Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Conti Supersonics & Ksyrium: Any blow-offs?

Started by bikaholic · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,178 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 December 2003
Last activity
16 December 2003
Original author
bikaholic
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,178
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. HI All,

    I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season.
    I've heard of SS tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to high pressures.
    Can anyone verify this happens?

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Bikaholic

    Lemond Ti '01
    LeMond Zurich '98
    Schwinn Panther '00
    GT Dyno Von Franco '99
    Motobecane Mirage '73
    Diamondback V-link '95

  2. bikaholc-<< I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    No comment, a subject of another 'discussion'...

    bikaholic-<< I've heard of SS tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to
    high pressures. Can anyone verify this happens?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    The 'hook' of this rim is very similar to OpenPro, i would not worry about it but I wouldn't pump
    these up to the side max pressure either, or any tire, for that matter...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. bikaholic said:

    I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season. I've heard of SS
    tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to high pressures. Can anyone
    verify this happens?

    I don't know, but with any suspect combination, I test by over-inflating* and leaving to stand for
    36 hours. If tyre survives that, it should be ok at normal pressure in normal use.

    This test confirmed that a particular pair of Vittoria Open Corsas were looser (larger?) than normal
    after they blew off my Open Pro rims out on the road. Must have been from a bad batch. They've been
    fine on MA2s, and other examples of the same tyres have been fine on the OPs despite being
    beautifully easy to fit and remove.

    * by as much as you think the rim can take without damage (to the rim). Be prepared to loose an
    inner tube and warn the neighbours. The bang will be loud! :-)

    ~PB

  4. Quoted message said:

    but I wouldn't pump these up to the side max pressure either, or any tire,


    for

    Quoted message said:

    that matter...

    Question: some tires appear not to list a MAX pressure, but instead say "inflate to XX PSI". In this
    case, is it safe to inflate to the prescribed pressure?

    Kyle

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I ran Conti SS last year on Mavic Open Pro, upgraded to Ksyrium for next season. I've heard of
    SS tires "blowingoff/self-dismounting" from the K's rim when inflated to high pressures. Can
    anyone verify this happens?

    I don't know, but with any suspect combination, I test by over-inflating* and leaving to stand for
    36 hours. If tyre survives that, it should be ok at normal pressure in normal use.

    This test confirmed that a particular pair of Vittoria Open Corsas were looser (larger?) than
    normal after they blew off my Open Pro rims out on the road. Must have been from a bad batch.
    They've been fine on MA2s, and other examples of the same tyres have been fine on the OPs despite
    being beautifully easy to fit and remove.

    * by as much as you think the rim can take without damage (to the rim). Be prepared to loose an
    inner tube and warn the neighbours. The bang will be loud! :-)

    ~PB

    I agree with PB....The tire could be miss-formed and thus causing the tire to creep off the rim over
    a certain period of time. This time is also a function of the pressure. The higher the pressure the
    sooner the tire will come off....Best resolve is to 1. Inspect the rim hooks thoroughly, make sure
    your blow outs have not damaged the rim 2. Get another tire and mount 3. Inflate to MAX Pressure and
    let the tire sit for a couple of days.....If you have the same results you know there is an issue
    with the rim/rim strip....Otherwise it is just a miss-formed tire. This is something that can happen
    in a soft, pliable product like rubber.

    CB-1

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.