Do You Use A Light After Dark

sylvia_louise

Mar 27, 2015
In Florida, we have a law that we must have and use a lamp between sunset and sunrise when biking, along with a reflector. I am posting the statue below, so I do not mess up the terminology.

I am wondering, if other states have this law, too. I know it seems like common sense, but do you often see others out on the road, during these hours not taking these precautions?

My daughter was out the other night, and I told her to keep off the road! Low and behold, she got stopped! I was so disappointed in her for being so reckless and careless!

(7) Every bicycle in use between sunset and sunrise shall be equipped with a lamp on the front exhibiting a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and a lamp and reflector on the rear each exhibiting a red light visible from a distance of 600 feet to the rear. A bicycle or its rider may be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by this section. A law enforcement officer may issue a bicycle safety brochure and a verbal warning to a bicycle rider who violates this subsection or may issue a citation and assess a fine for a pedestrian violation as provided in s. 318.18. The court shall dismiss the charge against a bicycle rider for a first violation of this subsection upon proof of purchase and installation of the proper lighting equipment.

kana_marie said:
I don't know if its the law here or not. But I always have one on. I don't trust drivers to be careful and really watch out
Good to hear that you are proactive and use a light on your bike. I did a quick search. It appears that various bike laws fall under the jurisdiction of either state and local ordinances. Looks like the general rule is that at the very least, all bikes need a reflector on the back, along with a front white reflector. In addition, to a white light on front and a red light on the back. Perhaps, someone with more knowledge and experience can step up with more knowledge and insight in this area.

We don't have any rules about lights at night. It's up to you to install a light or reflector when you are out and about after sunset. Obviously, it's recommended to install some kind of light for your own safety. I have got a light in the front and back of my bike. I also have a flashlight attached to the spokes of my back wheel. And not to forget, the reflectors under my saddle.

I use a light at night. Bikes are vehicles, so it makes sense that other vehicles (cars) know exactly where I am. Also, I don't want to get hit. It seems like common sense but you'd be surprised by the amount of people that don't think to put lights on their bikes. I personally have a bunch of reflectors as well as a blinking light up front and a blinking light on the back.
As to whether it's a law here or not, I'm not sure, but I'm not going to take chances in the dark.

Dora M said:
We don't have any rules about lights at night. It's up to you to install a light or reflector when you are out and about after sunset. Obviously, it's recommended to install some kind of light for your own safety. I have got a light in the front and back of my bike. I also have a flashlight attached to the spokes of my back wheel. And not to forget, the reflectors under my saddle.

Oh, wow that is surprising that you do not this type of law on the books. I would have there would, at least, there would be a reflector regulation for bike safety. I like the idea of using a flashlight attached to your spoke. Very clever! How did you attach it?

I don't do a lot of night riding, but i would assume that's a law in my city. It makes perfect sense from a safety standpoint. If I was out at night cycling on the roads, then there's no way that I would go out without reflectors and even a flashlight because lacking those things is an unnecessary risk. I don't want to get hit by a car that's not paying attention or can't see me after all.

I think that it is a good idea to have that law to be completely honest. I know in my city I've been driving down the road and come across a cyclist without a prominent light or reflector on, and it was almost impossible to see them until I was just about to pass them. For safety reasons, I think that having a light on a bike would be such a great idea for any cyclist.

Reflectors and lights are required on a bike in my town. Not only is it the law but it is for your safety as well. Motorist are crazy. Take care of yourself first and make sure you are up to bike safety standards.

I can only imagine that the minor expense of a light is more than made up for by the increase in safety. These make you much more noticeable, even if you are not using them to see ahead.

My city is screwed up. Indiana state law requires only reflectors no lights, in Fort Wayne most people ride at night with no lights or even reflectors and the cops don't care. I've watched cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road, run red lights and all the time a cop is watching and they do nothing. So what's legal? nothing here, if you die on your bike the cops write up the report saying it was the cyclists fault for not having proper safety equipment and or riding on the wrong side of the road. I guess it's easier to to write a report that a cyclist was at fault in an accident rather than write citations for traffic law violations.

Froze said:
My city is screwed up. Indiana state law requires only reflectors no lights, in Fort Wayne most people ride at night with no lights or even reflectors and the cops don't care. I've watched cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road, run red lights and all the time a cop is watching and they do nothing. So what's legal? nothing here, if you die on your bike the cops write up the report saying it was the cyclists fault for not having proper safety equipment and or riding on the wrong side of the road. I guess it's easier to to write a report that a cyclist was at fault in an accident rather than write citations for traffic law violations.
I've been to third world countries where there is no laws about cyclist having any type of safety gear. These guys can be rip roaring in the pitch of darkness on the wrong side of the street and packing 2 people on the back. It is crazy in these places.

joshposh said:
I've been to third world countries where there is no laws about cyclist having any type of safety gear. These guys can be rip roaring in the pitch of darkness on the wrong side of the street and packing 2 people on the back. It is crazy in these places.
I know your talking about India. Those guys are nuts to think that they are safe to riding on piece together bikes with no reflectors and safety gear. Lights? What's that? You just use the lights coming off of the vehicles that are about to hit you dead on.

Here check this out. Third world countries at bicycle safety.

23_bike.jpg

Reactions: BobCochran
This way keeps me visible to oncoming traffic. Minus a light one may cause an accident. It is highly recommended.

It definitely should be required by law. A flashing light makes cyclists way easier to see at night and even a static one improves their visibility greatly over not having one. I had a cheap light that broke when my bike fell over so I haven't been riding at night but I definitely plan on getting one. I mean, cars use headlights for a reason.

I wonder if police just don't stop people who aren't using them in places where they're required because it seems like a waste of time. Maybe they don't see bikes as vehicles either like a lot of people.

I think it would be insane not to, really. It's just common sense to have a light after dark, unless you really want to get hit by a driver that didn't see you coming! So yes, I always use a light after dark. It's the smart thing to do if you wanna be safe.

I do use a light on my bike, but not so much because the law says so, but for my own safety. Sometimes I use my brother's bike who hasn't a light installed on and when it gets dark It feels quite uncomfortable.

Always. If I'm cycling at night I always have my front & rear lights on. On the front I have two powerful LED lights & on the rear two red ones. One flashing & the other just on. Some might say I'm going a bit overkill but it all adds to my safety. My lights are bright, pretty eye-catching & people can see me well and well in advance. And they are also great for when riding out in the country at night.

I think it might be a law here anyway (UK). Mind you, you probably wouldn't get pulled for not having lights. Only if the cop was having a bad day or if he was doing things by the book.