UK and Europe · Public discussion

Carrera subway 24" for 11 year old?

Started by gangler · · Last activity · 2 posts · 683 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 September 2006
Last activity
25 September 2006
Original author
gangler
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
683
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone got any comments on a Carrera Subway with 24" wheels as a bike
    for an 11 year old boy? They have it for about £180 in Halfords (which
    is the
    LBS where I live :-(

    It has no suspension, and a 7-speed rear shifter only. It seems v
    light, and
    he seems to have accepted the point I keep making that all that
    suspension
    he would really like (and has on his current 20" wheel bike) makes it
    much
    heavier and harder to cycle. The Carrera is even lighter than his
    current bike.

    Any other suggestions? Any good compromises in the ease-of-cycling
    vs looking-cool trade off?

    Graham
    Aberdeen

  2. "gangler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    Anyone got any comments on a Carrera Subway with 24" wheels as a bike
    for an 11 year old boy? They have it for about £180 in Halfords (which
    is the
    LBS where I live :-(

    It has no suspension, and a 7-speed rear shifter only. It seems v
    light, and
    he seems to have accepted the point I keep making that all that
    suspension
    he would really like (and has on his current 20" wheel bike) makes it
    much
    heavier and harder to cycle. The Carrera is even lighter than his
    current bike.

    Any other suggestions? Any good compromises in the ease-of-cycling
    vs looking-cool trade off?

    My son is v.happy with his Subway though it does have a double chain ring at
    the front. He was four years older than your son when I bought the bike and
    after doing a 25 mile ride with me that embraced some mild green laning he
    was a convert to zero suspension having previously insisting on Y-framed
    double suspension eye candy. The matt black finish helped.

    There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with the Carerra range. The Subway
    and the Kraken have both had good reviews in the comics. There are some
    compromises made in getting the price down but my son's Subway seems to be
    coping with the abuse and neglect that he metes out.

    Seven gears for a seven year old is a bit of a hoot when I look back at some
    of the bike that i had in my youth - Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub gears. Sun
    3-speed derraileur and quite a few single speeders. I wonder how we all
    coped with such a limited range of gears ;-)

    I think the bike will do the job well and your son is likely to out grow the
    bike well before it expires if, indeed, it does.

    Don't be put off by going to Halfords. You might have a very competently
    staffed branch. I have never had less than satisfactory service from the
    three branches in Leeds.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.