Chris King hubs?

Chance3290

Oct 1, 2004
I just picked up a pair of new wheel built up from Chris King hubs. When I'm riding, if I back pedal, the chain gets slack and sometimes pops off the cog. The builder says this is normal with Chris Kings and will get better the more I ride.
Does that sound right? What are your opinions on Chris King hubs? They don't feel much lighter than the ones that came with my 2003 Alpe d'Huez, Tiagra I think.

King hubs are the best sealed in the industry. That means they can afford their exceptional warranty period, but the downside of seals is drag. The seals can have a higher than normal ammount of drag until they break in, but sometimes you can aid this a bit.
In the case of my Raceface bottom bracket, the manual calls for a light oil to be applied periodically to the lips of the seals. Doing so is almost night and day improvement. The important thing is to not use very much. If you use too much the lower viscosity can creep farther than just the seal and procede to dilute the grease. This is why some brands say not to do this.
Having not read a King manual, I can't say if this is the case or not, but this is the typical scenario.

As Conniebiker said; they are the best! Follow her advise and also have a look on Chris King's website for more detailed information. The hubs will only get better as they break in. Maintain them on a regular basis and they will be the last hubset you will buy! As for the weight issue; anyone can make a light hub. It's making them last for miles that only a few names can do. Besides, the weight at the center of the rotational point (your axle) is not as important as shaving weight at its furtherest point (rims, tube, spokes and tire). You won't feel any difference in acceleration or climbing hills with a lighter hub. You will however notice the difference with lighter tires and tubes (and spokes) when doing the same. The lighter weight at the perimeter takes less energy to start spinning and to keep it spinning up hill. Good luck and happy spinning!:)

Chance3290 said:
I just picked up a pair of new wheel built up from Chris King hubs. When I'm riding, if I back pedal, the chain gets slack and sometimes pops off the cog. The builder says this is normal with Chris Kings and will get better the more I ride.
Does that sound right? What are your opinions on Chris King hubs? They don't feel much lighter than the ones that came with my 2003 Alpe d'Huez, Tiagra I think.

never had the problem you describe, but the manual says drag can occur for the first 60 hours. after about 25 miles or so, take them to a king authorized, trained mechanic for adjustment (hopefully where you bought them/had wheels built.) there are a few adjustments/checks to make.

I feel king classic hubs are the best. I have a friend who had three sets of mtb wheels built around the same hubs - wore out or trashed the rims, but he hubs were just fine.

Chance3290 said:
I agree with the praise from other posters.
You can read for yourself about hub service/care on the Chris King website:
http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_hubs.html