Decided - 2013 Trek FX 7.3 Red

OldTimer79

Sep 4, 2011
Took a 7.4 Disc for a ride today. Very nice; brakes smooth but loud, you can really hear the pads rub on those discs. Then I took a 2nd ride on a 7.3 and really, it felt better to me. So I am having the shop order me a red one, should have it Tuesday evening! Besides the fact that the red looks sharp, I think it should be more visible on the road than the black ones.

That red they're splashing on the 7.3 this year is pretty awesome, ain't it?

I just bought a red 2013 yesterday. Rode it 25 miles round trip to work today. Really nice bike for the money.

I'm looking at the same one. As you get more ride time on it, please let us know performance as far as shifting, how does it handle, brakes, etc. Is there anything you're seriously considering changing out and if so why.

Thanks

Just did a 40 minute ride around town. Bike performing flawlessly. It is such an upgrade in every way from my old Fuji mb, changing things hasn't even entered my mind. I really like the isogrips with the extended palm rest. Shifting is very crisp and fast.

I've got 3 25 mile round trip commutes to work on mine this week. The roads where I live in Maine can be anywhere from fairly good to horrific with a lot having a dirt shoulder. I love everything about this bike. Shifting and braking are excellent. It's a little slow downshifting into 4th. I think it just needs a tweak from the LBS. Tires are perfect for what I want and the roads I ride on. I am a 52 year old out of shape marathoner that needs a change of pace from running in order to get in shape. I don't need to go 25mph in a pace line. This bike is perfect for my solo commutes. I average 12-15mph. With it's mountain bike gearing, it runs out of gear much earlier than a roady. On the flip side, it's got super low gears on the first ring. My 52 year old back loves the bars. The seat is firm, but I'm getting used to it with my bike shorts on (mandatory). The ride is firm. It is all aluminum. But its not punishing. I am going to look into seeing if my LBS can get a 7.4 fork for it. I will be getting fenders for it for rainy weather. So far a great bike for what it was meant for. Jay

That is good to know. Thanks. I really can't think of any improvements the bike needs otherwise other than my own add- ons.

Well, after riding my 7.3 for one week 25 miles a day, I determined that it was a very nice bike at what it did, but I needed more bike. 12-15 mph just wasn't going to cut it for me over the long haul. I wanted the versatility of a full road bike for longer days. I'm riding 5 days a week as it is. Fortunately my LBS was willing to take the bike back penalty free on a Trek 1.5. Boy, what a difference. I know dirt paths aren't going to be a reality, but that is fine. I ride all roads. It certainly is critical to hook up with a good bike shop that stands behind their product. Hats off to Rose Bike Shop in Orono Maine. Nice folks that aim to please. This experience goes to show,,,,try many bikes and be patient.

Attachments

• Trek 1.jpg
    Trek 1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 26