Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Could use a bit of advise..

Started by Scott C · · Last activity · 5 posts · 609 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 July 2003
Last activity
2 July 2003
Original author
Scott C
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
609
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To start off, I don't like people who say, "tell me what to buy".. and leave it open ended. Maybe
    I'll rethink this a bit.. but I've narrowed it down and my decision at this time is between Trek and
    Specialized, given the same price range of bike.

    I've ridden lots of bikes over the last few days and like the Trek Nav 300 and the Specialized
    Deluxe - I like the deluxe better a bit due to the rapid-fire (I think they call them) shift levers
    (index finger and thumb activated) - the Trek is a rotation hand-grip. The other issue is the Trek
    is $350, the Deluxe is $430 - enough different to keep me thinking. The Trek dealer told me he could
    replace the Trek shifters with the same kind as Specialized for $30. This makes sense to me, and I'm
    paying $380 then. Both bikes ride about the same to me.

    So, any comments from Nate and Cyclist101 / others who can constructively comment.

    Thanks

    Scott

  2. Quoted message said:

    I've ridden lots of bikes over the last few days and like the Trek Nav 300 and the Specialized
    Deluxe - I like the deluxe better a bit due to the rapid-fire (I think they call them) shift
    levers (index finger and thumb activated) - the Trek is a rotation hand-grip. The other issue is
    the Trek is $350, the Deluxe is $430 - enough different to keep me thinking. The


    Trek

    Quoted message said:

    dealer told me he could replace the Trek shifters with the same kind as Specialized for $30. This
    makes sense to me, and I'm paying $380 then.


    Both

    Quoted message said:

    bikes ride about the same to me.

    To my mind this is a very personal thing. If you're happy with the ride on both bikes and would
    rather save $50, then go with the Trek.

    On the other hand the Specialized bike is a bit better specced, so that might be $50 well spent. I
    think you're pretty much on your own there.

    I'm not sure that any advice someone can give you should really be helping you in making up your
    mind here. You need to go back to the shop and buy with your heart and your wallet.

    Regards,

    John

  3. Thanks John,

    I suppose deep down I agree, but this means I spend more money. I'll ride both again then decide.

    sc

    "John Appleby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've ridden lots of bikes over the last few days and like the Trek Nav


    300

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and the Specialized Deluxe - I like the deluxe better a bit due to the rapid-fire (I think they
    call them) shift levers (index finger and thumb activated) - the Trek is a rotation hand-grip.
    The other issue is the


    Trek

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is $350, the Deluxe is $430 - enough different to keep me thinking. The


    Trek

    Quoted message said:

    dealer told me he could replace the Trek shifters with the same kind as Specialized for $30.
    This makes sense to me, and I'm paying $380 then.


    Both

    Quoted message said:

    bikes ride about the same to me.

    To my mind this is a very personal thing. If you're happy with the ride on both bikes and would
    rather save $50, then go with the Trek.

    On the other hand the Specialized bike is a bit better specced, so that might be $50 well spent. I
    think you're pretty much on your own there.

    I'm not sure that any advice someone can give you should really be helping you in making up your
    mind here. You need to go back to the shop and buy with your heart and your wallet.

    Regards,

    John

  4. Scott C said:

    To start off, I don't like people who say, "tell me what to buy".. and leave it open ended. Maybe
    I'll rethink this a bit.. but I've narrowed it down and my decision at this time is between Trek
    and Specialized, given the same price range of bike.

    I've ridden lots of bikes over the last few days and like the Trek Nav 300 and the Specialized
    Deluxe - I like the deluxe better a bit due to the rapid-fire (I think they call them) shift
    levers (index finger and thumb activated) - the Trek is a rotation hand-grip. The other issue is
    the Trek is $350, the Deluxe is $430 - enough different to keep me thinking. The Trek dealer told
    me he could replace the Trek shifters with the same kind as Specialized for $30. This makes sense
    to me, and I'm paying $380 then. Both bikes ride about the same to me.

    So, any comments from Nate and Cyclist101 / others who can constructively comment.

    Hey, Scott. Are you sure you have the right price for the Trek? Their website shows MSRP of $450 for
    the 300. (MSRP of the Specialized Explorer Deluxe is $470.)

    Some of the components on the Explorer are a little nicer, but the Trek's are adequate for street
    use as well as light trail use. If you end up buying the Trek, definitely get the Rapidfire
    shifters since you prefer them (I also prefer thumbshifting to twisting, but it's definitely a
    personal thing).

    It's also a good idea to figure out anything else you want to change out (at cost with credit for
    stuff you don't keep) while you're spending money: tires (do you want slicks for street or something
    a little more aggressive for trails?), derailleurs (upgrading from the C102 to Acera front on the
    Trek should be $10 or less), and especially saddle (how long have you ridden on the saddle of the
    bike you end up buying? do you have experience with other saddles?). Most comfort bikes like these
    come with plush, comfy saddles, but everyone's anatomy is unique. Make sure the saddle on the bike
    matches you.

    Hope this helps.

  5. Thanks - Yes, have shopped around on the price and normal MSRP's are off the price at local stores
    in San Jose. I have ask many times about price, and for sure $350 for the Trek and $429 for the
    Specialized (different stores unfortunately).

    I will look into the Acera front deraileur - and tires.. did not think of this.

    As far as the saddle... I have 3 to "play with".. and my most recent is a wider one, springs, and is
    OK, but almost prefer a thinner one.. but I will alternate and see.

    Thanks again for the comments

    sc

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, any comments from Nate and Cyclist101 / others who can


    constructively

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    comment.

    Hey, Scott. Are you sure you have the right price for the Trek? Their website shows MSRP of $450
    for the 300. (MSRP of the Specialized Explorer Deluxe is $470.)

    Some of the components on the Explorer are a little nicer, but the Trek's are adequate for street
    use as well as light trail use. If you end up buying the Trek, definitely get the Rapidfire
    shifters since you prefer them (I also prefer thumbshifting to twisting, but it's definitely a
    personal thing).

    It's also a good idea to figure out anything else you want to change out (at cost with credit for
    stuff you don't keep) while you're spending money: tires (do you want slicks for street or
    something a little more aggressive for trails?), derailleurs (upgrading from the C102 to Acera
    front on the Trek should be $10 or less), and especially saddle (how long have you ridden on the
    saddle of the bike you end up buying? do you have experience with other saddles?). Most comfort
    bikes like these come with plush, comfy saddles, but everyone's anatomy is unique. Make sure the
    saddle on the bike matches you.

    Hope this helps.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.