Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Collision avoidance..... was Cycling as transportation

Started by Jerry Rhodes · · Last activity · 3 posts · 685 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
15 April 2004
Last activity
15 April 2004
Original author
Jerry Rhodes
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
685
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Larry,

    I'm sure that you know EXACTLY what I meant when I said "ASSUME that
    you are invisible". I Did NOT say ACT like you are invisible. There
    is a WORLD of difference there.

    We have lost quite a few recumbent friends in the last two years or so
    who were totally invisible to the people that hit them, most of them
    in FL.

    The agressive driver that sees you and desides to "give you a little
    scare" is no problem whatsover compared to the elderly, or otherwise,
    inattentive person that cannot see you no matter how assertive you are
    in "taking the lane", so to speak.

    I agree with you that we must act in a very pragmatic, rational way
    when dealing with people of unkown skills who are operating heavy,
    dangerous machinery.

    As to my not having ridden on the road...maybe not compared to
    you...but I have logged about 45,000 miles in the last 50 years with
    NO accidents. I have had many close calls that I avoided because I
    assumed correctly that I was INVISIBLE to the clod/clodette that
    seemed to be intent on occupying my "rightful" place on the road.
    This has happened to me on rural roads, crowded city streets, busy
    highways, neighborhood streets and parking lots.

    As a corollary to the above: My h'met is off those attentive "cagers"
    that have reacted properly to a stupid move on my part when they were
    INVISIBLE to me, thus saving my life and limb.

    BTW Do you know who are the WORST offenders, Public School bus
    drivers. I suppose their power to stop all traffic when loading and
    unloading gives them a god complex. I was narrowly missed just this
    morning. The big round mirror on the right front fender passed over
    me as I was on my way to work on the GR. I know the driver and I will
    discuss proper road etiquette with her at my first opportunity.

    Rear view mirror, don't leave home without it.

    Jerry Rhodes

  2. "Jerry Rhodes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Larry,

    I'm sure that you know EXACTLY what I meant when I said "ASSUME that
    you are invisible". I Did NOT say ACT like you are invisible. There
    is a WORLD of difference there.

    We have lost quite a few recumbent friends in the last two years or so
    who were totally invisible to the people that hit them, most of them
    in FL.

    The agressive driver that sees you and desides to "give you a little
    scare" is no problem whatsover compared to the elderly, or otherwise,
    inattentive person that cannot see you no matter how assertive you are
    in "taking the lane", so to speak.

    I agree with you that we must act in a very pragmatic, rational way
    when dealing with people of unkown skills who are operating heavy,
    dangerous machinery.

    As to my not having ridden on the road...maybe not compared to
    you...but I have logged about 45,000 miles in the last 50 years with
    NO accidents. I have had many close calls that I avoided because I
    assumed correctly that I was INVISIBLE to the clod/clodette that
    seemed to be intent on occupying my "rightful" place on the road.
    This has happened to me on rural roads, crowded city streets, busy
    highways, neighborhood streets and parking lots.

    As a corollary to the above: My h'met is off those attentive "cagers"
    that have reacted properly to a stupid move on my part when they were
    INVISIBLE to me, thus saving my life and limb.

    BTW Do you know who are the WORST offenders, Public School bus
    drivers. I suppose their power to stop all traffic when loading and
    unloading gives them a god complex. I was narrowly missed just this
    morning. The big round mirror on the right front fender passed over
    me as I was on my way to work on the GR. I know the driver and I will
    discuss proper road etiquette with her at my first opportunity.

    Rear view mirror, don't leave home without it.

    Jerry Rhodes

    Hells Bells! Another sane cyclist here on ARBR besides myself. For a moment
    or two I thought I had alighted on to Fantasy Island what with all the nuts
    and screwballs claiming that cycling is as safe as staying home in your bed.
    But I love to argue the obvious with otherwise intelligent people who do not
    seem to have any idea at all of what a statistic might mean. They are
    hypnotized by a number, at which point they bow down and worship the fact
    and call it evidence. The whole scenario is hilarious when we all know
    instinctively that cycling on the roads with motor vehicles is dangerous.

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  3. Edward Dolan said:

    ... The whole scenario is hilarious when we all know
    instinctively that cycling on the roads with motor vehicles is dangerous.

    And we used to instinctively know that the sun revolved around the
    earth, clay had a higher internal friction angle than sand, and other
    beliefs from observation that have been proven to untrue.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.