cycling headphones

Steve Watkin

Guest
I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that I
listen to whilst riding. I have tried most of the normal "in ear" type like
the ones that come with an I Pod for example but the right one always falls
out. Must have lop sides ears! So I think I need a pad type that goes over
the ear rather than in the ear and with a band that goes around the back of
the neck, but I am worried about wind noise. Other facts that may affect
the reccomendations are that i wear glasses and only occasionally a h*l***t
but nearly always some sort of hat. I have never used this type so any info
would be well received.

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that I
>listen to whilst riding. I have tried most of the normal "in ear" type
>like the ones that come with an I Pod for example but the right one always
>falls out. Must have lop sides ears! So I think I need a pad type that
>goes over the ear rather than in the ear and with a band that goes around
>the back of the neck, but I am worried about wind noise. Other facts that
>may affect the reccomendations are that i wear glasses and only
>occasionally a h*l***t but nearly always some sort of hat. I have never
>used this type so any info would be well received.

Try here: http://burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=859
Fred

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> writed in
news:[email protected]:

> I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that
> I listen to whilst riding. I have tried most of the normal "in ear"
> type like the ones that come with an I Pod for example but the right
> one always falls out. Must have lop sides ears! So I think I need a
> pad type that goes over the ear rather than in the ear and with a band
> that goes around the back of the neck, but I am worried about wind
> noise. Other facts that may affect the reccomendations are that i
> wear glasses and only occasionally a h*l***t but nearly always some
> sort of hat. I have never used this type so any info would be well
> received.

Ahhh! You too. I've had that problem too.
The two types of earphone I;ve had luck with were a very cheap set which
were hard plastic and sort of C shaped with the bud at an angle in my
lug-'ole, the others were a Thomson branded set with a large soft pad
that goes over the ear, and a plastic loop to go over the ear-lobe. While
I've never had a problem with distraction, or not being able to hear
traffic, I'd still like to find a mono-earpeice rather like the second
type. Never had a problem with wind noise - maybe I don't go fast enough!

Steve Watkin wrote:

> I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that I
> listen to whilst riding. I have tried most of the normal "in ear" type like
> the ones that come with an I Pod for example but the right one always falls
> out. Must have lop sides ears! So I think I need a pad type that goes over
> the ear rather than in the ear and with a band that goes around the back of
> the neck, but I am worried about wind noise. Other facts that may affect
> the reccomendations are that i wear glasses and only occasionally a h*l***t
> but nearly always some sort of hat. I have never used this type so any info
> would be well received.

I use inner ear ones and the straps of my helmet help to keep them in
place, although they do fall out sometimes. If they fall out helmet
straps also catch them (put them in before putting helmet on) so they
don't dangle or catch on anything.

Two things you might want to look for with whatever sort you buy:
In line volume slider means you can lock the keys on your MP3 player
(not sure if IPods can do this) and easily turn down/up volume if
needed.
Depending on where you attach your device, you may need a fairly long
cable to allow you to twist round. The 0.5m ones aren't good enough if
you clip an MP3 player to the back of your shorts but should be ok if
you have your IPod strpped to your arm.

peter

In article <[email protected]>
Steve Watkin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that I
> listen to whilst riding. I have tried most of the normal "in ear" type like
> the ones that come with an I Pod for example but the right one always falls
> out. Must have lop sides ears! So I think I need a pad type that goes over
> the ear rather than in the ear and with a band that goes around the back of
> the neck, but I am worried about wind noise. Other facts that may affect
> the reccomendations are that i wear glasses and only occasionally a h*l***t
> but nearly always some sort of hat. I have never used this type so any info
> would be well received.

How about something like this?

http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/view_product/x/2221/?a=504

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that I
>listen to whilst riding. [snip]

Sennheiser make excellent headphones and have recently launched a sport
range. I use the MX75 Sport model - they have a small extra lug above the
earphone that holds them in your ear and they are waterproof, even washable.
You can buy them for about £30 from amazon. http://www.style-your-sound.com

co10 wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:36:37 -0000, "Steve Watkin"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>I need recommendations for some suitable headphones for my radio that I
> >>listen to whilst riding.

> > None.

> Seconded!

You have trouble keeping them in as well, do you?

--
Dave...

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> co10 wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > None.

>> Seconded!

> You have trouble keeping them in as well, do you?

I always use proper headphones, I have no trouble with them falling off!

Alan

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Presumably the "don't use them" sub-thread are related to the helmet
> compulsionists; they are convinced they know what is best for others on the
> basis of "its obvious".

I don't think it makes much difference to your hearing - I'm eaither
being deafened by the wind whistling past my ears or I can hear a bit
of music. Either way I can still hear cars approaching.

If you've got it so loud that you can't hear anything else then you'll
have to make sure you look more carefully - not such a bad thing!

peter

in message <[email protected]>, fred2
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Mmmmmm, not sure about this!!
>>
>>> Try here: http://burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=859
>>> Fred

> What about this one !
> Keeps your ears warm and no wind noise either!
> http://burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=908

No, that link doesn't work either. Bloody **** web design...

;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...

> in message <[email protected]>, fred2
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>> "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:eek:[email protected]...
>>> Mmmmmm, not sure about this!!

>> What about this one !
>> Keeps your ears warm and no wind noise either!
>> http://burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=908

> No, that link doesn't work either. Bloody **** web design...
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...

Ok try this: http://burton.com/default.aspx

Then click : Gear - Men's - Hats and Beanies and there you should find 4
different styles with incorporated headphones each style in a variety of
colours.
Hope this works for you.
Fred

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, fred2
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

> > "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
> >> Mmmmmm, not sure about this!!

> > What about this one !
> > Keeps your ears warm and no wind noise either!
> > http://burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=908

> No, that link doesn't work either. Bloody **** web design...

Konqueror chokes on it and the W3 validator hates it, but Firefox copes
just fine.

in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, fred2
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>

>> > "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:eek:[email protected]...

>> > What about this one !
>> > Keeps your ears warm and no wind noise either!
>> > http://burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=908

>> No, that link doesn't work either. Bloody **** web design...
>>

> Konqueror chokes on it and the W3 validator hates it, but Firefox copes
> just fine.

If the validator chokes, then Firefox does not 'work just fine'. Rendering
invalid web pages just encourages the buggers.

Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
resin in the bottom of the toolbag.

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> in message <[email protected]>, fred2
> >> ('[email protected]') wrote:

<snip>

> >> No, that link doesn't work either. Bloody **** web design...
> >>

> > Konqueror chokes on it and the W3 validator hates it, but Firefox copes
> > just fine.

> If the validator chokes, then Firefox does not 'work just fine'. Rendering
> invalid web pages just encourages the buggers.

Would you rather not be able to access the content of pages that contain
invalid HTML? It wasn't so long ago that many sites were unreadable
unless you were using Internet Exploder, so at least things are moving
in the right direction. If the people who pay the perpetrators of ****
HTML code were better informed of their shortcomings then there might be
a major improvement, but all too often I think they just have the idea
that they should have a web presence without really understanding what
it entails in terms of usability and maintenance, and how badly a ****
site reflects on its owner.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

> <snip>

>> > Konqueror chokes on it and the W3 validator hates it, but Firefox
>> > copes just fine.

>> If the validator chokes, then Firefox does not 'work just fine'.
>> Rendering invalid web pages just encourages the buggers.
>>

> Would you rather not be able to access the content of pages that contain
> invalid HTML?

Yes. That's what the current specification *requires*, after all; it ain't
optional. And there's a good reason for that. As long as browser writers
are allowed to get away with rendering bogus websites in a way that other
browsers don't, we'll continue to have a balkanised web.

There are people out there who want to create and maintain monopolies;
their interests are not compatible with ours.

;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
-- Drink C'lloid