decided to make it myself [52 teeth crankset with pics]

zanrock

Apr 16, 2013
i decided to move this from the cafe to here because i think that the topic really belongs here. like i said it got welded and cleanup and pretty much trued so i hope thathe pictures help do the justice of the work it took to do this. also i repressed the shaft into the drive side so now the fitting and shimming begins.

nice truvativ part (crank and spider), hopefully it works well

here are some pic's of the crank mounted and with the old crank shimano m-522 42 32 21 later i will show it mounted [bike upside down] so you can see the shims. you cant see it in these pictures but the shim needed on the drive side ended up being 8.25mm wide, i wanted this crank to sit pretty much like the old one and it looks factory just like it should be. i know the left side will be some work i got to get the side pressure right so i have no vibrations or looseness and the crank arm needs to look right too ill get it as long as i dont rush it....Rocky j

Looks good ...

BTW. I'm glad (or, I hope) your front derailleur swings out far enough!

Mr alfeng, good guess, i got the front derailer to work but it needs to be about a 1/2 inch longer. When the chain is in the first gear [the 30 tooth] the chain rubs on the bottom roller only when i choose 7,8,9 gear on the rear wheel. Otherwise the derailer works great. back on my progress got to put a few miles on and had to cut down the shim and collar on the left side. i'm pretty close to getting it fitting correctly but man what a difference this is. the bike feels like it should have been made this way, so before i push it more i need to finish the fitting but this was definetly worth this to me [the time and effort] i cant wait to push harder and make the smile bigger. rocky j

i took these last night, sorry if they are a liitle dark. now you can see all the shims and collar and that it looks good. still glad to say that i really love the bike and i have gained 4 m.p.h. except for the last 3 gears i have gaind 6+ mph. when i was in 27 gear my speed while peddling semi- hard was 18-19 mph now in 23rd is the same 18-19 mph and in 27th i average 25-27 and while peddling like a squirrel have hit 30mph [i need thinner tiresagain] so YEA its worth it. definetly created i think the right balance of a road bike and a mountain with a proper suspension rocky j PS if there are any questions or a comment about the bike or possibly wanting to see it [if you are in the new jersey area] leave a e-mail and i'll get back thanks

Incase anyone still wants to know I got about 100 miles and have it pretty much adjusted to where the cranks spins freely with no play side to side. Still I am glad to have done this., one note I have changed my 1.65 wide tires to 1.5 wide and have gained only a little bit more but I think that's it. but compaired to a 1.95 wide the thinner is best. well I guess that my story about the build is over but I now have the hybrid I think that should have been built.....rocky j

Well I have added 150 more miles to the crank and bike [been busy, weather work etc] and i got it totally worked out. that is the shimming, fitting etc I also had the guys at the bike shop try it and they were very impressed on how it all worked out so again I feel that is was worth it and for now the bike shop guys believe I have the only full [ modern not spring loaded] suspension hybrid bike in n.j. and I think there right

Hi everyone, I know it has been a long time since I commented about this build, I have to say that I wish it was not so cold here to ride but I have put 2000 miles with no problems. Due to my m.s. issues the cold temps make riding very hard.During rides I have had some problems keeping up with the road bikes ( 52 teeth compared to 57 teeth) but definetly made the roadies look while a mountain was staying with them. Later I will look for a 57 tooth gear but then the crank will be a 2 gear not a 3 so I am definetly proud of this build and would be glad if I could see more of like I have done, Rich

Sounds great ...

Nicely done!

You might want to try a 53t-or-54t Chainring, first, before installing a 57t Chainring ...

Depending on the incline-and-number of hills you encounter on your rides + the Cassette you are choosing to use, a 54t-42t combination might eventually serve you well.

BTW. Did you heat the crank up to remove the spindle (and, at ~what temperature) OR were you able to simply press/tap it out & back in place?

One tooth may help but well have too see what's available before I proceed again, I may have improved my mountain bike and made it a trainer but it will never be a road bike. So i may have to leave well enough alone.The shaft was a easy press out only used a 10 ton press set and removed it by hand and reinstalled by hand too.