Road Cycling · Public discussion

Cause of Brazil crash?

Started by Callistus Valerius · · Last activity · 3 posts · 231 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 July 2007
Last activity
19 July 2007
Original author
Callistus Valerius
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
231
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. excerpts:

    According to the Brazilian press the runway was recently reopened after
    repairs but had not yet been "grooved", a measure that helps pilots reduce a
    plane's speed.

    In an interview with radio station CBN one unidentified TAM pilot said he
    believed the unfinished repairs had contributed to the accident. "During
    landings in heavy rain it is just like driving a car and feeling it skidding
    on the road. Grooving is not a prerequisite but it is an item of security."

    Talk to any commercial pilot off the record and he'll tell you that the
    runway is dangerous and that in the rain it becomes slippery."
    ------------
    runways, and streets are all slippery when it rains, so I don't think this
    was the cause. My theory is the tires were worn down too much. Obviously
    airliners are expected to land in rain, and I'm sure they are suppose to
    have tires that can handle the rain. I saw a car on time do a whole 360
    when it started to rain. When I got next to him I could see his tires were
    completely worn into slicks. They won't ever know because I'm sure the
    tires melted in the fire. But a second thought it could be the surface, I
    think I've seen some while riding that were more slippey than others, but
    nothing like riding over metal, which is slippiest material I have ridden
    on.

  2. Callistus Valerius said:

    runways, and streets are all slippery when it rains, so I don't think this
    was the cause. My theory is the tires were worn down too much. Obviously
    airliners are expected to land in rain, and I'm sure they are suppose to
    have tires that can handle the rain. I saw a car on time do a whole 360
    when it started to rain. When I got next to him I could see his tires were
    completely worn into slicks. They won't ever know because I'm sure the
    tires melted in the fire. But a second thought it could be the surface, I
    think I've seen some while riding that were more slippey than others, but
    nothing like riding over metal, which is slippiest material I have ridden
    on.

    Early reports said that it's a little too short to land large planes on
    in the rain. This came from a safety review of the airport, but the
    runway was reopened in February anyway.

    But can you race on it?

  3. Callistus Valerius said:

    But a second thought it could be the surface, I
    think I've seen some while riding that were more slippey than others, but
    nothing like riding over metal, which is slippiest material I have ridden
    on.

    I have no idea what caused the crash...but speaking of metal surfaces,
    have you ever been to a go-kart track that has metal corners? Its
    like riding in the snow/ice...especially when they take the extra step
    of sprinkling talcum powder on those metal corners in between heats.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.