Coker

Coker is the name of a tire company. They mostly make
authentic looking tires for vintage cars. It happens that
they make a 36 inch tire and it happens that some people
like to use it for unicycles.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
Sig count: 2
04.05.14 10636
04.05.15 10772
04.05.16 10861
04.05.19 11088

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:44:52 -0500, "cyberbellum" wrote:

>But at the moment all Cokers have tires made by the Coker
>Tire company.

However, there are also what I would call pedigree Cokers,
When Coker started selling unicycles based on their 36"
tyre, they triggered something. Call it the Coker movement.
Now there are various frame, wheel and seat options, only
just still one tyre.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:43:12 -0500, "tomblackwood" wrote:

>Klaas Bil wrote:
>> *However, there are also what I would call pedigree
>> Cokers.

>One such pedigree Coker, a GB4 36", with Dave
>Stockton wheel:

Very nice machine. I meant 'pedigree' the opposite way
though, as in purely Coker in all of its parts.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--

1wheel wrote:
> *OK 36 inch wheel. So ,if I read you correct, any uni with
> a 36" wheel, built by whoever, is a coker. *

At the moment there is only one source for 36" tires so your
assumption is a little premature. If another company starts
making 36" tires then it could go the way you suggest (e.g.,
many people still call copiers "xeroxes"), or the term Coker
could be reserved for real Cokers.

But at the moment all Cokers have tires made by the Coker
Tire company.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

cyberbellum wrote:
> * At the moment there is only one source for 36" tires so
> your assumption is a little premature. If another company
> starts making 36" tires then it could go the way you
> suggest (e.g., many people still call copiers "xeroxes"),
> or the term Coker could be reserved for real Cokers.
>
> But at the moment all Cokers have tires made by the Coker
> Tire company. *

True but if I did put a different tire (if ever available) I
would still call it a coker. It would be like "I'll go get
my kenda.". That would be silly.

--
Tim - Coker user

I got me a new summit for $191!
Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

Tim wrote:
> *True but if I did put a different tire (if ever
> available) I would still call it a coker. It would be like
> "I'll go get my kenda.". That would be silly. *

I don't know, it's true that the most common 36"s are
still the stock "Coker" models, and it's true that any of
the 36"s, even customs, still have the Coker tire. That
said, there seems to be a bit of a trend to refer to the
newer custom jobs as 36's, not just as Cokers. I like this
trend, as it gives some credit to the folks doing the
innovation. I love my GB4 36, with the great frame by
George Barnes and U-Turn's invincible wheel. Likewise, I
think the KH 36 and Hunter 36 deserve their formal names.
They're definitely at least as much about the frame and
wheel as they are the rubber.

$.02 from Tom

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *However, there are also what I would call pedigree
> Cokers. When Coker started selling unicycles based on
> their 36" tyre, they triggered something. Call it the
> Coker movement. Now there are various frame, wheel and
> seat options, only just still one tyre. *

One such pedigree Coker, a GB4 36", with Dave Stockton
wheel:

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuw54/IMG_0632

Just can't resist showing this baby off. Every ride it
gets better.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

> Likewise, I think the KH 36 and Hunter 36 deserve their
> formal names.

There's a Kris Holm 36"?? If so, does anyone have a pic?

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"In conclusion, unicycle... or perish. Because in the real world, you
don't have time to think about a second wheel"
-Zach_Jucha
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832