Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Cyclist's desk fidget toy

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 424 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 December 2005
Last activity
21 December 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
424
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As a programmer, I spend a fair amount of time mulling over problems at
    my desk. I took an old 14T Dura Ace Ti cog and wrapped/connected 14
    sections of excess chain around it so it can't come off. It makes a
    really nice fidget toy and conversation piece for visitors.

    -Mike

  2. Quoted message said:

    As a programmer, I spend a fair amount of time mulling over problems at
    my desk. I took an old 14T Dura Ace Ti cog and wrapped/connected 14
    sections of excess chain around it so it can't come off. It makes a
    really nice fidget toy and conversation piece for visitors.

    -Mike

    Nice! I just made a Campy one and a DA one! Thanks for the idea.

  3. Someone who wisely chose to conceal his identity wrote
    :

    Quoted message said:

    As a programmer, I spend a fair amount of time mulling over problems at
    my desk. I took an old 14T Dura Ace Ti cog and wrapped/connected 14
    sections of excess chain around it so it can't come off. It makes a
    really nice fidget toy and conversation piece for visitors.

    You can wrap a second, outer length of chain around it, rivet it in
    place and the outer loop of chain will be able to revolve around the
    inner one, but won't come off.

    Another good fidget toy is a two link chain, makes a little
    parallelogram that is fun to snap back and forth...for small values of
    "fun."

    Sheldon "Must Be Wintertime" Brown
    +----------------------------------------+
    | Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
    +----------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. Sheldon Brown said:

    Someone who wisely chose to conceal his identity wrote
    :

    Quoted message said:

    As a programmer, I spend a fair amount of time mulling over problems at
    my desk. I took an old 14T Dura Ace Ti cog and wrapped/connected 14
    sections of excess chain around it so it can't come off. It makes a
    really nice fidget toy and conversation piece for visitors.

    You can wrap a second, outer length of chain around it, rivet it in
    place and the outer loop of chain will be able to revolve around the
    inner one, but won't come off.

    Interesting. Do you need a minimum size cog to start with?

    Ah! I'm trapped in an office far far away from my workshop! At least I
    have a bike on the wall so I could experiment and confirm that the 2nd
    loop of chain will indeed stay on 🙂

    -Mike

  5. Wow this solved my Xmas shopping for the wife🙂

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:16:21 -0500, Sheldon Brown <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Someone who wisely chose to conceal his identity wrote
    :

    Quoted message said:

    As a programmer, I spend a fair amount of time mulling over problems at
    my desk. I took an old 14T Dura Ace Ti cog and wrapped/connected 14
    sections of excess chain around it so it can't come off. It makes a
    really nice fidget toy and conversation piece for visitors.

    You can wrap a second, outer length of chain around it, rivet it in
    place and the outer loop of chain will be able to revolve around the
    inner one, but won't come off.

    Another good fidget toy is a two link chain, makes a little
    parallelogram that is fun to snap back and forth...for small values of
    "fun."

    Sheldon "Must Be Wintertime" Brown
    +----------------------------------------+
    | Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
    +----------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.