BimmsAndBices said:1972 2002 - the original M car
Yummmmmmmm. I like that model 🙂. Hehe.
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Bike Cafe · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
BimmsAndBices said:1972 2002 - the original M car
Yummmmmmmm. I like that model 🙂. Hehe.
I use to ride motorcycles and this was a hot topic. On a motorcycle, 4 or more wheeled vehicles would share the road with you, they just didn't pay any attention to you. Cell phones were a real problem! On a bicycle, drivers think you don't belong on the road, at least that seems to be the concensus of some individuals that have yelled out there window at me. Use the !?#@!?#@ bikepath !?#@!#@!, was the last statement I heard. I follow all the traffic laws just as cars. Brand of vehicle makes no difference. I've been yelled or beeped at everything from Lexus to 78' Ford truck with a 12" lift and 44'' tires. This is pretty sad being that I have only been riding 1 and a half months. Oh well, I enjoy riding way too much, besides they won't run over me will they?
(((((0))))) said:I love cars, things with wheels, shiny things, things that go fast.
It's people that generally annoy me.
yep i love shiny stuff especially FAST shiny stuff, cars bikes planes etc. they are only annoying when the person in controll of the vehicle is a moron and i have decided that on the most part...................people generally [censored] me:p
meehs said:It's funny how some of you stereotype and prejudge drivers of certain types of vehicles in the exact same manner in which we accuse motorists of stereotyping and prejudging cyclists. We complain about motorists being prejudiced towards cyclists and then you turn around and do the exact same thing. Nice! 🙄
But Meehs, drivers of metallic black Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDi Zetecs with about 78,000 miles on the clock definitely don't indicate to turn left at minor road junctions. There's no way you can say this is a prejudice. It's a fact. You ask any of 'em. 😄
No I do not hate cars. I like driving, I drive a sports coupe (25 mpg city, 30mpg hwy) and I probably take better care of my car (and bike) than I do myself. I notice a lot of the drivers are too wrapped up in their own world to notice/pay attention to the traffic around them, let alone signalling when taking a turn or checking their rear view mirror 😠 I am learning to stay calm when I notice/or became a victim of bad drivers.
I love it when the oil prices go higher, I hope it goes to $10 a galon and stays there. If I was king I'd also add 80% tax on gas and use the money to subsidize public transport, fix the roads, add bike lanes/trails, educate motorists and promote use of other forms of transport. Yes I know it is going to hit the economy, but a gradual rise towards more realistic prices is a good thing.
Treky said:No I do not hate cars. I like driving, I drive a sports coupe (25 mpg city, 30mpg hwy) and I probably take better care of my car (and bike) than I do myself. I notice a lot of the drivers are too wrapped up in their own world to notice/pay attention to the traffic around them, let alone signalling when taking a turn or checking their rear view mirror 😠 I am learning to stay calm when I notice/or became a victim of bad drivers.
I love it when the oil prices go higher, I hope it goes to $10 a galon and stays there. If I was king I'd also add 80% tax on gas and use the money to subsidize public transport, fix the roads, add bike lanes/trails, educate motorists and promote use of other forms of transport. Yes I know it is going to hit the economy, but a gradual rise towards more realistic prices is a good thing.
So you want to pay $20 for a loaf of bread. A realistic price would be around $1.80 leaving plenty of profit for the oil companies.
$10 a gallon, your bike tires would be about $300 a piece at that price.
I do not know how you calculated the price of bread/bike tire given the price of gas at $10 p/gal, but let us say I am sceptical of your formula. In europe the price of gas is about $6-7 p/gal, there the price of bread/bike tire is no more than here. Prices like $1.80 p/gal is probably of the past. As the demand increases (think China & India) and supplies diwindle the price of gas is going to go up. $10 p/gal may not happen while you and I are driving cars, but I think it will happen during the driving age of our kids.
Treky said:I do not know how you calculated the price of bread/bike tire given the price of gas at $10 p/gal, but let us say I am sceptical of your formula. In europe the price of gas is about $6-7 p/gal, there the price of bread/bike tire is no more than here. Prices like $1.80 p/gal is probably of the past. As the demand increases (think China & India) and supplies diwindle the price of gas is going to go up. $10 p/gal may not happen while you and I are driving cars, but I think it will happen during the driving age of our kids.
You don't know anything about truckers and the trucking industry. Wait until fuel goes that high and try and find a loaf of bread.
The US moves by trucking!
jhuskey said:You don't know anything about truckers and the trucking industry. Wait until fuel goes that high and try and find a loaf of bread.
The US moves by trucking!
Well the US will need to stop moving by trucking. In the near future China's oil consumption will exceed US oil consumption. And countries like India and China with huge growth rate means their energy needs will increase dramatically, adding to the global demand for oil, whilist the oil reserves are going lower and instability in the critical regions of the world compound the effects of increase in demand for oil. So folks in US are in for a rude awakening. Low oil price is not their birth right.
Treky said:Well the US will need to stop moving by trucking. In the near future China's oil consumption will exceed US oil consumption. And countries like India and China with huge growth rate means their energy needs will increase dramatically, adding to the global demand for oil, whilist the oil reserves are going lower and instability in the critical regions of the world compound the effects of increase in demand for oil. So folks in US are in for a rude awakening. Low oil price is not their birth right.
The US needs to do a lot of things differently ,but those remedies will take time and I do not see a major change soon.
The US will never function as Europe because of the geographic area but some Euro idea can be incorporated.
The only thing that is a birth right is being born and dying everything in between is choice and chance.
If we can keep our fuel prices down,yea for us.
It is unfortunate when prices increase so drastically it is the poor and the weak that feel it the most.
Treky said:I drive a sports coupe (25 mpg city, 30mpg hwy)
pretty pround of that figure eh?
MountainPro said:pretty pround of that figure eh?
Proud is not the right word for it. I do look at a car's mpg rating before I consider buying it, now that, I am proud of. I know alot of people do not even ask what the mpg is (well may be after the recent gas prices they will now).
Why do you ask? Do you drive a hybrid or something and want to gloat or do you drive a gas guzzler and envy even the 25mpg?
My bike is the most efficient way to communute to work for me and I do that most of the year. Now with that, the figure is something like one PBJ per round trip 😉
Treky said:Proud is not the right word for it. I do look at a car's mpg rating before I consider buying it, now that, I am proud of. I know alot of people do not even ask what the mpg is (well may be after the recent gas prices they will now).
Why do you ask? Do you drive a hybrid or something and want to gloat or do you drive a gas guzzler and envy even the 25mpg?
My bike is the most efficient way to communute to work for me and I do that most of the year. Now with that, the figure is something like one PBJ per round trip 😉
just asking...
Let's not turn this into a "my dad's muscles are bigger" argument please.
Let's not turn this into a "my dad's muscles are bigger" argument please.
BimmsAndBices said:Let's not turn this into a "my dad's muscles are bigger" argument please.
My dad's mucscles are bigger than your dad's. :p
BimmsAndBices said:Let's not turn this into a "my dad's muscles are bigger" argument please.
My dad's mucscles are bigger than your dad's. :p
wheelist said:My dad's mucscles are bigger than your dad's. :p
No my Dad's are bigger than yours. And his car is bigger and faster too!:eek:
Just kiddin...my dad is dead.
wheelist said:My dad's mucscles are bigger than your dad's. :p
No my Dad's are bigger than yours. And his car is bigger and faster too!:eek:
Just kiddin...my dad is dead.
Induray said:No my Dad's are bigger than yours. And his car is bigger and faster too!:eek:
Just kiddin...my dad is dead.
Mine too.
Ain't the world a sad place, eh? 🙁
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.