Chris King Hubs & Lockrings

Al Frost

Guest
I've just built up a set of new mtb wheels with Chris King Hubs. When it came time to fix a 9-spd XT
cluster (11T cog on the bottom) I found that the Shimano lock ring does not have enough threads to
engage the drive shell. According to the instruction sheet King the user "MAY" need their lock ring
on some 9-spd cassettes. I called CK and was told that Shimano clusters have very wide tolerances
that result in this thread engagement problem. I suspect that is correct since I tried to fit an old
8-spd XT stack to the hub and the clearance between the cluster hub and the drive shell was so tight
I doubt that could get it off once installed. The kicker in all this is there is a 2 to 3 week wait
for CK lock rings because there has apparently been a run on them. A possible solution is to machine
off some material from the back of the cluster hub to allow the cluster to seat closer to the drive
side spokes. I have not verified the clearance between the largest cog and the spokes but it seems
like a lot of work to get this combo to work. Another solution is to find another lock ring long
enough to engage the drive shell. Any possible candidates out there?

ALF

Originally posted by Al Frost
[...]

Tioga makes cassette lockrings. You might check to see if they have longer threading on them. Icyclesusa.com sells them.
You will get more precision from Shimano's XTR cassettes. You might find one that works better than your current XT.
Shimano makes both an HG version and HG-C version of their lockring. Since I don't have a stock of them, I am not sure that the "C" version has any longer threaded area than the standard HG lockring, but it may be worth checking.
You should check the overall dimension of the XT cassette in question.
While you are checking dimensions, see what the CK cassette body measures.
You will see later why I make these suggestions.
Take a look at Shimano's web site at URL:
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/CS/ev_images/EV-CS-M760-2267.pdf
Do you have the lockring spacer, item #2?
Can you leave it out?
Take a look at Sheldon Brown's site, under Shimano cassette spacing, at URL:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing
Do the dimensions line up with these detailed specifications?
You might consider relieving the loose cogs and spacers a little to get the "desired" dimension.
I understand that CK runs into these kind of issues from time to time. I suggest that you place another call to them for a timely solution. They will be able to tell who bought their last run of cassette lockrings. You will need to check with those buyers to see who still has one in stock. Since some of those buyers will be distributors like Quality, you will need to deal with a shop that buys from the stocking distributor.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:12:32 GMT, Al Frost <[email protected]> wrote:
> Another solution is to find another lock ring long enough to engage the drive shell. Any possible
> candidates out there?
>
>ALF

A long shot, but I had a Sunrace lockring bind up a new hub because it was too long and was pushing
against the cartridge bearing (a cheap Performance Forte hub). Two different Shimano lockrings
didn't cause this problem. So see if you can locate a Sunrace lockring and see what happens?

I have no idea how deep you need to engage these threads for an effective installation, and no idea
if a Sunrace lockring will be safe.

Ritchey made a long thread lockring for their 2X9 setup Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
news:[email protected]...

Al Frost wrote:
> I've just built up a set of new mtb wheels with Chris King Hubs. When it came time to fix a 9-spd
> XT cluster (11T cog on the bottom) I found that the Shimano lock ring does not have enough threads
> to engage the drive shell. According to the instruction sheet King the user "MAY" need their lock
> ring on some 9-spd cassettes. I called CK and was told that Shimano clusters have very wide
> tolerances that result in this thread engagement problem. I suspect that is correct since I tried
> to fit an old 8-spd XT stack to the hub and the clearance between the cluster hub and the drive
> shell was so tight I doubt that could get it off once installed. The kicker in all this is there
> is a 2 to 3 week wait for CK lock rings because there has apparently been a run on them. A
> possible solution is to machine off some material from the back of the cluster hub to allow the
> cluster to seat closer to the drive side spokes. I have not verified the clearance between the
> largest cog and the spokes but it seems like a lot of work to get this combo to work. Another
> solution is to find another lock ring long enough to engage the drive shell. Any possible
> candidates out there?
>
> ALF

I had the opposite problem with my last shimano cassette -- too short. I had to add a shim.

But, my bike shop would have been happy to exchange it and send it back to shimano as defective
(they offered), but I put too many miles on it before I discovered that it was a little loose.

SO, take it back and ask for one that fits! :)

David