Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Crank spins forward intermittently during coasting(freewheeling)

Started by SniperX · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,972 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 November 2007
Last activity
15 November 2007
Original author
SniperX
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,972
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Recently I noticed that when I put the bike on a stand and spin the rear wheel forward(coasting or freewheeling), the crank will move forward intermittently without mi pedaling as I am not even siting on the bike. is this normal? (zipp 404s being used) I tried to do this on another bike and it dooesnt . the rear wheel spins smoothly n the cranks n pedals of the bike stays still without moving forward. . so is this normal or someting is wrong ?

  2. This is normal for some wheels.

  3. SniperX said:

    Recently I noticed that when I put the bike on a stand and spin the rear wheel forward(coasting or freewheeling), the crank will move forward intermittently without mi pedaling as I am not even siting on the bike. is this normal? (zipp 404s being used) I tried to do this on another bike and it dooesnt . the rear wheel spins smoothly n the cranks n pedals of the bike stays still without moving forward. . so is this normal or someting is wrong ?


    Freehubs normally have some drag and will cause that "symptom" on a free running system like bike on a stand.

  4. Each click you hear is accompanied by a mild pressure for the cassette to move with the wheel. When that pressure exceeds the forces resisting it (BB and derailleur pulleys) the cassette will move with the wheel, and thus the crank will move. To demonstrate, remove the chain and your cassette will happily rotate with the wheel.

    If you can spin the wheel while it is out of the bike and hold the cassette from spinning pretty easily, then all is well, you just have a very free moving crank. It could actually be a good thing.

  5. Go and service your freehub - if you have described it correctly it is a symptom of [censored] building up causing drag and thus the cranks turn when you are freewheeling. If its Mavic they have a good guide on how to service it on their website. Just be careful that you keep the pawls under control so they dont go flying when you slide the freebody off.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.