Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Disappointed with final bike weight ... any ideas?

Started by davidd86 · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,369 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 August 2005
Last activity
25 August 2005
Original author
davidd86
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,369
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I swapped out my old boat anchor Team Miyata steel frame for a used first-gen Giant TCR Team euro alloy frame. For the sake of saving $$, I re-used all my old components, and meticulously cleaned and rebuilt them, and it works great, but the bike weighs 21 pounds!!! I mean I have an 8-speed '96 Campy Record ti setup -- hardly state of the art in 2005 but hardly garbage either, nice feathery handbuilt wheels, a few pieces of road candy like Ti bolts where I trust them, a good old San Marco Rolls ti saddle, my beloved Cinelli 66 bars, Speedplay X/1 pedals, a 1" carbon fork w/alloy steerer, a cool Cinelli Alter threadless stem, a carbon seatpost, King headset etc. I had hoped the bike would be much lighter than it turned out to be. But I weighed it on two different scales and it's about 21.3 pounds. I.e., fat; chunky; portly; un-svelte; meaty; of heft. I mean that's as heavy as our old rusty Peugeot PX-10.

    Any ideas why the chubbiness?

  2. davidd86 said:

    I swapped out my old boat anchor Team Miyata steel frame for a used first-gen Giant TCR Team euro alloy frame. For the sake of saving $$, I re-used all my old components, and meticulously cleaned and rebuilt them, and it works great, but the bike weighs 21 pounds!!! I mean I have an 8-speed '96 Campy Record ti setup -- hardly state of the art in 2005 but hardly garbage either, nice feathery handbuilt wheels, a few pieces of road candy like Ti bolts where I trust them, a good old San Marco Rolls ti saddle, my beloved Cinelli 66 bars, Speedplay X/1 pedals, a 1" carbon fork w/alloy steerer, a cool Cinelli Alter threadless stem, a carbon seatpost, King headset etc. I had hoped the bike would be much lighter than it turned out to be. But I weighed it on two different scales and it's about 21.3 pounds. I.e., fat; chunky; portly; un-svelte; meaty; of heft. I mean that's as heavy as our old rusty Peugeot PX-10.

    Any ideas why the chubbiness?

    It adds up a gram at a time. Just oink lots of pizza, beer, and donuts and you'll match the bike. 🙄

  3. davidd86 said:

    I swapped out my old boat anchor Team Miyata steel frame for a used first-gen Giant TCR Team euro alloy frame. For the sake of saving $$, I re-used all my old components, and meticulously cleaned and rebuilt them, and it works great, but the bike weighs 21 pounds!!! I mean I have an 8-speed '96 Campy Record ti setup -- hardly state of the art in 2005 but hardly garbage either, nice feathery handbuilt wheels, a few pieces of road candy like Ti bolts where I trust them, a good old San Marco Rolls ti saddle, my beloved Cinelli 66 bars, Speedplay X/1 pedals, a 1" carbon fork w/alloy steerer, a cool Cinelli Alter threadless stem, a carbon seatpost, King headset etc. I had hoped the bike would be much lighter than it turned out to be. But I weighed it on two different scales and it's about 21.3 pounds. I.e., fat; chunky; portly; un-svelte; meaty; of heft. I mean that's as heavy as our old rusty Peugeot PX-10.

    Any ideas why the chubbiness?

    The current 16 lb bikes have a few big weight savers that yours does not. Your fork probably weighs 250-300 gm more than the current carbon-steerer forks. The "feathery" handbuilt wheels probably weigh 1800-1900 grams which is 300-400 grams more than the 1500gm lightweights that are available. You also give about 60-100 gm on the bars. What kind of cassette do you use--a steel one packs and extra 100+ grams over alloy/Ti. That Rolls saddle is probably close to 300gm or 80-120gm more than the lightest around. Those few things there add at least 800-1000 grams or up to 2+ pounds. Also in 1996, Campy was relatively heavy, even with the ti bolts, probably 1 lb heavier compared to the current group. That is not to mention that a state of the art 2005 carbon frame starts out at less than a kilo by itself which is probably 500gm less than yours. What kind of tires/tubes? You could shed 75+ grams/wheel with the lightest choices.

    But why sweat the grams? You have a great riding (and very durable) bike that didn't cost two or three months of mortgage payments. Enjoy it.

  4. I would't worry myself about the 10kg of my road bike, until my body weight is absolutely perfect- remember, it's the weight of rider + bike which matters when you're seeking to maximise your performance, and an extra kilo might just mean a fraction (~1/90) of the weight (and thus performance) of the total system. Focus on enjoying your riding!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.