Hi guys, just wondering taht with the plethora of XTR 8 spd cassetts that seem to be on blowout offer from the mail order places at the moment.
Anyone have any ideas on how to convert them to 9spd?
I know the 3 or 4 biggest cogs are on a holder and cant be fiddle with, but what if I take add a cog from a 9spd LX cassette and then swap all the 8spd spacers out with 9 speed ones, will this work?
Thanks for advice from anyone who has tried this or is just more mechanically inclind than I am as I trying to save up some cash to invest in duct tape stocks...
Hi guys, just wondering taht with the plethora of XTR 8 spd cassetts that seem to be on blowout offer from the mail order places at the moment.
Anyone have any ideas on how to convert them to 9spd?
I know the 3 or 4 biggest cogs are on a holder and cant be fiddle with, but what if I take add a cog from a 9spd LX cassette and then swap all the 8spd spacers out with 9 speed ones, will this work?
Thanks for advice from anyone who has tried this or is just more mechanically inclind than I am as I trying to save up some cash to invest in duct tape stocks...
The spacing is going to be all wrong for the large cogs that are on the carrier, so the shifting is going to suck. 9 cogs are not going to fit on the freehub body if you have 8s spacing for a few of them.
Anyone have any ideas on how to convert them to 9spd?
I know the 3 or 4 biggest cogs are on a holder and cant be fiddle with, but what if I take add a cog from a 9spd LX cassette and then swap all the 8spd spacers out with 9 speed ones, will this work?
By the time you get the end cog and the one next to it you wind up spending enough to get a 9sp cassette. It never works just right either. You can buy the 8sp cassette and just attach the derailleur cable to the opposite side of the mounting bolt and shift the 8sp casette fine.
Hi guys, just wondering taht with the plethora of XTR 8 spd cassetts that seem to be on blowout offer from the mail order places at the moment.
Anyone have any ideas on how to convert them to 9spd?
The difference in sprocket thickness betwee 8 and 9 speed is only about .02mm so if you used all 8 speed cogs and 9 speed spacers your new cassette will fit on the freehub just fine and you should have no trouble with 9 speed indexed shifters. Now, for every 8 speed spacer you'll increase the width of your cassette by nearly 1/2mm. so at some point (I'm afraid I'm not exacty sure how many) you'll be too wide to fit the freehub (8 and 9 speed use the same freehub body). As for shifting, no problem for friction as long as the cassette fits the freehub but 9 speed indexed shifting is not supposed to work with 8 speed spacing, although some have reported different results. I would guess that shifting would be less than ideal. For what it's worth, I have an mtb with 8 sprockets (and spacers) from a 7 speed cassette that uses 8 speed indexed shifters and freehub , and also a road bike that uses 7 sprockets and spacers from an 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed freehub with friction shifters. Follow that? Both work flawlessly. Your results may vary, but you'd be suprised at what odd combinations will actually work fine.