General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cutting calories and lifting - what happens?

Started by Philo · · Last activity · 4 posts · 320 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 January 2006
Last activity
4 January 2006
Original author
Philo
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
320
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've made
    it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.

    I'm lifting 3x a week and doing 45 minutes aerobics/day.

    I know that in theory you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time;
    what I'm wondering is what will happen over time - let's say I maintain a
    1000 Calorie/day deficit (with lots of water and lots of protein) - that's
    a 2lb/week weight loss. But what happens to my lifting - will I maintain
    what I lift? Will it drop as I lose muscle mass no matter what?

    Thanks!
    Philo

  2. Philo said:

    I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've made
    it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.

    I'm lifting 3x a week and doing 45 minutes aerobics/day.

    I know that in theory you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time;
    what I'm wondering is what will happen over time - let's say I maintain a
    1000 Calorie/day deficit (with lots of water and lots of protein) - that's
    a 2lb/week weight loss. But what happens to my lifting - will I maintain
    what I lift? Will it drop as I lose muscle mass no matter what?

    It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
    be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
    probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

  3. JMW <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Philo said:

    I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've
    made it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.

    It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
    be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
    probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

    Absolutely that's the main goal. But I like lifting, and would like to hold
    on to what muscle I can until I get a lot of the fat off. The primary goal
    is definitely fat loss - it just seems odd to think that I can be lifting
    regularly and have to drop the amount I'm lifting ("Let's see - last week I
    was squatting 245, so this week I'll try 235..."😉 🙂

    Philo

  4. Philo said:
    JMW said:
    Philo said:

    I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've
    made it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.

    It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
    be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
    probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

    Absolutely that's the main goal. But I like lifting, and would like to hold
    on to what muscle I can until I get a lot of the fat off. The primary goal
    is definitely fat loss - it just seems odd to think that I can be lifting
    regularly and have to drop the amount I'm lifting ("Let's see - last week I
    was squatting 245, so this week I'll try 235..."😉 🙂

    I think you're missing my point. There's no need to stop lifting.
    And I doubt you will lose much ground in strength; in fact, under your
    circumstances, you may actually make some strength gains. Really.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.