ;)

Florida Statute 316.239(7)(a): "Every bicycle in use between sunset and sunrise shall be equipped with a lamp on the front exhibiting a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and a lamp and reflector on the rear of every bicycle which exhibits a red light visible from a distance of 600 feet to the rear during hours of darkness... A bicycle or its rider may be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by this section."