Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

"Comfy" Road Bikes e.g. Merlin Solis, Litespeed Veneto, ...

Started by sathomasga · · Last activity · 4 posts · 5,776 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 August 2003
Last activity
25 August 2004
Original author
sathomasga
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,776
Views / 30 days
9
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi Folks,

    Anyone have opinions to share on any of the high end road bikes that are supposedly biased more for long distance comfort than pure speed? Several manufacturers seem to have them: Merlin Solis, Litespeed Veneto, Cannondale RXXX Sport, etc.. The common thread is taller head tube and (slightly) sloping top tube, which result in a more upright riding position.

    I'm getting ready to upgrade from a Giant OCR3, and if the marketing blurbs are right, these would seem to be a good fit for my riding style and preferences. I prefer centuries and similar long rides and could care less about going real fast. (Just finished my first under 6 hour century last weekend.)

    Thanks in advance,

    Stephen

  2. Here's an idea: Rivendell - gorgeous bikes biased toward more upright, comfortable position. Favored by PBP riders and other very long distance types. Or one of those beam bikes, like Titan or Softride. Long distance riders often go for these, too. Another alternative is a Seven. They are GREAT bikes, and they are custom made. You can easily ask for the design to be biased toward your type of riding. Good luck.

    Matt

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by sathomasga
    Hi Folks,

    Anyone have opinions to share on any of the high end road bikes that are supposedly biased more for long distance comfort than pure speed? Several manufacturers seem to have them: Merlin Solis, Litespeed Veneto, Cannondale RXXX Sport, etc.. The common thread is taller head tube and (slightly) sloping top tube, which result in a more upright riding position.

    I'm getting ready to upgrade from a Giant OCR3, and if the marketing blurbs are right, these would seem to be a good fit for my riding style and preferences. I prefer centuries and similar long rides and could care less about going real fast. (Just finished my first under 6 hour century last weekend.)

    Thanks in advance,

    Stephen

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by sathomasga
    Hi Folks,

    Anyone have opinions to share on any of the high end road bikes that are supposedly biased more for long distance comfort than pure speed? Several manufacturers seem to have them: Merlin Solis, Litespeed Veneto, Cannondale RXXX Sport, etc.. The common thread is taller head tube and (slightly) sloping top tube, which result in a more upright riding position.

    I'm getting ready to upgrade from a Giant OCR3, and if the marketing blurbs are right, these would seem to be a good fit for my riding style and preferences. I prefer centuries and similar long rides and could care less about going real fast. (Just finished my first under 6 hour century last weekend.)

    Thanks in advance,

    Stephen

    Did you ever get the bike? I am interested in the Litespeed Veneto and there isn't much information about it around.
    If you got one, can you tell me if it is 'sporty' and accelerates well?

    Fred

  4. Bought a Veneto for my wife about a month ago. I've taken a few club rides on it, and I must say that it is comfortable. It's not just the geometry, but the titanium that provides comfort. Not as stiff as my C-Dale CAAD4, but I'm not a racer. On a 20-40 mile club ride, I can ride just as fast as the C-Dale, and the Veneto is better climber out of the saddle. Weight isn't quite as far forward, and power to the crank is better. I was all set to buy a Calfee Tetra Pro (carbon) until I rode the Veneto. Have since test rode the Merlin Solis, and I'll probably buy it since it fits me a bit better than the Veneto. Definitely sold on Titanium. I'll still probably get a Calfee when my finances return to equilibrium, but right now first choice is the Solis.

    fredf said:

    Did you ever get the bike? I am interested in the Litespeed Veneto and there isn't much information about it around.
    If you got one, can you tell me if it is 'sporty' and accelerates well?

    Fred

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.