Hi,
I'm considering buying a full-size folding bike and am torn between the Dahon Matrix and the Montague Swissbike X50 (or the older MX Mountain), based on the specs. Can anyone recommend one of these above the other?
What I'll use it for:
* daily commuting (2.5 miles each way) plus everyday errands and trips around the SF Bay area, involving hills and some serious potholes
* occasional recreational trail/light(ish) off-road riding
What it needs to carry:
* me (5'5", 130lbs or thereabouts)
* occasional groceries/shopping 🙂
Why a folder:
* so that if I want to go home on the BART, or get a lift from a friend, I can take my bike more easily
* I have tentative plans to do a 2-3 month tour of the USA/Canada before heading back to the UK, so something that's relatively easy to take on planes, trains and buses would be good
Why 26" wheels:
* I feel like it'd stand up better to rougher riding
* I don't need it to be compact most of the time
Why these two models:
* front suspension seems like a good idea
* lots of gears - I seem to need at least 8 just for my commute (which is relatively flat)
Why the indecision (i.e. what I'd like help with 🙂 ):
* I like that the Matrix folds up without the wheel having to be taken off, but worry that the broken frame could be a point of weakness over time, and perhaps the Swissbike would be sturdier.
* I wonder if the Matrix is better suited for in-town (faster) riding (which is really the more important for me); the Swissbike seems to be more "mountainy"?
I haven't tried either yet, as I wanted to check first if I could rule one out and save a trip - and to see if there are alternatives I've not considered!
Many thanks,
Kate